PDA

View Full Version : KAC URX II Question

Gator
6 November 2009, 03:58
Ok so I previously started a thread on a 16 middy build with the DD Mk18 as the preferred rail.
Im now re-thinking that project and contemplating going down to a 14.5 Middy with a URX II middy (yes despite the complexity as stated in my previous thread).
Question is, what are my gasblock options with regards to this config. I understand the URX may not (or actually does not )fit just any gasblock (or am I rather safe with a middy gas system?)so Id like to know what my other options are. The 2 Im thinking of are the Larue Low-pro and ofcourse the KAC low-pro. Anything else that you guys would recommend? From the two Ive mentioned, which one would you guys opt for and why?

chococat
12 November 2009, 19:59
The setup you describe won't work. KAC mid-length gas system is longer than the 9" mid-length normally encountered. The gas block will interfere with the flip front sight which is housed in the front part of the rail and protrudes downward into the space where the gas block normally would go. Were you to go with a carbine length gas system with mid-length URXII or a mid-length gas system and rifle-length URXII, you would be fine. It still may be necessary to shave a little of the front upper part of the gas block to ease installation of the barrel. Vltor, PRI and similar low profile gas blocks will work as should the KAC.

good luck,
Al

Gator
14 November 2009, 04:06
Thanks! Was worried it had to do with the rail itself and not just gasblock choice...

andy_ita
12 February 2010, 16:07
hi guys
im andy in italy

im intrested to buy a urxII too
but i need some info

i have a 10.5" barrel on my K3b
now im using a 10" DD lite rail, with a larue low profile gas block.
i want to use it with a kx3 and triple tap compensator.

now... i need to know...what is the lengh ot the middle lenght urxII?? it should be 10 3/4" am i right?

i want to mount it with a triple tap.. if i go with it, may i tight the compensator with the rail mounted?

last question.. have i to buy a special wrench tool totight the urx barrel nut???
thanks for the info
cioa
andy

andy_ita
14 February 2010, 13:33
up

pezboy
17 February 2010, 11:51
hi guys
im andy in italy

im intrested to buy a urxII too
but i need some info

i have a 10.5" barrel on my K3b
now im using a 10" DD lite rail, with a larue low profile gas block.
i want to use it with a kx3 and triple tap compensator.

now... i need to know...what is the lengh ot the middle lenght urxII?? it should be 10 3/4" am i right?

i want to mount it with a triple tap.. if i go with it, may i tight the compensator with the rail mounted?

last question.. have i to buy a special wrench tool totight the urx barrel nut???
thanks for the info
cioa
andy

The mid length URX is too long to use with a 10.5" barrel. You need a 11.5"+ barrel like this http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33558.
Dustin

andy_ita
17 February 2010, 12:03
well..i measured my barrel....
it is without the flash hider.. 11.2"
btw...the kac is too much expensive...
i bought a 11" troy TRX and i will cut down on the front bottom like the Kac...
it should be a good project...i hope

DanJaquish
17 February 2010, 21:00
Here is a sweetie I put together using a Fail Zero upper, custom fluted 14.5 barrel (MFG unknown, bbl provided by customer) with welded and pinned FH, and KAC rifle length URX. While not a mid length this carbine is similar to what you are looking for. The gun was finished in Grey Moly from Norrells.

http://kozumi.smugmug.com/photos/718423617_b3A97-L.jpg

http://kozumi.smugmug.com/photos/718423636_XcosA-L.jpg