PDA

View Full Version : Surefire Earpro

103m 95g
25 November 2009, 10:06
Does anyone have experiance with the surfire brand of ear pro?

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

Paulo_Santos
25 November 2009, 12:10
They work pretty well. I wouldnt use them at the range, I would use them in a real situation because they only block a certain amount of sound while still allowing you to hear. Hunting would be a good example. They are also becoming very popular with musicians.

Keebsley
25 November 2009, 12:42
Outdoors, they work pretty well for me. At the indoor range, not so well but the sound is more compressed at the indoor range while outdoors the sound has more room to disperse. I have a few pairs that I keep in the range bag and in the manpurse for different sitautions.

Urban Tactical Gear
25 November 2009, 14:27
see my thoughts (http://www.urbantacticalgearreview.com/index.php/first-line-gear/personal-safety-items/surefire-ep3-plugs.html) minus combat pics

gunnut284
25 November 2009, 22:45
I have a pair and like them. They are very comfortable and fit well. In a indoor range they are a little loud depending on what your (or those around you) are shooting. Outdoors they are fine.

Uglyduck
25 November 2009, 22:56
I was issued a pair at work and use them everyday I'm on duty whenever running equipment. They work great for what I use them for.

devilpig
25 November 2009, 23:41
My pair works great...I have yet to use them indoors though, but they have a stopper on each one that is supposed to keep out more sound than normal

Narco
26 November 2009, 04:49
worked good at the last mpd class nolacopusmc and myself ran them

Hoss356
27 November 2009, 00:21
I used them at the indoor range two weeks ago and they worked just like regular ear plugs. I had the stoppers in the whole time so I really didn't test them (open) but I did find them to be a bit uncomfortable, slightly too big, after around 20 minutes and I ended up swapping them back out for the normal foamies.

Uglyduck
27 November 2009, 06:50
That reminds me. . . make sure you get the correct size. They come in sm, med, and lg

Hoss356
27 November 2009, 20:42
As long as you know the sizing has nothing to do with the ear canal. I got fitted with reusable plugs back on the ship but the sizing was directly related to the ear canal itself not the outside of the ear. http://www.surefire.com/pdfs/EP3_sizingchart.pdf

tac40
29 November 2009, 09:15
I had the opportunity to wear one at an anti-war demonstration, needless to say, I couldn't hear what the young man had to say to me but his hand gesture did catch my eye.[:D]

I wore the SF EP3 with the plug in-to block out the louder sounds. I have them as a handy ear protection for patrol use and in quick second can covert them to plug into my radio ear piece/wiring. I found the fitting comfortable and wore them for extended use during the anti-war protest-18 hrs.

mrtoyz
2 December 2009, 19:42
I have mixed feelings about mine. I like them because you can hear conversasions better than with traditional plugs and they do block out the blast. However, I've found that when shooting a rifle were my head is slightly turned to get a sight picture the "seal" is broken and they stop functioning. I have to push them in and get the seal again, but I feel like they are touching my brain... The size seams to be correct. Is what it is.

-T

spamsammich
4 December 2009, 23:20
I've been using mine almost exclusively at indoor ranges to see how I like them. I was less than impressed with them at first. Shooters next to me were still pretty loud, then I realized that while I could still feel the blast, my ears were nowhere near the painful point. Also, I could clearly hear what people were saying without the need to raise our voices. With the stoppers in, I found them to be quite good. For me the EP4 are comfortable enough to run for hours at a time.

I cannot use them indoors without the stoppers in if I shoot my AR. Outdoors, I am able to dispense with the stoppers with whatever I've shot so far, 9mm, 40, and 5.56. Haven't tried them with my -06 yet though.

Waveman
13 December 2009, 15:26
I use them. You can close the "hearing hole" with the attached plug which increases the noise reduction. I wear them under muffs indoors. Great for hunting or kept handy stowed in your go bag.

