PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Release mounts (Aimpoint/ scopes, etc)

Stickman
19 November 2007, 18:09
For people who don't know, American Defense MFG has released a new lineup of mounts. These are ones that lock into place, and don't require tools to adjust. Rumor has it that there are several other manufacturers who are getting ready to come into this market as well.

My question for you guys becomes this, what is it that you feel makes a good mount?

Light weight, durability, repeatability in zero, ease of use, ease of adjustment, no interference into the rail? I talk to different people and everyone seems to have a specific focus. Most people don't really appear to remove their mounts on a regular basis, but the guys that do seem to have a different list than those who don't.

What are your thoughts, and what are you looking for in new mounts?

JTrusty
19 November 2007, 18:39
This is the setup that I have been using for the past few years:

http://photos.gearsector.com/galleries/Carbine%20Images/dd2.jpg

Durability first and foremost. A mount simply must work, retain zero, and not shoot loose.

Repeatability a close second. The 3x magnifier is often removed and replaced ( as circumstances dictate ), however, repeatability with the 3x
is a non-issue. The Aimpoint on the other hand is rarely removed. Even if the only time you remove your optic is to clean your weapon there
is a definate need for repeatability. Not many individuals care to re-zero their optics with each cycle.

Adjustability and ease of adjustment aren't that much of a concern for me. I tend to buy components that are machined to spec. From a
manufacturers standpoint I can see where this would be of great concern. A manufacturer must meet the needs of a much larger and varied
audience.

Weight also doesn't concern me. Unless the mount was cast in lead, the difference in weight between any given mount isn't going to affect
weapon balance and would probably be completely indiscernible to most users.

For me the perfect mount is one that is easy to install, built like tank, performs flawlessly, repeats zero with removal and reinstallation,
is quality machined and esthetically pleasing.

m24shooter
25 November 2007, 15:23
Light weight, durability, repeatability in zero, ease of use, ease of adjustment, no interference into the rail? I talk to different people and everyone seems to have a specific focus. Most people don't really appear to remove their mounts on a regular basis, but the guys that do seem to have a different list than those who don't.
Stick, I really like your review of this thing. It looks like a great piece of kit.
For me, I would rate your points from most to least important as:
Durability-I want something that can handle hitting the pavement/door/vehicle
No interference-would prefer not to have the rail screwed up
Light weight-important, but the few ounces that might be saved aren't a big deal to me
No tools for adjustment/installation-I like not having to have another tool ready when I install it or if I have to remove and reinstall it
Ease of use-easy is always good
Repeatability-I don't swap optics, so that isn't a big issue. If I'm taking it off it is for some type of major work that will probably require a return to BZO anyway

So is Ranier going to carry these?