PDA

View Full Version : Q's on Piston build

OHDEUCE
22 October 2009, 12:56
I'd like to build a piston AR and CANNOT AFFORD a complete piston upper.
I figure a kit would be the next move. What would be the most reasonable (pronounced- price/function) kit to purchase?

Any on topic replies would be appreciated but those with direct experience are desired.

Thanks. DEUCE.

jeeves915
22 October 2009, 13:40
Question for you: Why piston?

Stickman
22 October 2009, 14:05
My first question is what you currently own. If you don't own an upper already, its a different series of questions. if you do own an upper, what type is it, and how is it configured?

Paulo_Santos
22 October 2009, 14:12
Dependng on what set up you currenly have, the CMMG or the Adams Arms piston that was selling for $250 ish. If you just get one of the piston kits that uses the stock handguards, you should not pay more than $400. The minute you decide to add a free float handguard, that is where it will cost you.

Also, let's not turn this into a DI vs Piston thread. We all have opinions, but he OP isn't asking for opinions on the DI vs Piston debate.

Respectfully, Paulo Santos.

jeeves915
22 October 2009, 14:53
Paulo:
It was not my intent to turn this into a DI vs. Piston debate. My intent was to understand the end user's goal for a piston system, so that I might could offer a recommendation based on that. Certain pistons aren't happy with certain layouts, etc (from my reading).

However, like Stick, I'd love to know what sort of upper you are wanting to convert.
-Adam

Paulo_Santos
22 October 2009, 15:07
Paulo:
It was not my intent to turn this into a DI vs. Piston debate. My intent was to understand the end user's goal for a piston system, so that I might could offer a recommendation based on that. Certain pistons aren't happy with certain layouts, etc (from my reading).

However, like Stick, I'd love to know what sort of upper you are wanting to convert.
-Adam

No worries Adam. It wasn't intended at anyone. I just know how the DI vs Piston debates get on other sites so I just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page here.

JustMatt
25 October 2009, 17:55
I have owned a LWRC piston driven gun and I built a custom piston system gun using Adams Arms piston kit. I went with the Adams Arms kit because I was impressed with there finished product and they had a really nice one piece carrier. There is a good review of the kit on this website. I used a VLtor MUR upper with a DD 9"Lite Rail along with the Adams Arms pisto kit w/one piece bc. I couldn't be happier and sold my LWRC with plans to do another build using the AA kit. And a couple months back I did a action rifle contest with my custom AA gun and my gun was the only one to not have a malfunction in my heat (except the one AK)! Couldn't be happier.

OHDEUCE
26 October 2009, 15:33
Dependng on what set up you currenly have, the CMMG or the Adams Arms piston that was selling for $250 ish. If you just get one of the piston kits that uses the stock handguards, you should not pay more than $400. The minute you decide to add a free float handguard, that is where it will cost you.

Also, let's not turn this into a DI vs Piston thread. We all have opinions, but he OP isn't asking for opinions on the DI vs Piston debate.

Respectfully, Paulo Santos.

Thanks for the reply. From my research on just the kit I was getting the same $250-ish start point.

OHDEUCE
26 October 2009, 15:47
My first question is what you currently own. If you don't own an upper already, its a different series of questions. if you do own an upper, what type is it, and how is it configured?

Thanks for the reply. For this project, all I currently own for it is a stripped DPMS lower..... and my hopes:o

I don't compete right now and am not in harm's way. I hope to do this over time because I can't afford the whole fish right now.

OHDEUCE
26 October 2009, 15:51
Question for you: Why piston?

Just because.
I have a S&W AR right now that works well for my needs.
I bought a DPMS lower last year for a build and haven't done anything with it.

federalist22
2 November 2009, 01:53
I realize this is not a piston vs. DI debate, but I thought I would post this animation the Army Times posted back in 2007. I kept the link because it depicts the action of both systems in a pretty simplistic manner. This animation was designed to show how the Colt M4 and the HK416 operate. To view the other weapon, click the "compare to..HK416 or M4" button in the animation. More or less, this describes what is happening during the cycling of your rifle, regardless of DI or the various pistons on the market.

Here's the link: http://www.armytimes.com/projects/flash/2007_02_20_carbine/.

This link requires that you have a Flash Player installed.

BTW, I own 3 DI and 1 Ares piston 5.56 rifles and I am very satisfied with all of them.

jeeves915
2 November 2009, 06:27
Just because.
I have a S&W AR right now that works well for my needs.
I bought a DPMS lower last year for a build and haven't done anything with it.

No shame in that. I've heard from my FFL that he loves his Adams Arms kit. Not shot one myself, so I won't comment other than that.

Good luck with the build, and show off your finished product! We love pictures and range reports.
-Adam