PDA

View Full Version : My First AR15 Build M4 14.5" Profile

BrassSlinger
28 September 2009, 20:36
I plan on attaching an Eotech XPS to the top. It's intended to be my budget home defense/CQB build.

Lowe Receiver: Charles Daly Defense
- Magpul ASAP Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point
- Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
- Magpul CTR Collapsible Stock
- Hogue AR-15 Rubber Grip
- D&A Parts and Trigger
- DSA Buffer Tube

Upper Receiver: DSA Upper
- FSC556 Flash Suppressor and Compensator
- A.R.M.S. Gas Block/Folding Front Sight
- Adco 14.5" 1/7 Twist Barrel
- Magpul Moe Handguard
- BMC Bolt Carry Group
- BMC Charging Handle
- BMC Dust Cover
- BMC Forward Assist

Accessories:
- Tango Down Vertical Grip
- VLTOR Scout Flashlight Mount
- Fenix TK11R2 240 Lumens 1.5 Hours 90 Lumens 10 Hours
- Fenix Pressure Switch

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7550/ar15200932.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8749/ar152009.jpg
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8726/ar15200928.jpg

Stickman
28 September 2009, 21:47
I like most of it, but that coiled cord may give you problems at the worst time. Have you thought about what you are going with for a rear sight, or are you going optic only?

BrassSlinger
28 September 2009, 21:52
I like most of it, but that coiled cord may give you problems at the worst time. Have you thought about what you are going with for a rear sight, or are you going optic only?

The coiled cord is definitely a problem. Tomorrow I am going to splice and resolder the wires for the pressure switch. For the rear sight I just ordered the Magpul MBUS. I am trying to keep things light and affordable.

Eric
28 September 2009, 21:55
The coiled cord was the first thing that I looked at as a possible negative as well (more likely to get snagged on something). The Fenix light looks promising though. I only have a small AA version, but it has worked well. Maybe look into a straight cord if it is offered, or set it up using just the rear tail-cap switch.

Just out of curiosity, what made you go with the FSC556?

BrassSlinger
28 September 2009, 22:12
The coiled cord was the first thing that I looked at as a possible negative as well (more likely to get snagged on something). The Fenix light looks promising though. I only have a small AA version, but it has worked well. Maybe look into a straight cord if it is offered, or set it up using just the rear tail-cap switch.

Just out of curiosity, what made you go with the FSC556?

So far I love the Fenix flashlights, for the price it's hard to find another light that matches its performance in batter life and output. I took that flashlight to the gulf with me this summer and had in my pocket while I was in the water for 3 hours, it function fine and never had any problems. The only draw back with Fenix is the lack of pressure switch options and do be honest the pressure switch itself feels cheap. I am going to play with this setup and see if it works out.

I used the FSC556 because I liked the flash hider and muzzle break functionally, I had one on my previous rifle and I was impressed with its performance. I also need a muzzle device that meet the legal requirements to make the 14.5" barrel legal when pined. What would you have used instead?

Eric
29 September 2009, 00:22
I used the FSC556 because I liked the flash hider and muzzle break functionally, I had one on my previous rifle and I was impressed with its performance. I also need a muzzle device that meet the legal requirements to make the 14.5" barrel legal when pined. What would you have used instead?
Makes sense to me. Most of my shooting has been done with a flash suppression type muzzle device of some kind, but I've done a bit of work with some that are designed for flash suppression and compensator. Most seem to be more of a comp that a FS.

John Hwang
29 September 2009, 06:37
Nice looking carbine. How sturdy is the Tango Down Vertical grip on your MOE? I haven't run that combo yet.

Stickman
29 September 2009, 08:54
The coiled cord is definitely a problem. Tomorrow I am going to splice and resolder the wires for the pressure switch. For the rear sight I just ordered the Magpul MBUS. I am trying to keep things light and affordable.

Good ideas all around. The Gucci guns are certainly nice, but a solid reliable weapon is what counts.

BrassSlinger
29 September 2009, 11:04
Nice looking carbine. How sturdy is the Tango Down Vertical grip on your MOE? I haven't run that combo yet.

The Tango Down grip is rock solid but the Magpul handguard is not, it wiggles from left to right a bit.

BrassSlinger
29 September 2009, 20:43
Makes sense to me. Most of my shooting has been done with a flash suppression type muzzle device of some kind, but I've done a bit of work with some that are designed for flash suppression and compensator. Most seem to be more of a comp that a FS.

Since it's a shorter barrel rifle built for CQB and close range shooting, suppressing the flash is not my highest priority since the bad guys would likely know where you are shooting from. Now If I was building an SPR with an 18" barrel used for longer range engagements and maybe scouting and snipping the flash suppressor would be a much higher priority.

Although I never plan on getting into a gun fight that was my logic when building this rifle.

mlosi762
1 October 2009, 09:02
The Tango Down grip is rock solid but the Magpul handguard is not, it wiggles from left to right a bit.

I got a Magpul hanguard as well, and noticed the same problem man. It's not much, but it moves around a little bit. I'm not particularly fond or the slight play, but since it's not a free floating handguard, I'm not too concerned. I also have a forward grip mounted underneath, but only really use it as a reference point for my reaction hand. As long as you keep the butt of the weapon pulled tight into your shoulder when you're shooting, you should be fine.

As far as a pressure switch goes for your light. It's not really needed, and can be activated at the wrong time by accident. I have a an flip IR filter for my Surefire that I keep closed to prevent it from shining by mistake, and open it when needed. But that's just my preference, use what works for you bro.

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af44/mlosi762_photos/IMG_1543.jpg

BrassSlinger
3 October 2009, 20:58
Alight I think its now completed.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6712/picture001rv.jpg
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9026/picture003p.jpg

CCK
4 October 2009, 08:37
Looks like a solid piece. Good work!

Chris