PDA

View Full Version : My rebuilt AR, couple questions

Slippers
5 October 2009, 15:07
I'm a new member to the weapon evolution forums, and greatly appreciate the wealth of information provided here from experienced users. I extend my gratitude to all of you that are in law enforcement or the military for what you do every day.

I've had a bushmaster 20" heavy barrel for over a decade, as I used to compete in CMP competitions when I was in highschool. Nothing fancy, just a service match setup with a freefloat tube under the handguards.

Over the last several months I've been fortunate enough to have both the budget and ranges available to me to get back into shooting again. Plus, the lady friend is extremely interested in learning how to shoot. After starting her off on several different .22 rifles, she now wants to use my AR, but it's far too heavy for her to shoulder since she's so small. I have also had the goal of taking some carbine classes, and wanted a better home defense weapon.

To that end, I've been slowly picking up new components over the summer, resulting in:

BCM 16" midlength upper
BCM bcg
DD Omega 9" rail
Magpul ACS stock w/BCM mil extension and carbine buffer
Magpul MIAD
LMT rear sight
Noveske QD endplate, properly staked :)
Bushmaster lower (original LPK that came with it in...1995?)

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5700/complete0004.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2394/complete0003.jpg

I've always been an iron sight user, but had a chance to use someone's Aimpoint T1 a few weekends ago. It's definitely on my list for a future purchase.

With about 500 rounds of Privi M855 through the new BCM upper, I haven't had a single misfeed, jam, or shortstroke. However, I've noticed a few things that I would like an opinion on:

1. The Privi M855 has a red sealant around the primers, and tends to leave a ton of residue in my bolt and bolt carrier. I find it extremely difficult to completely clean out from all the nooks and crannies. Is this a big issue?

2. After firing, every single shell has a slight dent on it, about midway down. I disassembled my BCM bolt to verify that my extractor has the correct spring and black insert. There is not an o-ring. Is this caused by the ejection of the spent casing being too hard?

3. It looks like my FSB is just a teeny bit canted. How many clicks off is considered within spec for windage? I zero'd it at 11 clicks left with the LMT sight, which has the half clicks like a 6/3 A2 sight. I could care less about it being symmetrical, but wondered if this seemed extreme for the zero. I get at least another 20 clicks or so before maxing it out, so there's still plenty of adjustment.

spamsammich
5 October 2009, 23:25
If I ever had any questions regarding my BCM gear, I would consult with Paul at Bravo first. 11 clicks is not outside spec for an A2 sight.

chococat
9 October 2009, 05:58
I don't think the sealant is an issue, i.e. enough to affect reliability of the gun. I've had the same thing happen with ammo and it just takes a little more time to clean.

As far as the brass it's difficult to tell what might be the culprit. Again, so long as the gun is running reliably, there shouldn't be an issue. Does the brass get dinged up with the other upper? One fix may be an 'H' buffer - available through Bravo Company - which might slow down the bolt carrier slightly. Finally, did you headspace the upper when you assembled the bolt to the upper? BCM stuff is very consistent but you should always check.

if you have any QC questions, you should contact Paul. Give him the opportunity to fix it if there is anything wrong.

Good luck,
Al

Quib
9 October 2009, 15:51
For cleaning the bolt and carrier, you might want to take a look at my procedure......http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490

Eric
10 October 2009, 04:20
Nice rig you have going there Slippers. I admittedly spend far too much time cleaning my weapons at times. I would work on removing the residue, but in reality is should not be a problem. Quib's tutorial is outstanding and should be required reading for anyone running the AR15/M4/M16. I use a similar routine, but have also switched to using Slip 2000 Carbon Killer (http://www.slip2000.com/carbonkiller.html#) to soak my BCG.

The T1 is an outstanding optic.

federalist22
10 October 2009, 04:36
After using Slip2000 at a Pat Rogers course, I am switching to their line of products.. It's like the hot sauce commercial where that old lady says...."I put that Sh!t on everything". Slip2000 has a viscosity like I have never seen and you can run your AR for countless rounds without a cleaning--Run it juicy with Slip is all I have to say. Cleaning is a chore and some consider it overrated, but it is a necessary evil. I will be using the Carbon Killer this weekend.