PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 SPX Continued QC Problems

ArizonaScot
8 October 2009, 10:16
Despite efforts from m24shooter lobbying for the rest of us and Mark Kresser (VP Sales & Marketing) with O.F. Mossberg stating that there are changes being made at Mossberg to improve QC, I believe these changes are slow to come.

I ordered a Mossberg 930 SPX from Clyde Armory despite having read all the issues about canted front sight, stripped receiver, loose trigger housing, etc. -- mainly because I believe it is a great shotgun. [crazy]

My 930 SPX arrived on 9/28/2009. I was excited and eager to open the box and once opened, I inspected it and. . . ..it has a canted front sight and loose trigger housing right out of the box. [bash]

The loose trigger housing doesn't bother me too much; it was the canted front sight that bugged me since I thought this issue has been resolved by Mossberg. At this point, I didn't even bother to go any further to check the front screws of the picatinny rail to determine whether they were over-torqued and stripped the receiver or not. They appear to be on solid so I did not want to mess with what was not broken.

I called Mossberg Customer Service this morning (10/8/2009) around 08:00 and surprisingly, a human named Rick answered the phone on the other end. He was polite when I explained my woes and offered to send a call tag so I can send the barrel back for a brand new replacement. I asked him what the turn-around would be and he said as soon as I get the call tag label, send him the barrel, and he will send a new one out. This part sounds like an improvement over what some of you have experienced previously dealing with Mossberg on the 930 SPX problems. But I will have to wait and see about this to believe it.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress of this matter. In the meantime, I would like to know if anyone has ordered a new 930 SPX recently and is experiencing these recurring problems that supposedly have been corrected by Mossberg? :confused:

Stickman
9 October 2009, 08:16
Please keep us posted.

ArizonaScot
12 October 2009, 17:01
I received my FedEx call tag label from Mossberg on 10/10/2009 two days after I called them. I would say that's a pretty good turn-around. Before I ship my barrel to Mossberg for a replacement, I've linked a couple of shots of the canted front sight. You get the "picture" (no pun intended).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2663/4006822000_32066599e7.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2658/4006827454_e8932346a0.jpg

I will also say this -- it's not so much that the sight is canted. It is brazed/welded perfectly perpendicular with respect to the barrel. It's just not brazed/welded where it should be when the barrel is attached to the receiver and magazine tube. If I could just "twist" the barrel slightly to the left. . .then all would be good.

Tomorrow I will drop the package at FedEX and let's see how fast Mossberg can ship me a new barrel. ;)

Optimus Prime
12 October 2009, 23:09
Wow... didn't anybody just sight down the thing before they sent it out? That's pretty obvious...

ArizonaScot
13 October 2009, 10:55
I don't know what QC process Mossberg has and I know I don't manufacture or build guns for a living, but the minimal QC I would do if I was would be -- after final assembly, inspect for defects in workmanship, work all the actions, fire a few rounds down range (requiring someone to sight down the barrel), disassemble, clean, reassemble, lubricate, reinspect, work all the actions again, and if everything's good, put your QC sticker on the gun, package, and ship to nearest arm dealer or sporting good store.

I might not make any money going through a QC process like that, but at least I know it would reduce the likelihood of any mishap along the manufacturing and/or assembly line getting past the front door.

Problems/issues/defects which surface afterwards should be addressed and corrected as timely as possible to restore the owner's confidence of the product and manufacturer.

As an example, to share my Customer Experience with Springfield-Armory. I have three .40 XD pistols (one XD and two XDm's). Each came with a target, showing that the pistol was fired. This at least tells me someone inspected the pistol, worked the actions, fired it, and how close it came to hitting the target. The original XD recently developed a front sight creep. I called Springfield-Armory, a lady answered the call on the first ring, politely listened to my problem, e-mailed me a call tag to return the slide at no cost to me. A week later, I received my slide with a new front sight installed. They even packaged the slide in a plastic case. Can't beat that kind of post-sale service and support. I guess that's why I have three XDs.

[:D]

jungle05
29 October 2009, 21:10
Wow... didn't anybody just sight down the thing before they sent it out? That's pretty obvious...

I just picked up my 930 SPX today, shipped from Buds Gun Shop. The front sight is canted and it looks like the rear sight has been dialed to the right to compensate. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Also the trigger housing is loose.

It's disappointing coming from a reputable manufacturer, but I guess you get what you pay for. I paid $552, about what a CAI AK-47 costs, with canted sight and maybe trigger issues. Wish I could afford an FNH, but at twice the amount I couldn't justify it. I, however, will likely face nothing more menacing than a paper bad guy and perhaps some unfortunate grape fruit.

