PDA

View Full Version : Q's on combo gas block / folding front sight

S391
2 October 2009, 11:07
I'm in the process of retooling my m4 style AR. I'm going with a flat top upper and I picked up a Midwest Industries BUIS (SPLP version) as I was planning on keeping my A-frame style front sight / gas block. However, I'm adding an optic and I was playing around with a similar set up the other day and discovered that seeing the front sight through the optic drove me nuts!

I'm not an operator, I don't play one on TV and I didn't sleep at a holiday inn express last night so I think I'm ok if I get rid of it and go with a combo gas block / folding front sight. However, I'm not sure which one I should go with.

I see that MI has one that retails for $150 but I've looked at RRA's that run around $85 and YHM had one for under $80.... is the MI front sight that much better that it justifies the extra cash? If i went with a cheaper model what would I be giving up?

On the one hand I like the idea of keeping both sights from the same mfg to make sure everything lines up but I have no desire to spend double the money if I don't have too..... So, any thoughts?

Thanks.

Uglyduck
2 October 2009, 23:40
I had a YHM-9395-H on my last rifle and the pin that the site swiveled on would walk out sometimes. I managed to see it before it came completely out and push it back in so I never found out if the sight failed to function properly if it came out or not. I liked it but that always bothered me.

S391
6 October 2009, 18:27
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to stick with my A-frame front sight for now... it just seemed like a better option for the time being.

Eric
6 October 2009, 19:24
I leave the fixed front sight in place on just about all of mine. I've seen too many problems created by poor quality or improperly installed gas blocks/flip up units.

Paulo_Santos
6 October 2009, 20:10
If you plan on getting a Free Float Handguard Rail, you can get the FSB cut down and get a FF handguard that will go over it. Then put a BUIS on the Handguard. Or you can remove the FSB and replace it with a Low-Profile Gas Block and then get a Handguard that will go over the gas block. Something like this:

http://store.troyind.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SRAI-MRF-R2BT-01-2T.jpg