PDA

View Full Version : Using a Magpul ASAP without the second ring?

HeavyDuty
8 November 2009, 10:27
I don't own a Magpul ASAP plate, if I had one in hand this might be obvious.

Why the secondary ring on the ASAP? Why not just clip on to the primary ring like with a Ikickhippies plate?

Stickman
8 November 2009, 13:13
I don't own a Magpul ASAP plate, if I had one in hand this might be obvious.

Why the secondary ring on the ASAP? Why not just clip on to the primary ring like with a Ikickhippies plate?

There is no reason at all you can't do this.

Paulo_Santos
8 November 2009, 13:49
The second ring may actually have a purpose. Without that ring, the rear attachment part of the MS2 sling may be too close to the plate which may interfere with the way it operates. It is harder to explain in writing then it is to actually show in person. If you do have the ASAP Plate and the MS2 sling, try hooking it up directly to the ASAP and see how it transitions.

HeavyDuty
8 November 2009, 15:14
I ordered an ASAP today - let's find out!

federalist22
8 November 2009, 19:55
I run an ASAP and MS2 and I have not tried connecting the MS2 to the primary ring, but if I had to guess, it would probably not be free to move correctly being that the MS2 connector is larger than the floating ring on the ASAP. The connection of the MS2 connector to the ASAP floating ring facilitates a smoother transition angle you probably won't get if directly connected to the primary runner. Just my two cents. I am trying to understand why you want to bypass the original design and what advantage it presents.

Paulo_Santos
8 November 2009, 20:08
I run an ASAP and MS2 and I have not tried connecting the MS2 to the primary ring, but if I had to guess, it would probably not be free to move correctly being that the MS2 connector is larger than the floating ring on the ASAP. The connection of the MS2 connector to the ASAP floating ring facilitates a smoother transition angle you probably won't get if directly connected to the primary runner. Just my two cents. I am trying to understand why you want to bypass the original design and what advantage it presents.

Thanks. You wrote it better than I did. [BD]:P[:)][adore]

HeavyDuty
8 November 2009, 20:12

I'm not planning on using a MS2 at this point; I'm just trying to understand the reason for and the advantage of the secondary link. I suspect you're right, that it's a movement issue.

HeavyDuty
8 November 2009, 20:20
Am I correct in assuming there's no issue with using a fully collapsed ACS and an ASAP?

Ian/SWAT-K9
9 November 2009, 01:20
I run my ASAP with an SOE single point bungee and an HK clip.....works great!

federalist22
9 November 2009, 01:56
Am I correct in assuming there's no issue with using a fully collapsed ACS and an ASAP?

I also run the ACS stock--no issues. Here's a pic. Although I do not have the stock completely collapsed in the pic, it does fully collapse. The ASAP does not extend out past the castle nut, and does not interfere with the stock. On that note, maybe this is another reason for having the floating ring......to allow for better movement when the stock is fully collapsed.

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv358/federalist22/034.jpg

HeavyDuty
9 November 2009, 05:51
I just had an off-list discussion with a member that runs an ASAP with his ACS. He found a fully collapsed ACS doesn't foul on the ASAP itself but it does prevent the secondary ring from floating as designed. It sounds like I'd do better with something like a Noveske QD on this particular carbine with the ACS since I expect to run the stock fully closed; I'm still going to try the ASAP on one of my other ARs that doesn't have a clearance issue.

Thanks, guys!

Slippers
9 November 2009, 14:59
I have an ACS with the Noveske QD end plate. You can fully close the stock, but it will press the button of the QD swivel. This isn't an issue as long as the stock is not extended while the sling is under tension towards the rear, and even then, it's still being torqued to the side slightly, so it may not pop out, but it's something to be cautious of.

I also have a CTR, which rests against the QD swivel when closed, too.

federalist22
9 November 2009, 15:24
If you need a sling to work with the the ACS and an HK clip or something of the sort, take a look at the Gear Sector mounts: http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/ar15.m16-mounts/carbine-sling-mounts/

This may be more of what you are looking for. I also have a couple of Gear Sector SPRE mounts and ASP slings and they work real well for my needs.

HeavyDuty
9 November 2009, 18:39
Thanks, guys - I had a real "duh" moment on TOS when I realized the stock doesn't lock all the way closed against the castle nut, and that I'd probably be running it locked in the first position which would be fine with the ASAP. As I said, duh.

That said I'm tempted to make this 9mm carbine all QD with a Noveske plate, the Magpul QD on the ACS and a AR15Performance QD socket on the TRX Extreme to cover both single and two point slinging. The ASAP is going on one of my 5.56 carbines.

Gear Sector is the sling I've been leaning toward getting - I've never worked with a sling before.

Slippers
9 November 2009, 19:29
Thanks, guys - I had a real "duh" moment on TOS when I realized the stock doesn't lock all the way closed against the castle nut, and that I'd probably be running it locked in the first position which would be fine with the ASAP.

Is there a specific reason your ACS doesn't lock when in the shortest position? My ACS locks while flush with the castle nut.

HeavyDuty
10 November 2009, 05:28
Mine's not here yet, so I'm basing it on what I'm being told by others. Are you saying your ACS locks fully collapsed into one of the standard five or six positions on the tube or that it locks fully collapsed with a friction lock?

mlosi762
10 November 2009, 06:35
Is there a specific reason your ACS doesn't lock when in the shortest position? My ACS locks while flush with the castle nut.

So does mine. Even with the ASAP installed, I can close/lock flush with the castle nut. The link ring of the ASAP must be either fully to the right or left to do so, but it still locks into place.

mlosi762
10 November 2009, 06:47

Mine's not here yet, so I'm basing it on what I'm being told by others. Are you saying your ACS locks fully collapsed into one of the standard five or six positions on the tube or that it locks fully collapsed with a friction lock?

Can't speak for Slippers setup, but mine locks into the standard first position, without needing to use the friction lock(which also can easily be engaged as well). Note however, the link ring will not be able to slide back and forth with the stock fully closed.

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af44/mlosi762_photos/100_1161.jpg

Slippers
10 November 2009, 09:36

Yes, mine completely locks into the first position, with the stock flush against the castle nut. I have a 6 position receiver extension.

In case you haven't used an ACS or CTR before, you'll find that you cannot use the friction lock unless the stock is locked into one of the fixed positions on the receiver extension. Otherwise the friction lock cannot close fully.

Here is mine:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6938/acsfit0001.jpg

HeavyDuty
10 November 2009, 19:02
This will obviously make more sense when the ACS gets here. Thanks, people!

HeavyDuty
22 November 2009, 07:20
Now that the ACS is here and installed I can see the ASAP won't work for me on this carbine. I like the fit of the ACS in the fully closed position - it could stand to be between the closed and first position, so I'll just order one of the enhanced buttpads.

I ordered an ambidextrous HK ring receiver plate for use with the ACS and put the ASAP on one of my other carbines that has MOE furniture. I decided I want to try sticking with HK snap hooks or MASH hooks for slinging.

Thanks for all the input and advice!

moneey
2 December 2009, 00:49
With the noveske end plate, if you use a standard swivel (not the heavy duty one), you can fully collapse the stock and the swivel will not be engaged. Sorry but I don't remember the brand name of the swivel. However, Brownell's carry it.