Sparkz
30 October 2009, 13:00
I picked one up used yesterday & the trigger housing on it is also loose. I put 100 rounds thru it without a single hitch. My front sight is just very slightly tilted, but not so much that I could even tell if it makes a difference in hitting my target. In reality, unless you're shooting slugs, how much of a difference could it really make at HD shooting distances?

BTW, does anyone know where I can get a pistol grip stock for it? I know Mossberg now sells the SPX with one, but I can't seem to find any after market PG's for it. Supposedly Choate was going to make one, but I can't find it anywhere.

RedCell
30 October 2009, 17:51
Here is what I found when searching some time back. I'm still on the fence about this stock myself.
http://www.choatemachinetool.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?Product_CatalogID=2961&ProductNumber=02-01-40&ProductCode=23&ProductSubCodeID=152&NewProduct=0&recordno=1

jungle05
4 November 2009, 20:20
Ran about fifty rounds through the 930spx and found, as I suspected, the rear sight had been adjusted one click to compensate for the canted front sight. It shot to point of aim at ten yards. So apparently Mossberg knows they are sending out a flawed product.

Still, it functioned with a variety of buckshot and slug loads, including Winchester heavy target loads, Remington Managed Recoil 00 and slugs, various full power 00 and #4 shot, and slugs from 1250 fps to 1600 fps. Also fired some Centurion. The only thing that didn't work just right was some Winchester low recoil target loads. On two occasions it didn't cycle the bolt.

With the price and ease of operation I think this shotgun is ideal for us folks who didn't grow up shooting and have had no formal training. First time out i could shoot faster and with more control than I ever could with my 870 with Knoxx stock. Even the heaviest loads tested were mild compared to the same loads from my 870. Everything was manageable. I feel confident that my wife can pick up this weapon and use it effectively.

It would be nice if the front sight was straight, and I think Mossberg should get it right, but it didn't hamper the performance. I can't wait to blast some more cans and would like to hear of anyone's experience with the 930spx

Sparkz
8 November 2009, 11:59
Took my 930 SPX apart for cleaning the other day & couldn't locate the Gas Seal Ring that is shown in Fig 10 in the owners manual. Then I removed the threaded ring that holds the spring in the lug welded under the barrel & the gas ring was under the spring. When I re-assembled the gun I put the seal ring in front of the gas piston as shown on the diagram (Fig 10) but I'm not 100% certain that's correct. Anyone know where it's REALLY supposed to be located? I tried called Mossberg but couldn't get a live person to speak to.

Thanks

Sparkz
8 November 2009, 12:01
Here is what I found when searching some time back. I'm still on the fence about this stock myself.
http://www.choatemachinetool.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?Product_CatalogID=2961&ProductNumber=02-01-40&ProductCode=23&ProductSubCodeID=152&NewProduct=0&recordno=1

Thanks for the link, looks like it could be good. If anyone has it I'd like to hear from them.

Chucksan
28 November 2009, 07:00
I just purchased a 930 SPX from a local Sporting Goods store.

The trigger housing wasn't loose until I tapped out the mounting pins for the initial cleaning. Now it is loose, but not so much that it bothers me.

My sights are also set 1 click to the right, but I can't tell if the sight is canted. For certain its not canted as ArizonaScot's is. Thanks for posting the pictures, it really helped having a visual on how much off center folks are talking about.

I took it to the range and ran a box of light field loads through it just to check for function. I had a couple of mis-feeds - but they cleared right up by the end of the first box.

ScatterShot
30 November 2009, 11:16
I got a new 930 SPX on 11/25/09 at Fountain Firearms in Houston - - great people, very helpful. None of the mentioned QC problems so far, but I have not fired it. I did a superficial cleaning but did not disassemble anything yet. Cash price was $631.75.

agksimon
28 December 2009, 18:21
Mine shoots slugs a foot high at 50 yards with the rear sight all the way down. I'm waiting on a new barrel with a higher front sight.

duluthga
29 December 2009, 14:37
My 930 SPX was canted and I sent a nice Certified Letter to the CEO explaining the issue. A week later, there was a package on my doorstep...the new barrel!!!!!!
Didn't have to pay a dime or send the bad barrel in. The new sight has a 1/8" riser nicely welded under the sight. This corrects the 'shooting too high, adjustment bottomed out' syndrome. I'm extremely happy with Mossy qc. This dad gum gun is righteous in that it goes bang with any load. And as far as rapid firing, all I can say is "brace yo seff!!!!!" it def rocks and rolls in rapid fire. The guys on the range come over "what the hell was that, a Saiga?" Ha Ha, now they all want one. Don't put up with the canted sight, Mossy will make it right for ya.

bigdad42
29 December 2009, 21:57
Anyone know when they started putting the corrected barrels on?

