PDA

View Full Version : Nation's Gun Show - Chantilly, VA 20-22 NOV 2009

federalist22
21 November 2009, 11:09
This recent gun show was about average for the Chantilly shows, but there were a few things of note.

- Ammo was surprisingly cheaper than before. .223/5.56 from Georgia Arms was running about 36.5¢/rd by the 100, or you could get 1000 55gr FMJ for $350/1000rds.

- AR prices were as low as low $700s for some of the run of the mill brands, but Colt, LWRC, Armalite, etc. were drawing top dollar (~$1500+/-) with or w/o rails.

- The most interesting thing I found was the abundance or "FAGPUL" (my short word for FAKE MAGPUL) stocks and the like. I picked one up, thinking it was a PRS and before I could ask how much the guy offered to sell it for $120. I then noticed the lack of MAGPUL names and logos on the side and the different textured butt pad and told him, loud enough so others could hear me, that it was a FAKE. He claimed it was a "good quality copy" and that they back their product for workmanship. So, out loud again, I told him it was crap and he would have a hard time selling fakes to people who knew what they were looking at. It really puts a bad taste in your mouth when you run across fakes. I did not see any of the reported DD rail fakes yet.

- There was a group selling the Camelback Delta V vests for $100, which is a steal.

Over all, I picked up some ammo and some extra PMAGs, but found little else I needed.

Captains1911
22 November 2009, 12:06
I usually attend this show every time it's around, but decided to skip it this time. It's good to know that ammo prices are coming back down. A friend of mine went friday evening and said that Wolf 7.62 was going for $200 for 1000, that's pre-obama prices, very comforting.

federalist22
22 November 2009, 15:30
A friend of mine went friday evening and said that Wolf 7.62 was going for $200 for 1000, that's pre-obama prices, very comforting.

I saw the Wolf prices, and yes they were low, but I just can't bring myself to buy Wolf yet, plus a friend of mine reloads .223 and if I surrender my spent casings I get a small amount back sometimes.

Captains1911
23 November 2009, 08:33
I saw the Wolf prices, and yes they were low, but I just can't bring myself to buy Wolf yet, plus a friend of mine reloads .223 and if I surrender my spent casings I get a small amount back sometimes.

I don't shoot Wolf thru my ARs (although I'm very tempted), but for an AK it's GTG.

federalist22
23 November 2009, 13:57
I heard Wolf has a gummy plastic residue on their rounds to keep them from corroding. I think the heat in the chamber of an AR would gum things up and leave traces of that plastic coating in the chamber area that impede bolt carriage performance--you could probably run Wolf better in a piston AR. I have one and the bolt stays cool as opposed to my DI platforms, so the piston action would probably not melt away whatever crappy coating Wolf puts on their rounds in your chamber.

Then again, lots of people run Wolf and like it, or at least act like they do from a cost standpoint.

tac40
23 November 2009, 14:40
This is interesting, the gun shows in Nevada are also showing some decrease in ammo pricing as well.

federalist22
24 November 2009, 02:03
I will also add that the attendance seemed to be down--used to be that you had to practically crowd surf to get anywhere on the floor, but this time it was easy to move through the aisles.