103m 95g
14 February 2010, 20:24
I picked up a pair of EP3 at S.H.O.T. and just ordered 2 pair of EP4's from brownells. As some of you know Mardi Gras is in full swing down here in New Orleans and it gets pretty loud on the route. Being LE I am assigned parade duties. I have been wearing the Ear pro while working my parade assignments, I am impressed. With the loud crowd, marching bands, and other related noise making devices, the ear pro really cut down the noise and I am still able to hear my radio through the shoulder mic. I have not had a chance to use them at our indoor range so I cannot comment on wearing them while shooting.

skd_tactical
17 February 2010, 16:32
The EP3's work great when you need loud noises to be a little quieter but you still need to be able hear things. Just my experience so far, but they are more of an "all around" earpro set when you can't wear over the ear hearing pro. I have used them while shooting, while conducting livefires, and even at a recent Dropkick Murphy's concert. They have worked perfectly for my intentions.

SOS

Stickman
17 February 2010, 16:51
The EP3's work great when you need loud noises to be a little quieter but you still need to be able hear things. Just my experience so far, but they are more of an "all around" earpro set when you can't wear over the ear hearing pro. I have used them while shooting, while conducting livefires, and even at a recent Dropkick Murphy's concert. They have worked perfectly for my intentions.

SOS

Do you guys carry those, or is there someone you can recommend?

skd_tactical
18 February 2010, 07:55
Stick,
Unfortunately we are out of stock. We are working on it ASAP.

SOS

Narco
20 February 2010, 13:18
Stickman, you need a set or two.. I'll send ya some up..

skd_tactical
22 February 2010, 12:58
EP3's are on order. I'll let you guys know when they come in stock.

SOS

Stickman
23 February 2010, 16:30
Stickman, you need a set or two.. I'll send ya some up..

Someone gave me a set awhile back, but thanks. I've been kicking around the idea of picking up some more just to have on hand.

Stickman
23 February 2010, 16:30
EP3's are on order. I'll let you guys know when they come in stock.

SOS

Cool, please do.

skd_tactical
4 March 2010, 15:52
Stick,
They are back in stock. BTW I love the posts you have up on Gearscout!

SOS

http://www.skdtac.com/SureFire_EarPro_EP3_Sonic_Defenders_p/sur.700.htm

GraphiteBrawler
9 March 2010, 05:48
Just as an FYI for our local LEO's, Last year the federal Govt. handed out 650 million in payments for LEO's with hearing damages.

Over 40% of officers will have their hearing detract sufficiently to require hearing aids.

However, only 10% of officers use "active" hearing protection on duty, instead of just at the range.

103m 95g
14 March 2010, 19:26
I used EP4's for a 3 day Magpul dynamic carbine I course,[adore]
I'm going to buy more and give them out to my deputies that are assigned to my squad.

Skintop911
16 March 2010, 15:18
I used EP4's for a 3 day Magpul dynamic carbine I course,[adore]
I'm going to buy more and give them out to my deputies that are assigned to my squad.

I gave out a bunch of them as Christmas gifts. A very useful stocking stuffer for the troops on shift.

Ryo
24 March 2010, 09:41
I've used them at the LWRC shoot at the Shot Show. I typically carry a pair in my TAD jacket. They work okay for me in the outdoors. I've also used them indoors and decided that I should wear some hearing protection over them (double protection).
My hearing is good so I might be more sensitive.

Comfortwise I could wear them for a few hours. They do eventually bug my ears, but it's not a major discomfort. I've never had them fail on me (seal breaking like one guy posted).

I have 2 sets, one on me, other in my bed stand. ;)

bt96
21 May 2012, 22:57
They work well. Before I used earpros in a real situations but we got Sordin Pro X muffs and now I use them because I can use comms with them.

AR-10
13 August 2012, 07:38
I was given a set of these, wore them twice while shooting rifles and pistols outdoors.

Both times, I was deaf in my right ear for about a day after.

As far as I know, they are the correct size for my ears and yes I had the tiny holes plugged up.

I think it had to do with my cheek weld affecting the seal in my right ear, I went back to my Peltors.

csmith
13 August 2012, 08:03
I think it had to do with my cheek weld affecting the seal in my right ear, I went back to my Peltors.

I had the same problem. I'll use surefires for pistol, but when I shoot rifle I double up because of that.