ArizonaScot
30 December 2009, 09:58
It's been a while but I said I will keep everyone posted so here are my continued woes.

It has been since 10/11/2009 when I sent my barrel back to Mossberg for a replacement. Within that time, I made seven (7) phone calls to Mossberg to check on the replacement status. Each time, I was told, "Oh, yeah, the new barrel will be shipped out within a couple of days, or the next day." Each time, I waited. . .and waited. . .and waited. Nothing. Repeat. Seven times, I kid you not!

Just today (12/30/2009), I spoke to a supervisor named Alex. He apologized like all that came before and said that for my inconvenience, he will send me a zip case. Hey, I don't care about the zip case, I just want a new barrel to I can actually use my 930 SPX! [bash]

Duluthga, could you give me the name and address of the CEO? You certainly got a much better response from Mossberg than I did.

agksimon
30 December 2009, 10:11
It's been a while but I said I will keep everyone posted so here are my continued woes.

It has been since 10/11/2009 when I sent my barrel back to Mossberg for a replacement. Within that time, I made seven (7) phone calls to Mossberg to check on the replacement status. Each time, I was told, "Oh, yeah, the new barrel will be shipped out within a couple of days, or the next day." Each time, I waited. . .and waited. . .and waited. Nothing. Repeat. Seven times, I kid you not!

Just today (12/30/2009), I spoke to a supervisor named Alex. He apologized like all that came before and said that for my inconvenience, he will send me a zip case. Hey, I don't care about the zip case, I just want a new barrel to I can actually use my 930 SPX! [bash]

Duluthga, could you give me the name and addres
Is of the CEO? You certainly got a much better response from Mossberg than I did.

I had been calling there for a week and being put off so I called and asked for the department supervisor. He called me back and is putting one in the mail for me today. His name is: Xavier Contreas. Call and ask for him. He is well aware of the problem we're all having with bad sights on barrels.

m24shooter
30 December 2009, 10:53
Whenever you deal with Mossberg CS, always ask to speak with a supervisor. Get them to send you the shipping label, and tell them you will be checking in periodically when they get your barrel. Again, speak to a supervisor. Always.
Contreras seems to be a pretty good guy from what I've heard, and does seem to be actually pushing stuff through.
Ask for tracking numbers on stuff that they send back to you.
Be polite, be persistent, and always speak with a supervisor.
As for the new sights, I was told last summer that all new production guns were going to have them. I don't know if they are currently producing them like this or not.
It does seem that their customer service is still not being terribly helpful.

ScatterShot
30 December 2009, 15:15
My 930 SPX was canted and I sent a nice Certified Letter to the CEO explaining the issue. A week later, there was a package on my doorstep...the new barrel!!!!!!
Didn't have to pay a dime or send the bad barrel in. The new sight has a 1/8" riser nicely welded under the sight. This corrects the 'shooting too high, adjustment bottomed out' syndrome. I'm extremely happy with Mossy qc. This dad gum gun is righteous in that it goes bang with any load. And as far as rapid firing, all I can say is "brace yo seff!!!!!" it def rocks and rolls in rapid fire. The guys on the range come over "what the hell was that, a Saiga?" Ha Ha, now they all want one. Don't put up with the canted sight, Mossy will make it right for ya.

I checked my new SPX and can see what appears to be a 1/8" shim neatly brazed in under the fron sight. Here is the text from a post I put on AR15.com:

"Hey, guys, my first post here on AR15.com, primarily because of this 2-year old thread which still seems to be pretty active and because I just bought a 930 SPX just before Thanksgiving from Fountain Firearms in Houston. Given all the current pricing I found, their $632 number and immediate availability seemed good enough for me. No objectionable problems yet, the front sight is just ever so slightly canted to the left but you really have to put the fine eyeball on it to notice. Got to the range last weekend and the first 2 Remington 2-3/4 1560 fps slugs were about 2" high and 5" right. After 25 rounds I had walked the group in to about 1/2" high and 1-1/2" right (at 25 yds) and had about all that butt-kicking fun I could stand by then. The last 3" fun rounds were hardly felt by my numb shoulder!

