PDA

View Full Version : proper black

clayart
16 October 2009, 06:44
I just bought a Tactical Innovations T15 lower for a great price. However I am not too happy with the color. It almost looks dark purple. Any suggestions on how I can match the color to a DMPS upper? I was thinking just going with a Duracoat aerosol matte black??? or should I powder coat or do a bake on finish?

Stickman
16 October 2009, 09:04
If it were me, I would send it off to be ceracoated, or more likely would spray it with Norrells myself. The refinishing thread should give you a pretty good overview of how to do this, but Norrells would last much longer than DC, though its certainly an option as well.

I would suggest that you spray the upper and lower to get a perfect match instead of just doing the lower.

clayart
16 October 2009, 09:19
I forgot all about the refinishing thread. i am going to have to check it out again. I am not familiar with ceracoating...I will have to look that up. Thanks for the advice! :)

Stickman
16 October 2009, 10:11
Cerakote is going to be the hardest, but Norrels is no slouch, and is dirt simple to apply, and is probably the cheapest as well.

JTrusty just got Cerakote work done, hopefully he will give his thoughts.

John Hwang
23 October 2009, 23:58
I have a few lowers with Cerakote and it's really durable stuff. It's stronger than Norrels or KG Gunkote from my experience.

clayart
27 October 2009, 14:13
thanks guys. I went ahead and bought some Norrells. I will give that a shot first. I looked around on line and from what I could see it would be around $200 to have it cerakoted.

Stickman
27 October 2009, 18:27
Norrells is pretty straight forward to use, and holds up very nicely. Degrease, warm the surface, and spray. Repeat the warm and spray process until you have as many coats applied as you want.

By heating/ warming the surface, your finish will dry instantly as it hits, which gives you a matter finish without any runs, sags, drips or problems.

When you are done, let it sit for awhile to make sure everything is totally dry, then drop it in the oven at the listed temp.

JTrusty
28 October 2009, 07:50
JTrusty just got Cerakote work done, hopefully he will give his thoughts.

I just had two uppers and a lower Cerakoted. From my experience and research, Cerakote is the most durable of all the firearm coatings available. It gets its strength from its ceramic backbone. For what its worth, I slipped when driving a roll pin home and hit the surface with a roll pin punch. The surface showed no signs of the impact.

Cerakote is available in a wide array of colors and can be custom mixed to match any color you desire. Below are a couple pictures of the components I had coated. The uppers, lower, and rails are all coated in Desert Sage H-247 while the small parts are all coated in Graphite Black H-146. The black is the richest black I have ever seen.

All the work was done by Dan at Amelon Coatings (http://amelonfirearms.com/). Dan is a NICS certified Cerakote appicator and his pricing is very competitive.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/amelon/01.jpg

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/amelon/02.jpg

federalist22
28 October 2009, 16:31
Jason,

Fantastic finishes on your weapons. Nice personal touch with your name engraved in the receiver.

John Hwang
28 October 2009, 17:12
I like your $200 light mount. [BD]

rebelEMPIRE
28 October 2009, 21:14
Wow, that's a beautiful finish. I understand that pricing can vary greatly from weapon to weapon, but just for reference, how much did it cost you Jason?

-rebelEMPIRE

federalist22
29 October 2009, 01:54
I like your $200 light mount. [BD]

Nice.......I didn't even catch that at first look.[wow]

clayart
30 October 2009, 08:52
wow that looks really good! I like the name engraving as well. Well done![adore]

JTrusty
18 December 2009, 11:10
Fantastic finishes on your weapons. Nice personal touch with your name engraved in the receiver.

Thanks. The engraving, though nicely done, is actually required per the ATF since I SBR'ed this particular lower. [:D]

Wow, that's a beautiful finish. I understand that pricing can vary greatly from weapon to weapon, but just for reference, how much did it cost you Jason?

Pricing can vary greatly. Just shoot Dan an email, let him know what you want coated and he will get back with you in short order with pricing. And honestly, he has the best pricing in the industry - period.

I like your $200 light mount.

Ride me all you want, but it does the job until our GS-3100's get here. [:D]

And finally, here is an updated picture of the 16" upper with the Surefire M951 that just came back from coatin.

http://www.gearsector.com/img/misc/forum/amelon/03.jpg

Color is H-235 ( Coyote Tan ) which is a dead ringer match for Tango Down Dark Earth. :P

Randall Kepley
18 December 2009, 21:32
Jason, who is the "Manufact" or the anti-rotation pins? Beautiful build BTW. Thanks R.K.

JTrusty
19 December 2009, 09:33
ason, who is the "Manufact" or the anti-rotation pins? Beautiful build BTW. Thanks R.K.

KNS. These are original GEN I anti-rotation pins and thanks.