PDA

View Full Version : little bit of slop between new upper and lower..

Creeky73
7 October 2009, 20:25
There is a little bit of slack between my Sun Devil upper and Tactical Innovations lower. They are both new parts. The lower has a tension screw at the rear, so there is no problem there. The slop is at the front pin. There seems to be a very small amount of play between the pin tab on the upper and the two pin pillars on the lower. I'm sure I am not using the proper terms here but hopefully everyone can understand where I am talking about. The upper will actually shift back and forth a little bit at the front tab. Does anyone know of a cure for this?

Titleist
8 October 2009, 09:02
That slop is normal. It won't affect function. If you really need to get rid of it for anal retentive reasons (I know I did) you'll want to cut up a part of an o-ring and slip it between the front tab and lower. It's not optimal but it'll work and those rings cost pennies.

But the slop in general is normal. Some rifles are a solid lock up, some aren't.

John Hwang
8 October 2009, 15:51
I like some slop in my fighting guns. If I can't push the buttons out with my fingers, it's too tight. Everyone has their own preference on what they consider perfect. However, seeing tons of uppers / lowers, some slop is normal and perfectly fine.

Creeky73
8 October 2009, 19:33
I tried something similar to the O ring trick...you know those little rubber bracelets that people always sell, like the Livestrong things? I cut one of those in two, and shaved a little sliver of rubber off the end, and pinched that in between the tab and the lower when I closed it up. That definitely eliminated the play, but I wonder if it will get hot and melt under rapid fire. I could have probably lived with the play if it wasn't actually audible. when you picked up the rifle, you can hear the upper and lower tapping together when you move the gun. Also, there is a gap between the two pieces, it isn't very noticeable until you hold it up to light, but when you do, you can clearly see light through them. I don't care about it too much, it is obviously very small and probably nothing more than very small dust could get through it. I will just keep it religiously clean I reckon...These two parts look too good together :)

spamsammich
12 October 2009, 10:32
you should do absolutely nothing about the play between your upper and lower. It doesn't effect accuracy or function at all to have some daylight between them. You should see military issued weapons and you'd realize that a bit of rattle is inconsequential. Answer this honestly. Does a little bit of rattle actually throw your shooting off when you've got the weapon shouldered tightly, with good cheek weld, proper sight alignment, and ear protection? I will put good money on the answer being "no". The only time I EVER notice this "problem" is when I'm sitting there in my workshop fondling my rifle, NEVER on the firing line. my $0.02

Creeky73
12 October 2009, 14:43
You are probably right, I am perhaps expecting a little too much...