PDA

View Full Version : LMT SOPMOD buffer tube availability?

Hoss356
13 November 2009, 22:17
I had to return a BS trigger to Rainier the other day and one of the guys had the LMT SOPMOD stock with the supplied LMT tube. That tube had some kind of coating on it the made the stock slide extremely effortlessly, needless to say I'm now unimpressed with my Mil spec buffer tube. Now I know this has nothing to do with reliability or accuracy in any way but I'm a big proponent of fit and finish, not so much color matching but the way a well made part feels in your hands. The guys there said they haven't seen the buffer tube offered my themselves but maybe someone here has? Or another tube with the same characteristics?

As far as the trigger went, nothing against Bill Springfield, it had a really nice light pull and crisp break with virtually no creep but it let the hammer fall during reset. I'm sure with such close tolerances involved with getting the stock trigger to be that precise, and varying tolerances from one lower receiver to the next, that is bound to happen occasionally. Rainier was more than helpful in fixing the issue, so a big thanks to them, and I ended up walking out of there with the Geissele SSA which is pretty sweet in it's own right. I spent more than I had anticipated but I'm very happy with what I got and I'll definitely be shopping at Rainier again.

Stickman
14 November 2009, 00:53
The SSA trigger owns the market as far as I'm concerned.

Blankwaffe
20 November 2009, 00:35
I had to return a BS trigger to Rainier the other day and one of the guys had the LMT SOPMOD stock with the supplied LMT tube. That tube had some kind of coating on it the made the stock slide extremely effortlessly, needless to say I'm now unimpressed with my Mil spec buffer tube. Now I know this has nothing to do with reliability or accuracy in any way but I'm a big proponent of fit and finish, not so much color matching but the way a well made part feels in your hands. The guys there said they haven't seen the buffer tube offered my themselves but maybe someone here has? Or another tube with the same characteristics?

As far as the trigger went, nothing against Bill Springfield, it had a really nice light pull and crisp break with virtually no creep but it let the hammer fall during reset. I'm sure with such close tolerances involved with getting the stock trigger to be that precise, and varying tolerances from one lower receiver to the next, that is bound to happen occasionally. Rainier was more than helpful in fixing the issue, so a big thanks to them, and I ended up walking out of there with the Geissele SSA which is pretty sweet in it's own right. I spent more than I had anticipated but I'm very happy with what I got and I'll definitely be shopping at Rainier again.

Last I looked DSG Arms had the LMT RE's in stock.
HTH

Hoss356
20 November 2009, 09:27
Thanks, that did help. Even though most site that offer the tube don't mention a grey "dry teflon film", one site did but they failed to mention a part number, so I just called up LMT and they were more than helpful. Turns out the "receiver extension" tube #LMP259A is the only one they carry, which is the same unit that comes on their production rifles and in their (complete) SOPMOD stock kit.

Blankwaffe
20 November 2009, 16:59
Yeap,all the LMT RE's are coated with the gray dry film lube inside and out.Just FYI,the dry film lube is the same that is applied inside the upper receiver,and thus is not a permanent or extremely durable coating.So expect to see some wear to the finish over time,and if your really concerned about it keep CLP off the exterior of the tube as it will cause it to come off at a much faster rate.I managed to rub the dry film lube off the front of the RE's in less than a couple months,so don't get bent when you start to see it go away....its normal.
The RE's are anodized black under the dry film lube.