PDA

View Full Version : Noveske end plate help

sjohnny
13 October 2009, 06:25
I just got a Noveske QD end plate and am having trouble putting it on. When I screw the tube in far enough to capture the buffer retainer the plate doesn't have enough room to clear the rear of the receiver. I have the castle nut back as far as it can go. Is there something I'm missing or is there a trick to it?

Thanks.

rob_s
13 October 2009, 07:41
Can you post a picture of the problem? Goes a long way to helping figure out a correction.

sjohnny
13 October 2009, 07:52
It's at home and I'm at work right now. I'll try to get some pics up this evening.

The part that isn't clearing is the edge of the hole for the QD swivel that's supposed to insert into the hole in the back of the receiver.

I can see from my description where pictures would help.

spamsammich
13 October 2009, 08:51
is this on a mil-spec or commercial receiver extension?

sjohnny
13 October 2009, 09:02
Mil spec

Slippers
13 October 2009, 13:30
I ran into the same issue when I was installing mine. I used a generous amount of grease on the receiver extension threads to help aid in backing the castle nut towards the rear as far as possible.

With the Noveske QD plate flush against the castle nut, it wouldn't quite clear the receiver as I made the last quarter turn with the extension tube to get everything to line up. I found that I had to actually move the plate a few millimeters forward from the castle nut, then rock the lower side of the plate away from the receiver. There should be just enough play in the QD plate to do this, giving you the clearance to turn the extension tube the last bit to lock in the detent for the buffer, line up the QD plate, and tighten the castle nut.

Hopefully that isn't confusing. Unfortunately I can't provide pictures without disassembling my rifle.

sjohnny
13 October 2009, 13:41
Not confusing at all. I'll give that a try.

Thanks.

sjohnny
13 October 2009, 14:46
I tried your trick, Slippers, and it didn't work.
Here's a picture. It's the best I could do with what I have.
http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/keggius/endplate.jpg

I found a post on another forum where someone took a file to theirs and it worked fine. If no one has any other ideas I'll try that. It won't take much.

Slippers
13 October 2009, 15:14
Darn. Guess mine had just a bit more room to play with when the castle nut was backed all the way out.

rebelEMPIRE
13 October 2009, 18:08
Just for information's sake, where or whom did you acquire your buffer extension from?

-rebelEMPIRE

sjohnny
13 October 2009, 18:13
I got the buffer extension from Bravo Company.

I just got back from out in the shop. I shaved off about 1/16" and it works perfect now. My first lower is now complete.

Slippers
13 October 2009, 18:55
I also received my extension from Bravo.

rebelEMPIRE
13 October 2009, 21:50
Great to hear that you solved the issue.

Giving some more thought to such a problem, I found that several things could result with the conditions you guys have faced.

1) Threads on buffer tube not machined far back enough.
2) Buffer retention pin is located too far forward in the receiver itself and requires the buffer extension to thread in too far; this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
3) End plate thickness is too large.
4) Castle nut thickness is too large.
5) Any combination of the above.

I think the most likely cause is the end plate thickness being too large, especially with after-market add ons. Secondly, a variance from lower receiver to lower receiver, especially in billet receivers where some areas are beefed up or cosmetically re-engineered, deviating from milspec dimensions.
And lastly, it's a bit of a toss up between the others.

-rebelEMPIRE

sjohnny
14 October 2009, 05:04
If there had been one or two more threads on the buffer tube it wouldn't have been a problem. It took me longer to find my dremel than it did to take off enough material to make it work so it wasn't a big deal. It's together now and I can start saving pennies for upper parts.

Stickman
14 October 2009, 08:14
Any idea who made the receiver extension?

sjohnny
14 October 2009, 10:16
No idea. I ordered it from Bravo Company and there was no indication who the actual manufacturer was.

Go4broke
14 October 2009, 23:24
I ran into the exact same problem with my receiver extension from Bravo Co.

Shaved a little bit of material off the end plate with a file to make it work. [:)]