PDA

View Full Version : Patrol rifle load out (#of magazines)

103m 95g
23 October 2009, 13:32
For those of you who have a LE patrol rifles, issued or personally owned, what is the minimum number of magazines you deploy?

My dept only allows 2-20rnd magazines and I was wondering how this compared to other agencies across the country. Should we have a basic minimum of 4-30rnd, or just 2-30's
This is NON-SWAT/CRT, interested in the basic patrolman magazine load out.

Paulo_Santos
23 October 2009, 14:26
For me, the ideal set up would be an AR with something like the Redi-Mag and a chest rig with 4 30 round magazines, for a total of 6 mags, which is more than you will ever need. The minimum set-up would be an AR with a Redi-Mag with 2 30 round mags.

tac40
23 October 2009, 14:54
Our depart issued 3-30 rd mags. Most if not all officers who participate in the program realize having spare mags for training and perhaps 3 extra mags in their active shooter kit would not be a bad idea. I see officers with about 5-6 mags.
Stuff can happen quickly.

alt154shiver
23 October 2009, 16:44
Stuff can happen quickly.

And ammo can be expended quickly.

Eric
24 October 2009, 07:33
Agency issues two 20 round mags with issued patrol rifle. My throw on chest rig only holds three 30 round mags. I intentionally kept it light and w/o too much bulk.

gunnut284
24 October 2009, 13:48
I have a 30 in the gun and a plate carrier with 4 more 30s in the trunk. I have a few more mags in the car either as just-in-case or to distribute to less prepared officers.

nc12215
24 October 2009, 14:00
I have two 30 round or 20 round mags on the rifle (Redi Mag). I also have a single mag holder (paddle type) that I can attach to my duty belt quickly. Last is a US Peacekeeper bag that has outside pouches. Two for 4 rifle mags and 1 pouch for 2 pistol mags. There is also a outside pouch that I carry a flash bang in. Inside the main compartment I have 2 more 30 round mags.

With this setup I can choose just the rifle w/2 mags for an immediate threat or quick deployment. I can add the paddle mag holder for something like a shots fired call or bank robbery in progress.
And I can grab the USPK bag for an active shooter scenario or an extended call out.

Three different setups for all kinds of "what if's".
Dave

OfcPowder
24 October 2009, 19:39
My dept only allows 2-20rnd magazines and I was wondering how this compared to other agencies across the country. Should we have a basic minimum of 4-30rnd, or just 2-30's
This is NON-SWAT/CRT, interested in the basic patrolman magazine load out.

This is absurd that you are only "allowed" 40 rounds. That's what the issue us for the issued Mini 14s. Nothing says we can't buy more mags and stuff em full with ammo. Our department has the option to let officers buy their own AR's and equipment, and we are welcome to as much as we can pack in basically.

I have a 30 rounder in the gun, a 20 rounder in a pouch on my uniform. I have 2 30 rounders in each of my front doors, and a chest rig with 4 more. And I still don't have as much as some guys. [bash]

GYATES
26 October 2009, 01:39
I typically carry 1 in the rifle and 3 on my plate carrier. I have another 3 mags ready to go in case I feel the need to put them in the PC. I also have and active shooter bag of tricks that I might grab. It has some water and other gear in it. I also have a few extra mags to hand out to guys if they need them. I also threw some 12 ga in there in case somebody shows up with a shotgun. The only time I could think that carrying so much ammo would be useful would be a full blown Mumbai style attack. While unlikely I guess it never hurts to be over-prepared. Besides, I like to use that as an excuse to the wife when buying mags and stuff.

cmoore
26 October 2009, 04:32
We issue 3 30-round mags with each M4. I carry (in a soft case) 6 more of these, two of which are loaded with 62gr.
M855 for vehicle/vessel threats (since our Admin had us ditch the .308's..WTF???)...
administrative paralysis...embrace the suck!!!

all the best...