PDA

View Full Version : I need a gas block and don't know what kind to get

niner
11 November 2009, 11:55
I need a gas block for an 18" rifle length barrel using a 12" DD Lite fore arm. I think I would like the sight mounted to the barrel and not the fore arm so I thought about getting a railed gas block, but I don't know which ones would be inline with the rail/upper receiver. Also I've read that the heat from shooting can do funny things to how it sets, and if it is plastic, it will melt. I figured if I can find a railed gas block I would use a troy flip sight or something similar.

Do y'all think I should just get a flip-up sight gas block? I saw one from VLTOR that looked somewhat decent. I will need something of quality as this will be my primary shooting method until I can get the scope/mounts I want. But when I do get the scope, I would like to be able to flip the sights out of the way of the scope.

Thanks I really appreciate y'all's patience with me.

Paulo_Santos
11 November 2009, 13:17
I definitely would go with a flip up sight gas block.

niner
11 November 2009, 13:20
any particular ones to consider?

Paulo_Santos
11 November 2009, 14:54
The PRI, KAC if you can find them, Vltor, or the ARMS one.

John Hwang
11 November 2009, 18:10
First choice would be PRI or ARMS.

rebelEMPIRE
11 November 2009, 19:26
I have one from Vltor and it's great. It's on the same height as the rest of your rail, so if you do not want to utilize the original flip up for whatever reason you can still mount something else in its place. Also, it takes Quick Disconnects.

I've always wondered if the QD holes are still accessible with the Daniel Defense LITE FSP series rails.

-rebelEMPIRE

NickDrak
12 November 2009, 18:19
I would recommend the Vltor or the PRI. Vltor just recently redesigned their folding front sight/gasblock, and now offer it with or without the QD socket, and in a clamp-on or pin-on version. Im not sure if anyone has them available yet though. MilitaryMorons has a recent write-up of the new Vltor VST-1 (Gen-2).

Im thinkin' the new clamp-on/NO QD socket version will fit under the DD rail on the DD M4, which would be slicker than shit for those of you who already have DD M4's.