My first experience w/ ghost rings but finally decided I could live with them, they are just not target sights, I guess, and intended mainly for a rough, quick target acquire. Comments welcome here.

Got it home for a complete strip clean but being a "read the instructions after it's too late" kind of guy, I got in a little trouble when I un-screwed the Jeezus nut off that mo-fo spring that's inside the little tube under the middle of the barrel. Don't DO THAT! It ain't at all necessary and you'll find yourself scratching your watch and winding your head how to get it all back together again ––- and that's after you found the little bugger nut halfway across on the garage floor if you're lucky. I got lucky and found enough hardware to make a little spring compressor. Two oversize 3/8" washers right on the OD size of the tube and a bolt and nut just long enough to go through the whole rig-up. First, without the spring, play with the Jeezus nut thread engagement to determine the rotational point where the threads begin to engage and the nut is not rocking on the threads. Then install the spring and start to tighten the bolt with a wrench to collapse the spring down to where the threads engage. Keep a fine eyeball on the parallesim of the nut and tube surfaces, if they ar not spot-on you might cross-thread. Put your best pair of glasses on and watch the nut threads come into engagement. At that point, make a quick prayer to whatever god you revere and PAY ATTENTION! Slightly snug the bolt on the compressor rig-up and start turning the Jeezus nut with a strong pick or a nail inserted into the ends of the spanner slots that are left exposed under your rig-up washer. And keep praying not to cross thread the $700 gun you just bought. A little snug, a little turn, a little snug, a little turn, etc until you see it has engaged smoothly and pull your rig-up slack. If you are the least bit ham-fisted and mechanically dis-inclined, take it to a 'smith. Believe me, this is something you want to practice on somebody else's gun! I got lucky and got it back together successfully thanks to the gods of luck and the bright morning sun shining thru my garage window!

Whew! It's a great gun and I'm looking forward to more of this thread. BTW I first read all 20 pages and have found out much great info. Thanks, guys.

John"

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=228303&page=20

ArizonaScot
3 January 2010, 08:10
Whenever you deal with Mossberg CS, always ask to speak with a supervisor. Get them to send you the shipping label, and tell them you will be checking in periodically when they get your barrel. Again, speak to a supervisor. Always.
Contreras seems to be a pretty good guy from what I've heard, and does seem to be actually pushing stuff through.
Ask for tracking numbers on stuff that they send back to you.
Be polite, be persistent, and always speak with a supervisor.
As for the new sights, I was told last summer that all new production guns were going to have them. I don't know if they are currently producing them like this or not.
It does seem that their customer service is still not being terribly helpful.

I agree with m24shooter on all points. EXCEPT for some reason, my situation turned out differently. I got the return shipping label in two days when I first called about the problem. "This is great", I thought! I then checked on the status of the replacement barrel periodically, and each time I called, I was always nice and polite to the person handling my call -- after all, it is just another human on the other end trying to do his/her job. But instead of telling me, "Hey, we don't have a barrel for you so you will have to wait a little longer", they would tell me, "Your new barrel will be shipped out in a couple of days, or next day, and we'll e-mail you the tracking number", and then nothing! So after six times of that, I finally decided to escalate it to "Supervisor" level (which is something I should have done after the 3rd or 4th time). Supervisor Alex said the barrel will be sent out the next day and I will also get a free zip case for my trouble. Lo and behold -- it actually happened this time! I got my new replacement barrel and free zip case on Saturday, 01/02/2010 (it would have been Thursday but I wasn't home). The new barrel was shipped out by Javier Contreras.

Now the drum roll please. . . . . . . ..I put the new barrel back on and. . . . . ..it was still canted![bash][wow]:mad: Not as much as the original barrel but still canted. Now I know that it is probably so miniscule that most would find it acceptable. Heck, it probably won't affect my shooting accuracy any better or worse, especially for my intended use of this 930 SPX.

BUT, the point I'm trying to get at is -- at which quality level does a consumer say, "You know, it's close enough so I'm not going to worry about it and go through the trouble of getting it right. I'll just live with it" ???

I would like to get some feedback -- do I just accept the new barrel with a VERY slight cant, or go through another round with Mossberg?

I appreciate all the help.

In the meanwhile, I'll be looking to get rid of a brand new, unfired 930 SPX, keep my two Mossberg 590A1's, and getting an FN SLP in the near future to replace the 930 SPX.

