PDA

View Full Version : Magpul ASAP mount help.

Mr Brightside
10 October 2009, 19:11
I recently purchased a Magpul ASAP sling adapter and a DPMS AR-15 multi tool. Have any of you been able to instal the sling adapter with this tool? It seems the multi tool is to thick to fit properly.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. I'm really not in the mood to drop another $40 bucks on a different multi tool.

Thanks!

Stickman
10 October 2009, 19:31
After looking at that tool, I can't say I would want to use it for installing castle nuts.

At this point, if it were me..... I would install it as tight as I could get it by hand, then brace it, then use a punch and tap the castlenut to tighten it. Remember that to do this and make it work, you need to have the weapon braced flat on the floor and not on a thick carpet.

Its not the preferred way, but it will work, and I've done it before to loosen and tighten castle nuts when there were no other options.

Mr Brightside
10 October 2009, 19:46
I didn't even think about doing that! I'm going to tape it up so I don't ding up my castle nut.

Thanks a bunch for advice! I'll let you know if it works out.

federalist22
10 October 2009, 19:56
I use a castle nut spanner wrench I got from Gear Sector (listed now at $7.20 and Jason is very quick to ship). It's a good investment.

Mr Brightside
10 October 2009, 20:03
Thanks Federalist - I'm going to order one. 7 bucks isn't bad at all.

Paulo_Santos
10 October 2009, 20:48
And if you can't stake the castle nut, a drop or two of blue loctite will help to keep the castle nut secure. And I do mean a drops or two, not 10 or 12. LOL.

Mr Brightside
10 October 2009, 22:42
Alright - disclaimer. This was my first AR-15. Not only was it my first, but I built it from scratch.

That said. I'm an idiot. After reading up on staking the castle nut or not, I realized I had the castle nut on backwards! That's why the tool wouldn't fit. What a freaking tard!

Anyway, works perfect now. Thanks again guys!

rebelEMPIRE
11 October 2009, 01:55
At least you're honest about it. More respect to ya! It's funny how sometimes the problem is so obvious that we overlook the solution at the first go around.

-rebelEMPIRE

rob_s
11 October 2009, 05:00
That said. I'm an idiot. After reading up on staking the castle nut or not, I realized I had the castle nut on backwards! That's why the tool wouldn't fit. What a freaking tard!

As I'm reading down through the thread I'm thinking "I bet he has the dang castle nut on backwards...". Then I get to this post and see that I was right!

Anyway, glad you figured it out. Good luck trying to stake the ASAP.

Stickman
11 October 2009, 11:00
Rob,

I had the same thought when I first read it, and dismissed it. [BD]

SuicideHz
19 December 2009, 19:00
Rob,

I had the same thought when I first read it, and dismissed it. [BD]

Yeah me too! I tried to stop assuming people were doing something wrong a long time ago. I learned the hard way that it's best to walk them through something and just let them tell you that they skipped a step or did something wrong.

;-)