PDA

View Full Version : Magpul B.A.D.

Paulo_Santos
14 November 2009, 17:44
I got my Magpul BAD a couple of weeks ago and I've taken it out shooting to test it out. So far, which I hope is just a training issue for me, is that I sometimes hit the BAD with my trigger finger instead of the trigger. One I have my finger on the trigger, it is no problem, it is just when going from the finger indexed position to placingmy finger on the trigger that I have to get used to. I have skinny fingers so that isn't the issue.

Anyone else have that problem? Any pointers?

Waveman
15 November 2009, 20:45
This is what I use and have not had any issues. I index below the mag release just forward of the trigger. The lever arm is located high in the trigger area and formed to fit close to the receiver.

http://www.redi-mag.com/Shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=31&idcategory=5

rob_s
16 November 2009, 03:24
I have a Redi-Catch also, two actually, but they aren't really apples:apples as the RC only allows you to lock the bolt to the rear, not release it. And it does it in the opposite direction (push down to lock it, while the BAD releases when pushing down) If Boonie Packer could find a way to make their lever do both I would prefer it.

Paulo, on your issue I'm not sure I'm understanding what's happening to you.

I have an article coming out in the next couple of months that covers the proper use of the BAD levers because there seems to be so many misconceptions on how to use it.

To perform an emergency reload...

1) trigger finger (TF) begins on trigger when firing until empty
2) TF moves to mag release button & presses in & releases empty magazine
3) TF hangs out there while the support hand inserts the fresh mag
4) once fresh magazine is seated (push/pull), TF moves downward from button to trigger, sweeping the BAD along the way
5) TF returns to trigger and resumes firing

What is your normal "index position" when you aren't firing?

Paulo_Santos
16 November 2009, 05:50
When I go from finger indexed like in the picture below, to putting the finger on he trigger, the BAD sometimes gets in the way.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/100_6125.jpg

Keebsley
16 November 2009, 07:35
Possibly start indexing on the trigger guard to prevent it from happening?

Paulo_Santos
16 November 2009, 16:14
Here is a video to show what I am talking about. I figured it would be easier to show it, then explain it. A video is worth a thousand pictures. [BD][:D]

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/th_IMG_0227.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/?action=view&current=IMG_0227.flv)

rob_s
17 November 2009, 06:44
I could see how that would cause a potential issue. My finger is always either lower or higher. I'm supposed to take some photos this weekend for my article. I'll try to post some version of them here.

ETA:
Is that a MOE or a MIAD? If a MIAD, is it the largest size backstrap? One downside to all these fat grips that a lot of people don't realize is that they may seem to make your trigger finger land nicely on the tip, they put you further away from the controls.

It it's a MIAD with the large backstrap I'd knock it down to the medium, or MOE-size.

Paulo_Santos
17 November 2009, 08:27
It is the Miad with the fatter grip. I tried the smaller grip and it was worse. It moved my finger forward even more, which made it worse. I ended up removing it altogether. Another thing that I noticed is that I would sometimes also hit the BAD instead of the magazine release. I think this thing was a BAD idea for me. [BD][:D]

federalist22
17 November 2009, 14:06
I have been following this since you posted it.......maybe you just have long fingers......lol.

Hoss356
17 November 2009, 16:14
Nothing a cut-off wheel couldn't fix, just take a little off the end.

federalist22
17 November 2009, 16:36
I was on business in Aurora, CO two weeks ago and met a guy missing all 4 fingertips at the joint on his right hand--he seemed to function fine, although I did not seem him handle a firearm.

Paulo_Santos
17 November 2009, 17:38
Nothing a cut-off wheel couldn't fix, just take a little off the end.

I was on business in Aurora, CO two weeks ago and met a guy missing all 4 fingertips at the joint on his right hand--he seemed to function fine, although I did not seem him handle a firearm.

LMAO. I think it would be less painful to cut off the BAD, but I'm not going to mess with it or my finger.[wow][BD]
I've been shooting fine without the BAD, so I'll just keep it off. Not knocking it, just doesn't work for me. Just like the Redi-mag/Redi-mod doesn't work for me since I like to use the magwell hold a lot.

rob_s
18 November 2009, 06:17
Alright, I just ran a bunch of dryfire and figured out why you have a problem and I don't.

I am 99% of the time using the magazine release button as my ready spot. It's a good index point for the trigger finger tip as it is rough in texture so I can be consistent with placement by feel. If the bolt is locked back and the BAD protrudes then I need to hit it on the way to the trigger anyway. If the bolt is forward and the BAD is recessed, I never even notice that it is there.

But, it's not for everyone, and if it doesn't work for you or you find that it modifies your TTPs too much, then I'd skip it.

But I still think that large MIAD is too big for you. [:D]

Paulo_Santos
18 November 2009, 09:21
Rob, I'll give that a try and see how it works out.

Paulo_Santos
18 November 2009, 11:15
I figured it out. I re-installed it and I moved it slightly forward so that the lever is touching the magwell. Now my finger doesn't really hit the BAD anymore. I can actually index my finger by placing it on top of the BAD and still have enough room to get to the trigger.

All is finally happy in Santos Land.

federalist22
18 November 2009, 13:38
Cool. Glad you fixed it because the draconian method of hacking off fingertips for this one rifle modification would have handicapped you for something else--it's like a bad haircut, you can't put it back once cut, only your fingers don't grow back over time like your hair does.

I like the BAD on my rifles.

My problem is that I have one rifle with a Sun Devil Upper and I want to try to put a BAD on it (won't fit because the receiver wall is too thick and the paddle depresses into a recessed area in the receiver wall). I would like to know if anyone has had any experience/luck with a high-speed adhesive that would hold the BAD lever, minus the backer plate, onto the bolt release paddle front.

zephir
21 November 2009, 18:55
Cool. Glad you fixed it because the draconian method of hacking off fingertips for this one rifle modification would have handicapped you for something else--it's like a bad haircut, you can't put it back once cut, only your fingers don't grow back over time like your hair does.

I like the BAD on my rifles.

My problem is that I have one rifle with a Sun Devil Upper and I want to try to put a BAD on it (won't fit because the receiver wall is too thick and the paddle depresses into a recessed area in the receiver wall). I would like to know if anyone has had any experience/luck with a high-speed adhesive that would hold the BAD lever, minus the backer plate, onto the bolt release paddle front.

You know i never thought of that... i posted on another thread today... i used a dremel tool and a sandpaper block to make the back plate fit what i needed. The metal is not very hard.