PDA

View Full Version : First AR Build

newblood
24 October 2009, 11:48
I am about to start the assembly process on my first build. Little nervous but gotta learn. I would like to know any tips/trick that might help out (already looked through the how to) Also looking for input on the componet selections I have made and any suggestions on what you would have done differently, and a few things I have not picked up yet.

LOWER:

Spikes Lower
Geissele DMR
KNS Piviot/Take pins
Magpul Enhanced TG
Magpul MIAD
Magpul ACS

UPPER:

Vltor MUR
Centurion 16.1 Mid Barrel 1:7
DD Lite 12 FSPM
PWS FSC556 (for the Phantom Supressor im waiting on)
AA Piston System
AA 1pc Bolt carrier

I am lacking BUIS, Optics/Mount also a Bolt and a Bipod. Suggestions would be great!

Thanks

cmoore
26 October 2009, 04:04
Nice rig you have there...

the guys out here at JD Machine Tech punch out those lowers for Spike's, Noveske. I picked up one of their older KD lowers last week for my distant project...

For a BUIS, try a Matech. It has nice elevation adjustments out to 600 meters, but it does limit you to a small aperture.

You like optics with magnification? Without?

As far as HWS's, I've run both EoTech and Aimpoint and like them both. For magnification, I put a 3x Hensoldt-Wetzlar (the old Panzerfaust 44) behind the EoTech and it works pretty well. I mounted that to a LaRue cantilever so I can cam it out of the way when I don't need it.

Some guys I work with went with Leupold CQT's ($$$) but they are awesome.

Happy hunting...(for gear)...

newblood
26 October 2009, 05:54
Thanks cmoore
I was looking into magnified. Either a Leupold mark ar in 3x9 or a Trijicon 1.5x4. This will be my first optic and not sure which power to put on it 3x9 or 1.5x4?? As for the BUIS I will look into the Matech. Any suggestions? I am primarly looking at 100 to 300 yard range.

bigcoastie
26 October 2009, 07:23
I would look at true 1-4x optics if you are going to do more close range work. Something like the Burris XTR or Trijicon TR24 are going to be a better bet than the 1.25-4x or 1.5-4x optics. If you want to go the cheap route to see if you like it first I would recommend the Primary Arms 1-4x, Millet 1-4x or the Weaver 1-3x (these all are not true 1x)

tac40
26 October 2009, 08:02
Perhaps consider looking at the RDS vs an adjustable or fixed power scope. Aimpoint or EO-Tech with a 3X power magnification attached to a flip mount. Check LaRue mounts. I understand Bobro is devolping or looking into new mounts.

A soild BUIS is Troy but for cost comparrison check out the Magpul MBUIS-both front and back. For bipod, I like the Bobro, take a look at the GG&G and the Harris bipod. Things add up, so if cost is a factor, shop around.

A bolt for the AR BCG, look at Bravo Company as well as AR Performance, their ITS bolt is well made. I have ITS bolt for my 6.8mm. It looks like you're building an nice AR, good luck.

newblood
31 October 2009, 06:38
I decided to go with the Leupold Mark AR 3x9x40 in super high Leupold mounts. Also YHM BUIS because of low profile and cost, I went with the manual not spring assisted.

OK here is where I'm at. I have assembled the lower and I tried attach the upper(to make sure of fit) and it WONT fit!!! the piviot pin fits and the take down will not go thru. Looking at the hole the two receivers do not match up[bash] Is this common? What lowers fit and don't fit with the MUR?

I am thinking at this point to go with a POF 415 Gen III

Gator
1 November 2009, 15:56
They should line up and at most, probably be just a little tight... Would you have access to another upper and lower? A friend's maybe? Just to see which one does and does not fit. Once you find the culprit, just contact the dealer or manufacturer. Im sure theyll replace it if something is out of spec.

lmtrocks
10 November 2009, 19:13
I decided to go with the Leupold Mark AR 3x9x40 in super high Leupold mounts. Also YHM BUIS because of low profile and cost, I went with the manual not spring assisted.

OK here is where I'm at. I have assembled the lower and I tried attach the upper(to make sure of fit) and it WONT fit!!! the piviot pin fits and the take down will not go thru. Looking at the hole the two receivers do not match up[bash] Is this common? What lowers fit and don't fit with the MUR?

I am thinking at this point to go with a POF 415 Gen III

I've got a complete Spikes Tac lower too and it's a little tight when fitting my AA 6.5G on it and that upper sits very nicely on my essential arms lower. I also tried my LMT upper before sending it off for cerakoting and it seemed a little tight, although not nearly as much. Also check your buffer tube that it's not threaded in too far---that possibly might have something to do with it. If I don't sell this complete lower it's gonna get a plinking caliber on it: 9mm, 7.62x25, or 5.45x39.

newblood
11 November 2009, 08:14
Well last night I reinstalled the Mil spec pins and it loosend up some. But it think I will look at the buffer tube tonight and if thats not it I'm gonna buy another lower. I figure I am going to need it anyways and I wanted a billet to begin with anyways.

I received all the parts today to complete my "wish list" with the exception of the possible new lower and the YHM QD Phantom I ordered last week, so the wait begins again for that now.

chase102798
13 November 2009, 18:16
I have had my MUR attached to a spike's lower (in the past), a Sun devil lower (great fit), and it currently is on a TKS lower. They all fit good, and it fits the billet lowers like a glove. But like one of the gentleman said, it should be a little snug.I like when it's a tough push or needs a little tap from a small nylon hammer. You probably wouldn't be happy if the upper was rattling around all sloppy on the pins. A nice solid fit just makes the gun sexy to shoot.

I have liked the color match the best from the TKS lower. The spikes was like a semi-gloss, and the sun devil was a little caulky looking (so I used that one for a paint job). Some photos of the POF I have seen have looked black-purple to me compared to the MUR, and the mega machine shop stuff looks a little darker black than the MUR. If you want to browse some pictures of combos check out this site from the wizard of black magic photography: http://stickman.rainierarms.com/.

Just don't fall in love with the Magpul lowers, you stand a better chance of getting pregnant. (assuming you're a dude)