PDA

View Full Version : Howdy, new guy here.

N8dawg16
20 November 2009, 15:44
Hello all,

First off, this is an awesome site, thank you to the Moderators.
The title says quite a bit, I am new to the AR platform. My dept. allows officers to carry privately purchased AR's on patrol. I've been reading and digesting a little ton of information from this site and a few others.

I'm looking to buy my first AR. Like many others I'd like to get a good bang for my bucks and do not think my range master would go for me building my own.

Ok my actual questions:
1. Price range approx $1500.00. I've shopped locally and I think I can do better than $2k for a Colt.
2. I don't think I'll be adding a ton of gear to the gun itself. I'm not on SWAT just patrol. I would likely look at an optical sight in the future but irons would suit me fine andbe a good place to start.
3. Don't personally know how to decide between a 16 " barrel and the 14.5 with fixed suppressor. Is there really that much differance in balance and performance in the 1.5" differance?

Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

N8dawg16

Quentin
20 November 2009, 16:38
Just curious but wouldn't it be better to let the dept issue you a rifle? And maybe build one for your personal use?

Like has been said before, if you ever have to use it on the job, why let them lock up your personal property during an investigation.

OfcPowder
20 November 2009, 18:44
Just curious but wouldn't it be better to let the dept issue you a rifle? And maybe build one for your personal use?

Like has been said before, if you ever have to use it on the job, why let them lock up your personal property during an investigation.

He is probably on a deptartment like mine, where they don't buy you an AR. They are still issuing the Mini-14, and give us the option to use our own AR15 instead.

It comes down to comfort. If you feel more comfortable and are more accurate shooting an AR over whatever your department gives you, why would you not go with your own? My life is personally not worth thinking about whether or not the department is going to lock up my gun if I shoot a guy with it.

As for the original questions...
$1500 gets you a lot of gun. Things to think about if you're not buying an optic is to get a good quality gun from a good manufacturer, and at the least put a light on it. Daniel Defense, Noveske are both higher end rifles but worth their weight in gold. Other reputable makers are Colt, Rock River Arms, Stag, and many others. You can actually get LE Pricing on a Colt 6921, which is a basic 16" carbine, for $1150. This leaves you money to get a light and a bunch of PMags or other quality magazines.

phoenixlawenforcement.com has info on the Colt LE purchase.

Now, between a 16" and a 14.5", there isn't a ton of difference. Yes, 1.5" can make a difference in compactness, but not a ton. THere's only minor loss of velocity between the two, so that is not a huge deal either. The biggest difference is the ability to modify the rifle, such as adding a free floating rail. With a 16", the muzzle is not pinned, so it's much easier to take everything apart and reassemble. With the 14.5", it's pinned, so once it's put together, you have to grind and cut it off if you want to modify your weapon at all. For patrol use, tons of guys use 16" barrels, and some use 14.5", but honestly it's user preference.

I highly recommend an optic, and at least look at one if you've never used one. They can make a substantial difference in CQB, especially low light situations.

There are obviously tons of aftermarket accessories out there, including stocks, grips, rails, etc. See what other guys have and try to read reviews, and of course post any questions here.

Welcome to the forum!

Paulo_Santos
20 November 2009, 19:47
Welcome aboard. I recommend a quality AR like a Colt, LMT, or the Noveski N4. Then as you can afford it, get a good red dot sight, weapon light, a BUIS, and a sling. Those are the minimums I would buy. And don't forget good mags like the PMags or the USGI mags with the Magpul followers.

103m 95g
21 November 2009, 02:41
I notice your location is E WA, I'd contact these guys and set up a road trip
Toll-Free: 877-556-GUNS
Phone: (253) 218-2999
Fax: (253) 218-2998

Rainier Arms, LLC
3810 Auburn Way N, Ste 404
Auburn, WA 98002

For your budget there are many directions you can go, but for an entry carbine, I'd pick up a DD XV M4, and have a few $$$ left over for mags, sling, Light etc...

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1569

Quentin
21 November 2009, 09:14
Excellent points, OfcPowder. I was assuming his dept. would issue a quality AR (even if not the one you'd choose yourself) but you're right, it could be something you don't want to bet your life on.

Quib
21 November 2009, 09:49
Welcome to Weapon Evolution. [:)]

N8dawg16
21 November 2009, 10:14
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the replies. The nail got hit on the head Quentin. My dept issues carbines to officers on our TAC and SWAT teams. Some non TAC and SWAT officers have carbines but the guns are either their own or are old TAC guns.

I'd rather buy my own, cheap life insurance and honestly even if you lose it in a shooting you'll get it back.

I just bought Magpul's Tactical Carbine DVD, I'll be interested in seeing what they teach.

thanks for all the info, this is a great site.

N8dawg

chem_guy
2 December 2009, 13:47
N8dawg16,

Welcome from one new guy to another.

I really enjoyed Magpul's AOTTC, both Vol 1 & 2. I have since also shared them with my brother (active LEO) and dad (former MIL). We have been shooting since I was a boy and we all have learned new ideas and techniques that will help in the future.