PDA

View Full Version : AD Recon mount

Broad Arrow
11 October 2009, 06:42
I emailed American Defense asking whether the Recon mount will provide enough clearance with a Magpul MBUS underneath the scope. I am saving to get either the NXS or Short Dot but I am getting the tan AD-Noveske Recon mount now because its a limited production piece. I was asked about the sight folded height and the ocular diameter of the scopes but after giving the info, I had not received any reply. This was about a week ago. I figured I might as well try to ask this question here and hope somebody can provide the answer. I know that I should get the scope first and worry about the mount later but I really like the tan Recon and I'm afraid that by the time I have enough money for either scopes, the mount will be gone. Thanks for any info that you can share.

m24shooter
11 October 2009, 07:36
Don't have the setup you describe, but these might help. The eye relief and the occular bell will play a part in the fit. The Recon also has a slightly longer footprint on the rail that the Scout, but maybe you will get an idea.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/100_1422.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/100_1421.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/100_1426.jpg

Broad Arrow
11 October 2009, 08:02
Thanks for the pics. That looks to be a very tight fit. Does the MBUS "push" the scope? I assume this will be the same with my scope choices. If this is the case, then I think I will have to take off the MBUS and go optics only.

m24shooter
11 October 2009, 08:09
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by push.
The MBUS does not actually contact the optic if that is what you mean. It is very close however. The location of the mount is not moved forward because of the sight, it is placed where my cheekweld places the focal point (I shoot NTCH). It just happens that there are a few slots between the two, and if I had gotten the Recon I would have had to place the mount farther forward. This would have bridged the rail and upper, which I do not want to do.

Broad Arrow
11 October 2009, 17:35
Thanks for explaining. You explained what I meant perfectly. I was asking if, because of the contact made between the top of the MBUS and bottom of the scope eyepiece, the MBUS was sort of pushing the scope upward.

May I ask why you don't want the mount to bridge the upper and rail? Is it because it will move your focal point? Thanks.

Paulo_Santos
11 October 2009, 18:18
When you have the optic just on the upper, you can move the optic forward or back on the upper receiver without loosing too much zero. The minute you bridge it over, you will most likely loose your zero. I did that once and I was completely off the paper at 100 yards. No matter how aligned the upper receiver and the handguard look, they never are 100%.

Broad Arrow
11 October 2009, 18:51
Thanks for explaining. Noob question :) I would just like to ask if this also applies to the monolithic handguards? Thanks.

m24shooter
11 October 2009, 19:38
There is enough flex/play/misalignment between an upper and a rail that it may not provide a solid mounting platform and there can be unequal flexing between them. When an optic is bridged between the two there can be problems.
The monolithic rails/uppers are actually a part of the upper, so you don't have to worry about that.

Broad Arrow
11 October 2009, 22:13
Thank you. I learned something new today :)