PDA

View Full Version : My Weapon Evolution: What next?

Tucson
9 November 2007, 15:27
I am working on my first AR build. This is my story... My questions are at the end of the post.
I picked up this Bushmaster XM15 lower with unknown upper (Cardinal forge marked).
This is what it looked like when I got it:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/jloftus/June19111.jpg
First I changed the stock and replaced it with a VLTOR adjustable. Then I got a few 30 rnd magazines and a flip-up rear sight.
This was the next iteration:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/jloftus/misc021.jpg
The next couple of things I decided to explore were the addition of some sort of railed handguard with a VFG and a red dot optic and a light.
I went with the VLTOR CASV EL handguard, firstsamco VFG (just to see how I liked it) and a streamlight. The optic I chose was a cheap Famous Maker optic. It was a good way for me to explore this option without spending a lot of cash.
Here is what it looked like then:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/jloftus/Modifiedprofile.jpg
I realized that I like the idea of the optic and was ready to invest in getting one worth having and the firstsamco grip I purchased did not go on the rails easily at all so I decided to replace that as well. I chose a new VFG that I'm happy with. Picked it up at a local gun show. The optic solution I went with was the Bushnell Holosight. I know the hood on the EOTech provides protection for the optic but I'm not running into battle with this thing so that's the option I went with. I also picked up a GG&G sling adaptor and swivel mount.
This is the current configuration:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/jloftus/Aug07078.jpg

What to do next?
I want to be able to co-witness and can't because of my handguard and optic choice. I like the VLTOR system so I'm keeping that. I'm thinking Aimpoint with a low mount is the right solution. I know that I want to go the SBR route as well so I have completed my paperwork and will be sending if off in the near future. I've decided on a 10.5 in. Bbl. I saw one on another weapon that had the VLTOR CASV and I really like the look.
Does anyone want to make a suggestion - Who's Bbl do I go with? I also want the KX3 flash suppressor because of what I've read about it and I like the look. Do any similar alternatives exist that I should consider?

NvrenufRR
12 November 2007, 08:55
As far as the BBL goes, I'd go the LMT route or Sabre Defence if SBR are available, Unless you feel like coughing up for a Noveske (go this route if you can). I had a KX3 and they are great, but heavy and loud.
Couldn't tell you if a lo-pro mount on an aimpoint would let you co-witness, but it should be possible with that combo. Where are your sights now as far as co-witnessing?
So far it's a nice rifle, I'd get MORE ammo and mags too, IMO, there is no such thing as enough, and if your anything like others with BRD, you will get more. get them JIC they decide to ban them again.
Your upper looks similar to a Wilson Combat upper, Don't quote me on that though, I've only had time with one, but very similar in make except yours is SS barrel.
You may want to get a PRI fatBoy gas tube also with your SBR and a H or H2 or even a (mm buffer to help slow down and improve cycling.

longtalltechsan
13 November 2007, 16:49
Nice to see someone else in Tucson. Nice rifle.

Legion6
15 November 2007, 08:45
I like your evolution. It went well. Seems like you started with the baby steps and moved up without throwing large chunks of cash into the unknown.

LMT is a great choice for a barrel BTW.

Tucson
15 November 2007, 10:20
Thanks for the comments and the tips guys.

I do make significant investments in ammo. I picked up 500 rounds of UMC 55rg. from Wal Mart about a week ago. The last time I went to the range (Almost a month ago) I put about 400 rounds down range without a single malfunction.

Tucson
15 November 2007, 10:22
Nice to see someone else in Tucson. Nice rifle.

I tried to send a message to you via email but it seems you have that feature blocked. I was just gonna' ask where you shoot in Tucson.

longtalltechsan
17 November 2007, 19:26
I tried to send a message to you via email but it seems you have that feature blocked. I was just gonna' ask where you shoot in Tucson.

For now I go shooting out on West Avra Valley road on BLM land. However, I have heard they will no longer allow that starting at the beginning of the year. Where do you go?

Tucson
20 November 2007, 11:36
I've been going to the new range by the fairgrounds. When I want to go to a non-structured shooting area I follow the power line road east from Houghton about 1.5 miles. It's a narrow, dirt, utility access road that will get you out to a huge pit in the ground. Great for shooting.