PDA

View Full Version : AR Pistol Q

S391
16 October 2009, 21:22
I want to go with a short action AR but I don't want to mess with all the NFA stuff... Could I buy a Pistol AR and go through all the things I need to do for a pistol then install a stock and use it as a carbine?

Anyone know how that works? Is it the barrel length or the lack of a stock that classifies it as a pistol?

Keebsley
17 October 2009, 08:16
You don't need to go through anything to purchase and use a pistol AR. However, once you put a stock on it, that's a big Federal no-no because then it is a SBR and you'd need the NFA stuff that goes along with it.

S391
17 October 2009, 14:59
You don't need to go through anything to purchase and use a pistol AR. However, once you put a stock on it, that's a big Federal no-no because then it is a SBR and you'd need the NFA stuff that goes along with it.

Thanks,

That is what I thought but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I can get NFA stuff in Wisconsin but it just takes time and money..... but I really like the idea of having an SBR.....

spamsammich
19 October 2009, 15:04
In my opinion, you want an SBR and can legally own an SBR in your state? You get the SBR. After all, it just takes time and money, right? The pistol AR is a poor substitution for the real deal. I've owned one and still own the pistol lower just in case I want a short barreled upper around in the future, but I will not own a full AR pistol again. They are fun to shoot to an extent, but they just aren't stable, they are VERY loud indoors, and they aren't as practical as my M&P 9 for HD. Their shortcomings very quickly outweigh their positives.

S391
19 October 2009, 18:07
In my opinion, you want an SBR and can legally own an SBR in your state? You get the SBR. After all, it just takes time and money, right? The pistol AR is a poor substitution for the real deal. I've owned one and still own the pistol lower just in case I want a short barreled upper around in the future, but I will not own a full AR pistol again. They are fun to shoot to an extent, but they just aren't stable, they are VERY loud indoors, and they aren't as practical as my M&P 9 for HD. Their shortcomings very quickly outweigh their positives.

I understand but I was just looking at all the options and asking questions. I have no interest in an AR pistol but I was curious if one could turn it into an SBR and still have it classified as a pistol. I didn't think I could but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.