PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Lower

Topmaul
15 November 2007, 19:24
Gents I just orderd a stripped lower from the Olympic Arms Owners Association now I need the rest of the gun. I am not independantly wealthy, but not broke by any means. I want a fuctional 3 gun rifle with a 20 inch barrel 5.56x45 but not sure where to buy the parts for the build. I have done several AKs but never an AR, could you recommend a website or DVD, most important is the parts and the price. I want quality of course this gun is going to have to work.

Stickman
19 November 2007, 18:12
What is your thought regarding layout of the weapon so far? Without knowing where you want to go, its hard to make a legit call on parts.

NvrenufRR
19 November 2007, 19:33
Not really sure how much you want to spend, but some of my opinions would be...

Upper receivers
CMT M4 upper
DD or VLOTR upper
WOA Upper

Barrels
BM NM SS 20"
Rainier 18" SS Midlength Match
Noveske Match
WOA Match

Handguards
DD 12.0 LITE
Troy or Samson rifle length FF

Bolt Carrier Group
LMT Enhanced
CMT MP tested

Lower internals
CMT LPK
Gieselle drop in match trigger
KNS Non-rotational pins

Stock and Acc
Magpul PRS
LMT SOPMOD
Tangodown hand grip
Tangodown Rail covers
Troy rear BUIS
PRI QC Brake
Eotech 553
Aimpoint ML4 W/3x magnifier and quick flip
Trijicon Ta-11f ACOG

From my experiences, you may want to venture the 18 barrel length route, you can't gain anything from a 20" in any 3 gun match and unless your shooting 600+yds, you wont need it. If you went this route though, I'd suggest getting one of the midlenth versions of the above rail systems to allow use of astandard Front sight block. I'd shy from the lo-pro gas blocks or one's with flip sights, the standard FSB is easier to use and doesn't interfer with your sight picture on an optic.
Getting a match trigger would be a great help, the Giesselle is about the best from what I hear from NRA high power shooters. You would faster follow ups and less recoil from a brake system such as PRI or another quality company rather than having a standard Flaash suppressor. If you like solid (Non-M4 type stocks, than go with the Magpul PRS, If you want a slide in style, Get the SOPMOD, IMO it's the most comfortable and you can hold extra's in the tubes to add some weight.
All these things will make the rifle somewhat hefty to lug, But shot recoil and follw up will be much faster IMO.

OK, I take back the Olympic thing, I am still not fond of them, but it has come to my attention that the GROUP BUY OL2'S ARE MADE BY MEGA MFG, which I happen to do Like. So I retract my statement about the Lower, I know Mega has gotten good reviews so you should have a good platform to begin on.

Buy from Rainier, John has ALWAYS been A++++ to do buisness with, and I always recommend him first.
If you do a Google search on AR-15 assembly you should find a few results, if not, go to ar15.com and go to the "Build it yourself" forum and they have many threads on it. I'm sure there are books and DVD's available, but you really don't need these.
Assembling an AR is very simple, you will however need a few tools, possibly some specific ones determined by the parts you order, but if not most you should have around the house already. I would get the DPMS Armorer's tool, an upper assembly vise and a good set of brass punchs. All you relly need besides that is an adjustable pliers, small finish hammer, some cloth tape (To not mark the receivers when using pliers, a table vise, and some CLP.

You CAN easily get the accuracy you looking for out of a 16" barrel also if you like to lighten the load on your rifle and keep it faster from Rainier Noveske, or WOA

SHIHAN
20 November 2007, 18:46
Before you get it started tripple check the magwell to make sure it will take a variety of mags. Oly has been known to make some realy tight magwells.

Eric
20 November 2007, 20:18
OK, I take back the Olympic thing, I am still not fond of them, but it has come to my attention that they are made the same as the MEGA, which I happen to do Like. So I retract my statement about the Lower, I know Mega has gotten good reviews so you should have a good platform to begin on.
Not sure I'm following you 100%. Are you saying the Oly is the same quality as Mega, or that they come from the same manufacturer?

Mega and Oly are not the same outfit. They are only in the same geographic area, but that's it. IMHO the quality of the Mega is higher and more consistent than the Oly. Mega puts out a very well machined product.

103m 95g
20 November 2007, 23:13
just to set the record straight. w/9 pages of reading. page 4, 4th to last post.
http://www.oa2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7039

NvrenufRR
21 November 2007, 07:00
just to set the record straight. w/9 pages of reading. page 4, 4th to last post.
http://www.oa2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7039

My understanding is that he is getting the OL2 lower as part of the group buy, this id being mae for OLY by the MFG that supplies MEGA LOWERS.

Stickman
21 November 2007, 07:27
He is getting a group buy from MMS, not from OA.

A few years back, Mega produced a relatively minor amount of receivers for Olympic Arms. This is not something they do on a regular basic, and I don't think it has happened again since the first time.

Mega Machine Shop primarily does aerospace machining for Boeing, the AR15 receivers and other weapon work is a side job, which is one of the reasons that they are not able to maintain a regular supply of their product.

Topmaul
21 November 2007, 15:35
Thanks for the info, as far as Oly goes I have no complaints with my Cast Plinker I have shot it in many matches and it never let me down. I had the urge to build a rifle this winter and was all set to build a tacitcal bolt rifle out of an old Mauser. Then I saw this on to OA2 forum and dropped the Mauser idea.

After reading the suggestions and advice, I have a lot more to think about.

Well I coutinue to ponder the question.

Topmaul
8 December 2007, 12:31
Sorry for all the confusion, The lower will have the OA2 logo on it but will not by made by Olympic Arms instead Mega. What would you recommend for my trigger, not being wealthy I think I want a single stage.

m24shooter
8 December 2007, 12:41
How much scratch do you want to put into the trigger?
A GI is cheapest, and will serve most people well.
You can go up though the RRA two stage, Giessele, Jard, JP, Timney, etc.
Depends on what you want to do and how much you want to pay.

Topmaul
8 December 2007, 17:19
M24 it's funny that you have "Come and Take it" on your avitar I will have that on my lower! Did you order one?

I have a single stage trigger coming I think I will use that for a while depending on how I like it. I have no problem with the single on my Plinker.

m24shooter
8 December 2007, 18:44
Didn't order one. I use it because it is an adaptation from the Gonzales flag.
http://www.galleryoftherepublic.com/txflags/gonzales.htm