ScatterShot
3 January 2010, 10:51
Yours has to be a very frustrating experience. When I checked mine out at the store, I thought the front sight was good. But on closer inspection at home, it was ever-so-SLIGHTLY canted left. I went on and shot it anyway, bringing the group is close enough to DC for me. I'll keep the gun and continue to be wary of any QC problems. It is a pretty sad situation that their QC dept is using eyeballs, and bad ones at that, for inspection devices.

ArizonaScot
4 January 2010, 22:01
Sent a politically-correct Certified Letter to CEO Iver Mossberg today with all documentations. We'll see how far this gets me this time.[:)]

paul0311
11 January 2010, 11:15
I bought an SPX on 1/5/10. I shouldered the gun at the store and the sights were fine. Decided to pick one up. They brought out a brand new box and like a fool I decided not to pick the gun up and look down the sights right there. Got home only to see the front sight was of course, canted to the left. Called Mossberg and talked to Javier Contreras. Told him what happened without going into too much detail and before I could finish my "story" he told me a new barrel would be mailed to me. Four days later, I had a new barrel with a now higher and straight front sight. So aside from the initial annoyance of having to wait for a new barrel, I had a good experience with Mossberg. Have yet to shoot the thing though.

agksimon
11 January 2010, 13:51
The barrel sent to me by Xavier Contreres last week was over a quarter inch taller and didn't have a shim under it. It's the newest incarnation and looks just like the original one, only taller. When I sighted it in with slugs at 50 yards, the rear sight ended up a little above a third of the way off the bottom.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g189

ArizonaScot
15 January 2010, 13:35
The barrel sent to me by Xavier Contreres last week was over a quarter inch taller and didn't have a shim under it. It's the newest incarnation and looks just like the original one, only taller. When I sighted it in with slugs at 50 yards, the rear sight ended up a little above a third of the way off the bottom.

FINALLY, I received my new barrel on Thursday (01/14/2010) after talking to Javier Contreras on Tuesday. He assured me that he will personally inspect the barrel prior to shipping it out. The new barrel is perfect. Plus, I have a spare barrel to boot! :)

Anyway, three months after I bought my 930, Mossberg finally came through and corrected the issue with the canted front sight.

If you purchase a new 930 SPX, you should not have the canted front sight issue. But if for some reason you do, pick up the phone, and whoever answers it, ask to speak to Javier. He will get you taken care of.

KylJoy
28 January 2010, 16:11
I contacted Mr. Contreres at Mossberg's Texas facility today about my canted and short front sight tower on my brand-spanking new Mossberg 930 SPX that I picked up fresh last Friday. He was very nice and he told me that I would be receiving a replacement barrel in the mail in the next couple of business days. He was also very interested in how I came to contact him directly. I explained that there are several web sites now throwing his name around. He was very nice but a bit perplexed about several folks contacting him recently about this issue. I guess he is a victim of his own professionalism, courtesy and customer service. Hats off to him. Too bad about the QC issues but so far Mossberg has still got my vote as a high quality American firearms manufacturer. I'll let you folks know how this turns out when I receive the replacement barrel.

neobium
10 March 2010, 07:25
I came across this thread when searching on Mossberg 930 SPXs. I just picked one up at a dealer two days ago, and had a couple of questions about the finer points of fit-and-finish. Thankfully, my barrel sight was true, and had no canting issues. The rear sight was completely loose, though. Mossberg CS said just to move it back to be flush with the back of the rail and tighten it.

The main question I had is regarding the trigger housing assembly. Mine is not snug, and I can rattle it a little in the receiver. The CS guy said this was normal. It's been a while since I first looked at an SPX at another retailer, but I don't recall this being an issue on that gun. It just feels a bit cheap. Oh, and the forearm has a wee bit of play in it as well, and isn't completely stationary. It twists back and forth just a little. It won't affect the functioning of the gun, but... I paid $600+ for this, and I never ran into fit-and-finish stuff like this on a Remington.

m24shooter
13 March 2010, 08:39
The foreend can be snugged down if you tighten the mag tube extension. If you use a sling plate, it helps it even more.
The trigger group can be loose on some of the guns. Won't affect anything, and if you're really worried about it you can do the sidesaddle mod I described and you won't have any issues.

neobium
15 March 2010, 10:44
Which mod are you referring to? Do you have a link?

myfreetb
21 March 2010, 22:19
Does anyone know if the 930 Road Blocker barrel will fit the 930 spx?

m24shooter
23 March 2010, 07:47
Which mod are you referring to? Do you have a link?
If you look in the review section the Sidesaddle mod is described with pictures.

m24shooter
23 March 2010, 07:49
Does anyone know if the 930 Road Blocker barrel will fit the 930 spx?

