PDA

View Full Version : SBR Lower Choice?

newblood
24 October 2009, 07:54
I am ready to buy a lower and do the paperwork to SBR it. What lower would you recommend purchasing? I am using a MUR upper for the build and a Geissele SSA trigger. Any input would be greatley appreciated!!

BrassSlinger
24 October 2009, 08:30
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1539

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1109

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755

Rated21R
24 October 2009, 09:36
i bought a Noveske lower for my build. It too will be a SBR with a MUR upper. Just my 2 cents.

Stickman
24 October 2009, 10:28
Go with something you like. This is a lower that you will probably keep forever, or at least for a very long time. A couple extra bucks spent won't mean anything in a few years.

If I were doing it right now, I would go with either my Noveske, or Magpul C-series lower.

newblood
24 October 2009, 11:52
Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the Noveske. I havent seen any of Magpul's for sale and don't think i could shell out the dough on one anyways!!
Thanks again!

Broad Arrow
25 October 2009, 02:36
Go with something you like. This is a lower that you will probably keep forever, or at least for a very long time. A couple extra bucks spent won't mean anything in a few years.

If I were doing it right now, I would go with either my Noveske, or Magpul C-series lower.

May I ask where can I get the Magpul lower? Thanks.

jeeves915
25 October 2009, 05:48
Gunbroker, every so often. Typically they are stupidly expensive as they are so limited.

Stickman
29 October 2009, 09:02
Magpul lowers typically only come on very limited edition Noveske releases. Each of those is usually around 50 units, there has been 3 if I remember correctly.

The stripped or complete lowers that are shown for sale are ones that were bought, and parted out.

In general, they are the hardest lower to find, and the most sought after by collectors. The C-series would be the hardest of them to obtain as they have never been sold, and the ones that were released were given away by Magpul to good friends and the "right people".

John Hwang
29 October 2009, 09:34
You also want to make sure the lower will work with the SBR upper that you are planning to use. There are a lot of times when people will pay for a $200 tax stamp to find an issue with a lower.

eternal24k
12 December 2009, 07:57
Personally, I own a lot of billet and different forged lowers, every time I get a new one I always go back to my Megas wondering why I deviated.
I do not own a Mega billet yet, but their forged lowers are unbeatable in fit and finish, and I would recommend one of those since the new VLtor uppers are forged and a flatter finish than most billet lowers.

Army Chief
12 December 2009, 13:41
Since we're resurrecting this anyway, I'll bite, Stick: why recommend a MPL-C-series, and not an A-series; especially since only the MPL-A's have been commercially-released in any quantities? Does this all boil down to the "same difference" for the purposes of this discussion, or do you actually prefer the subtle differences of the MPL-C?

AC

Custom-X_Sponjah
17 December 2009, 11:46
I picked up 2 CMMG stripped lowers.
1 to SBR, the other for a middy fighting Carbine.

CXS

yxl2
26 April 2010, 11:00
SBRd my colt, lmt and armalite.

m249saw
26 April 2010, 13:51
Got a Mega Billet GTR-3H on the way to Ident Marking on my SBR build. Beautiful receiver.

DMGunn
27 April 2010, 19:45
I ordered a Tactical Innovations lower specifically to build an SBR around - I prefer "multi" caliber marking because I have doubts about the 5.56 in reduced velocity, and I really don't want "5.56" stamped on a rifle that is some other caliber. The serial number is a little large for my taste (minor detail imo), but it is a high quality, clean piece with lots of room on the magwell for SBR markings. I also have one of their BDX lowers that is supposed to be on its way to becoming a 6.5 Grendel...but I have seen a couple pics of them as SBRs and am tempted....Stickman is right of course - it is probably a permanent addition to the collection, so don't worry too much about the expense.

Stickman
14 May 2010, 09:06
Since we're resurrecting this anyway, I'll bite, Stick: why recommend a MPL-C-series, and not an A-series; especially since only the MPL-A's have been commercially-released in any quantities? Does this all boil down to the "same difference" for the purposes of this discussion, or do you actually prefer the subtle differences of the MPL-C?

AC

I missed your question before (sorry).

I don't recommend a Magpul C series, or even an A series to people as they are not something people can go buy, with very very few exceptions.

My comment about the C series was made as I already own one, and while I own the A series also, I treat the C series like a rented mule instead of a safe queen. My A series is safe queen, even though its serial number is several digits higher. I'm not sure why it worked out that way.

TehLlama
14 May 2010, 18:01
Among you guys with multiple SBR lowers, is there a preference between a Form1 or Form4? I have a POF GenII that I've been planning on going the Form1 route with, but is there something more to be gained by going with a factory SBR lower?

GriffonSec
14 May 2010, 18:36
Resale. A Form 1 with either your name, corp, or trust simply won't hold anywhere near the value a factory registered Form 4 lower would.

That said, my Noveske blem is Form 1.

CCK
17 May 2010, 07:20
Resale. A Form 1 with either your name, corp, or trust simply won't hold anywhere near the value a factory registered Form 4 lower would.

That said, my Noveske blem is Form 1.

I disagree with this. Don't buy a lower to SBR or a factory SBR'd lower for resale. You need to think of this lower as something you will be married to.
So get the one you like the best with the features you want. Billet/Forged, Ambi, yada yada yada....

In the scheme of things, is dropping $300 -400 on anything not something you can afford? ($100-200 lower, $200 stamp).

The $200 stamp is a sunk cost. After that check is cashed there ain't no getting it back.

Chris.

GriffonSec
17 May 2010, 08:05
I agree with you wholeheartedly. There are those that may choose/need at a later point to sell off. The stamp is a lost cost, but base value of the reciever in the event of sale is what I meant by the statement.

TehLlama
17 May 2010, 18:31
I agree, residual value still exists, but for most that would be sold after lots of other quite painful sales - at that point the devaluation because of trust/individual markings on a receiver wouldn't phase me as much - but my outlook on SBR ownership is probably unique. I can really see the attraction of a Form4, but it doesn't seem it's for me, especially when I have a POF lying around unbuilt.

CCK
18 May 2010, 07:38
I've never seen a stripped used Title I lower for sale.
I would imagine it would be worth half or less of what a new one would cost.
So $50-100?
If anyone can foresee a time in their future where they may need that last c-note NFA is not for them now.

Chris

OneKYards
28 May 2010, 23:37
I am papering a Diablo 5.56 - 7" Upper. Not that I will fire it all of the time but it's the shortest barrel I will run. My lower is made by a small company out of Tucson. Double Diamond Law Enforcement Supply. They are changing the name soon but the receiver has no logo on the left side, so you can engrave as you see fit. It IS a Perfect Match to the MUR Upper. I mean perfect. Fit and lines are awesome. No real pics but ask them if they can shoot some via email. My lower is getting a logo engraved on it before type III Hard Coat Anodizing. By the way, their lowers have the same ano as the VLTOR Uppers.

http://www.shop.doublediamondsupply.com/AR-15-Lower-Receiver-Vltor-matching-T2-DDARMVL01T2.htm

Doubletap13
24 July 2011, 00:47
What companies will still service a lower after you've made it into an SBR?

usmcvet
5 January 2012, 05:36
What companies will still service a lower after you've made it into an SBR?

I'm sure the manufacturer will still service it. It woukd likely be shipped w/o the upper and at that point revert back to a "rifle."

itschris
20 January 2012, 12:14
You also want to make sure the lower will work with the SBR upper that you are planning to use. There are a lot of times when people will pay for a $200 tax stamp to find an issue with a lower.

What kind of issues woudl there be between one lower or another. Are you talking about a defect in the lower itself or some sort of incompatability?