PDA

View Full Version : RRA Varmint A4 24" Stainless Bull Barrel - Rail Compatibility

federalist22
24 October 2009, 14:26
I have just removed the RRA standard 12" free float tube from my RRA 24" Varmint Stainless Bull Barrel--this was a royal pain as the tube had an integrated barrel (it was the barrel nut).

I have an extra DD Lite Rail 12 on hand and I would like to put it on, but it does not fit. First, the barrel nut would not fit over the lip behind the gas port, so I would have to grind a small amount of the inside (non-threaded portion), but that would be easy. Second, which is the touch decision, is that the rail itself will not go over the lip behind the gas port, but it would have less to remove than the barrel nut would. The only thing about the rail is that the area to grind goes about 1/2" into the rail--no big deal, right?

- Has anyone installed a DD Lite Rail on a RRA bull barrel, or other manufacturer bull barrel? If, so, please share your story.

- Would you grind it out to make it fit? Are there any real cons to grinding (it's really more like shaving) it out?

Paulo_Santos
24 October 2009, 14:55
I'm having a hard time understanding. Are you trying to install it without removing the gas block?

I had the same exact upper years ago and I remember that a standard barrel nut would not fit because the barrel was too thick.

federalist22
24 October 2009, 15:01
The DD Lite Rail barrel nut would need to be shaved out on the inside--no problem. I have read a thread elsewhere describing that and saw the pictures that it is possible. That thread I read did not talk about the rail not fitting though. When I slide the rail over the barrel (block/gas tube removed), the rail stops at the ridge on the barrel behind the gas port. It looks like I could shave it some and it would go, but are there any cons to it? It would be shaved on the inside--unseen when assembled.

Paulo_Santos
24 October 2009, 15:27
There would be no cons as long as it is just a little bit. The only con would be if you decide to sell the rail later on.

federalist22
24 October 2009, 15:34
I'll never sell the rail, just didn't want to break the structural integrity of the piece. Do you think I should make sure that when I shave it down that there is enough clearance so the rail is not touching the barrel when mounted up--keep it free floated?

Paulo_Santos
24 October 2009, 15:43
Absolutely. If you plan on using a bipod, try it and make sure that the barrel doesn't touch the rail when you are in the prone position.

federalist22
24 October 2009, 16:44
I think that with the DD Lite Rail, as long as I bore out the opening, it should be strong enough to not touch the barrel, but I know what you mean and I will check it. I'll try to post pics when done.

Thanks.

federalist22
25 October 2009, 10:48
I got the rail bored out to float around my bull barrel. I had to use a Dremel high-speed engraving bit to cut into the inside of the rail at the mount end. I was able to remove enough of the rail housing for the barrel to sit untouched inside--IDEAL. The rail had about a 1" deep area that needed to be enlarged. After I ground it out, I polished the area inside the rail using another Dremel bit so that it would remove any burrs and smooth it out to the touch. I'll post pics soon if any wants to see what I did.