PDA

View Full Version : Elzetta ZFH1500 Tactical Flashlight Holder

Eric
12 November 2007, 22:03
Item Reviewed: Elzetta ZFH1500 Tactical Flashlight Holder

I’ll have to admit that I hadn’t heard of Elzetta prior to receiving their ZFH1500 Tactical Flashlight Holder. The literature indicated that the mount is made in the USA using glass-filled nylon. An unusual method of attachment is used, in which the mount goes around the front sight assembly and barrel. This positions the light a bit further than I am used to. The mount will work with or without a bayonet lug in place. Five screws hold the two halves of the mount together and a hex wrench is provided.

The mount can accommodate a variety of flashlights. For smaller diameter lights (18-24 MM) a shim is used. I tested out the mount using a Surefire G2 Nitrolon. The materials used in the two products were similar and seemed to compliment each other. Available colors include black, dark earth and olive drab.

I initially mounted the light on a Colt AR-15A2 Gov’t Carbine which has a lightweight barrel, but I quickly discovered that the mount had a lot of play in it. After trying it on a couple other carbines, I realized the mount required an HBAR or M4 diameter barrel to fit correctly.

There are two methods in which the light can be activated.

The first method uses the front sling swivel to put pressure on the tail cap and activate the light. If using this method, the rear of the light must protrude from the mount to allow the swivel to make contact with the rear of the light. The user just pushes his hand all the way forward along the handguard until it hits the swivel. I found that if a sling is being routed through the front swivel, it interferes with the operation of the light. Swivels that are properly riveted in place and rotate feely work well enough. Swivels that are attached by a roll pin and don’t rotate freely can keep constant pressure against the tail cap and leave the light activated.

The second method positions the rear of the light further forward so that the mount protects the tail cap from being contacted by the swivel. Activation is achieved by finger pressure.

The mount itself appears to be very stout, yet lightweight. Nonetheless, I would recommend applying a bit of thread-locker to each screw. Such things have a way of otherwise coming loose and disappearing under heavy use.

The light is aligned directly under the barrel. While this is fine for most applications, it may be somewhat clumsy when the weapon is shot from an improvised rest. I would like to see Elzetta offer a mount that offsets the light to the side.

This mount might not be the answer for everyone. For me, it appears to be best suited to those who are not using a vertical foregrip, but still want a reasonably priced weapon mounted light system. This mount with a Surefire G2 runs around $70.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Elzetta/IMG_2584.jpg