Yes, but I think you would have to use a shorter mag extension.

Riseagainst22
14 April 2010, 18:23
Does anyone know of any videos on the disassembly of a Mossberg 930 spx..? it would be a lot of help

Jim1973
21 April 2010, 06:52
I found these ones to be helpful when I first got my 930SPX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKpNy2AZzN4 Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vclvnZo_VoY Part 2

Syntax360
21 April 2010, 13:39
I just wrapped up my first encounter with Mossberg - I sent my new 930SPX in because the charging handle would not release a round into the elevator if I had more than 4 rounds in the tube, and because I couldn't get it to zero (had to aim ~2 feet low @ 30 yards). Mossberg sent me a shipping label and I sent the gun off to Contreres' Texas facility and I received the gun back about 6 days later - excellent turn-around time.

The accompanying documents said that my gun received a new barrel, new magazine tube (not the extension - the tube under the forearm), and new magazine spring. The new spring is much longer than the spring that was in it, and much longer than a replacement 590 Wolff spring I tried replacing it with originally to resolve my charging problems. The new, longer spring seems to have resolved my loading problem - I've read about other users on other boards experiencing similar problems, so I hope they stumble across this thread and get things resolved.
I haven't had a chance to hit the range yet, but the gun did come back with a photocopy of a target that was shot at 40 yards - I trust the new barrel resolved the POA/POI issue.

All told, these guns are still pretty new to the market and I went in knowing I'd probably have some sort of problem. If a 6 day trip to the factory is all it takes to get this gun in working order, I'll be pleased with the purchase. The price point makes the 930 hard to beat for what you get...

m24shooter
21 April 2010, 19:12
6 days is very good. I usually replace all factory Mossberg springs regardless of the shotgun model. They are known for being weak and problematic.

Syntax360
22 April 2010, 13:55
What did you replace your 930 spring with? Last time I checked, Wolff didn't have a replacement - that's what lead me to try an increased strength 590 spring...

m24shooter
22 April 2010, 16:08
It was the generic Wolff shotgun tube spring. When I got a Nordic extension it came with another Wolff spring, and I trimmed it to length.

O'DubhGhaill
12 August 2010, 15:21
Took my 930 SPX apart for cleaning the other day & couldn't locate the Gas Seal Ring that is shown in Fig 10 in the owners manual. Then I removed the threaded ring that holds the spring in the lug welded under the barrel & the gas ring was under the spring. When I re-assembled the gun I put the seal ring in front of the gas piston as shown on the diagram (Fig 10) but I'm not 100% certain that's correct. Anyone know where it's REALLY supposed to be located? I tried called Mossberg but couldn't get a live person to speak to.

Thanks

I have the exact problem. Instead of the "gas ring" as described and depicted in the manual, mine had some extremely thin washer, about 1/32 thickness, that fit around the tube just fine in front of the gas piston (which has seal rings integral to the piston). After a few slugs, the weapon would not cycle buckshot. Upon dissassembly, no super thin washer, just disintegrated I believe. Gas seal problem bigtime here, as the gun won't cycle Federal buckshot for chissakes! I believe I am missing the proper seal! What gives? What does it look like? Anyone have a photo of their gas system disassembled? I appreciate any help here and thanks in advance.

wnash
4 February 2015, 08:07
I recently purchased a 930 SPX for entry work. I have nothing but praise for its performance and on a normal training day, I will run through approximately 50 rounds of 00 buck. My department only issues low recoil ammo and what I have found is that if you don't hold it tight, which is sometimes difficult with that bulky vest, it will occasionally fail to eject the spent shell. Does anyone know of a fix for this issue?

tact
5 February 2015, 17:40
I had a 930 jm pro for a while. It was great and I never had an issue but I think I've read they have issues with low power ammo. Some will say make sure it's good and broke in with high power loads and lube well. Some have found they were only able to shoot some low power stuff even after a good break in but not every low power brand. Doesn't sound like a lot of help but I think they are finicky when it comes to low power loads.

MonkeyBomb
5 February 2015, 18:11
I have had a 930 SPX since around 2008. In its stock form it ate everything including 20 year old #8 shot and worked flawlessly. I added a Mesa Tactical side saddle and it was one problem after another. Its still fun to shoot occasionally bit I don't really trust it for duty use anymore. Maybe after a few hundred more rounds without issues.