PDA

View Full Version : 16 Middy project question...

Gator
25 October 2009, 06:56
Need quite a bit of help choosing a rail and gas block...
Was looking into the DD RIS Mk18 but that's a no go. Love the URX RAS but its too complicated to install... I would prefer one I can service/install and uninstall myself... so now, Im considering the 10" DD Lite rail but still open to everyones opinions (Including on the URX RAS).
Troy perhaps? any opinions/reviews on the Troy MRF?
What about gas blocks?
RIght now, I like the Young Mfg Aluminum Low Profile - .750 (with back-slanted front) for the look (but hesitant becasue it's aluminum)and the PRI low profile, but again, more than open to your opinions...
I would prefer the gas block to be permanently pinned if that's possible with the 2 Ive mentioned.
To lay it all out for everyone, rails, I more or less have my thoughts but want to see opinions of those in the know and with more experience to compare to those of my own. Gasblocks, all up in the air still. Prior to this project, Ive been a basic FSB person all my life so with regards to gasblocks...[noob]

Gator
25 October 2009, 07:14
Im looking to making this build my ultimate weapon... One I can all but break if needed.
Hammer forged barrel (BCM)
Possibly a Larue upper if I can get one...
Micro T1, troy BUIS, All mislpec, Colt FCG etc...

Paulo_Santos
25 October 2009, 08:34
The Troy MRX are very nice. I had several of them. I would either get the DD Lite or the new Troy TRX Standard 11" handguard as they don't make them in 10". As far as the low profile gas block, get any decent one you can find. It is going to be hidden under the handguard, so no one is going to see it.

federalist22
25 October 2009, 10:55
Careful which upper receiver you choose because it could impact your rail selection. For instance, my Sun Devil would not fit with a DD Lite Rail, only with an M4 Rail. Make sure your receiver walls are not too thick for a DD Lite Rail (screws can be preclude mounting fit)--some billet uppers can limit you.

DD makes a real nice low-pro gas block--I have one under my 12" M4 Rail--easy to install, fits under the rail, and works like a champ.

Gator
25 October 2009, 21:27
Thanks for the responses!
With regards to the gasblock, might go with the PRI or Vltor.
What do you all think of pin-welding these things on permanently? Bad idea?

Paulo_Santos
25 October 2009, 21:35
Thanks for the responses!
With regards to the gasblock, might go with the PRI or Vltor.
What do you all think of pin-welding these things on permanently? Bad idea?

I always pin the low-profile gas block.

Gator
25 October 2009, 22:18
GTG then. THanks for the help! [:D]