PDA

View Full Version : Magpul AFG Thoughts...

Sudslinger
2 December 2009, 17:12
Looks like a great idea. I'm sure its durable. It seems to make alot of sense. I hope they release a whole bunch of them. What say you? I know a couple of you have them already....

Paulo_Santos
2 December 2009, 18:18
I think it is going to depend on how you shoot. It isn't for everyone. If you shoot with your weak hand in the position that is shown, it will work well.

HeavyDuty
3 December 2009, 06:12
I would like to give one a try.

Oborous
3 December 2009, 07:27
I'm looking forward to this, I think it should do what it advertises to do. I was about to pull the trigger on the Knights handstop, but then all the really good modding started happening and so I backed off to see what the user-based development cycle came up with.

This makes me wonder what they're going to release at the SHOT show. I'm hoping a longer MOE foreend.

Just gotta see how the Department of State classifies these things.

Oborous

SilentType
3 December 2009, 13:29
The theory is that it will reduce support side fatigue and enhance manipulation of the rifle. I have also been told that this support grip helps return the rifle to zero faster by helping you manage muzzle rise more effectively.

I'd have to actually use one and use one for an extended period to either support or deny that it does both. The grip that is employed seems awkward to me though if you are using front flip-up BUS.

NOLACOPUSMC
4 December 2009, 06:54
It's not. It is basically the same as a support hand thumbs forward pistol grip, only you move the arm further up.

Unless you have massive thumbs, they do not interfere with normal sight plane on optics or flip ups.

Gator
4 December 2009, 15:54
Looks interesting. Id like to give it a try. Looks like a fit for my shooting style with my current TD stubby.

federalist22
4 December 2009, 17:40
Looks interesting. Id like to give it a try. Looks like a fit for my shooting style with my current TD stubby.

I wonder how many of use sport the TD stubby that look forward to the AFG....?

I do.

Mega
4 December 2009, 18:55
I would like to give one a try.

+1 [:)]

Shark
4 December 2009, 21:51
I wonder how many of use sport the TD stubby that look forward to the AFG....?

I do.

I was planning on getting the TD Stubby, but not anymore. The AFG is on my Wishlist along with the anticipated LR20 7.62x51 PMAGs. [:D]

federalist22
5 December 2009, 04:29
I was planning on getting the TD Stubby, but not anymore. The AFG is on my Wishlist along with the anticipated LR20 7.62x51 PMAGs. [:D]

Yeah, I want that new PMAG for my LR-308 24" stainless bull .

On the TD stubby, I use the ADM/TD model, but I bought it before the AFG was on the horizon. I get what I can when I can.

Army Chief
5 December 2009, 05:25
I think it is going to depend on how you shoot. It isn't for everyone. If you shoot with your weak hand in the position that is shown, it will work well.

I would certainly agree with this, though I might also add that if you don't already shoot with this particular weak hand position, the AFG might just be a useful tool in your retraining efforts as well.

Sometimes it is difficult to make a change until a new hardware development gives you a reason to try something new. This is something that we learned over time with the advent of the conventional VFG, which was quickly followed by the development of new techniques (i.e. alternate holds) that ultimately led to even more effective variants of the grips themselves. The name of the game -- and not just this forum -- truly is evolution, and if you stop to think about it, we've had to learn similar lessons over the years with respect to 1:1 optics/RDS solutions, sling configurations, rail systems and weapon lights.

I'm not suggesting that we let hardware drive the configuration (as opposed to the mission), but I am saying that, if you've had any inclination to give some of the new hold techniques a shot, the AFG may be just what the doctor ordered.

AC

federalist22
5 December 2009, 06:25
Before I got hooked on the Bobro and TD grips, I used to use a CAA folding 5-pos grip, not for the "grip", but for the reference point. The CAA 5-pos Grip (http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=31&cID=12) folded forward, backward, and posits in between. I used to keep that grip folded up against the rail, but it was not that comfortable and it had some play in the folding joint, hence why I went to the Bobro and TD (ADM) models. I want that AFG.

Paulo_Santos
5 December 2009, 09:14
I would certainly agree with this, though I might also add that if you don't already shoot with this particular weak hand position, the AFG might just be a useful tool in your retraining efforts as well.

Sometimes it is difficult to make a change until a new hardware development gives you a reason to try something new. This is something that we learned over time with the advent of the conventional VFG, which was quickly followed by the development of new techniques (i.e. alternate holds) that ultimately led to even more effective variants of the grips themselves. The name of the game -- and not just this forum -- truly is evolution, and if you stop to think about it, we've had to learn similar lessons over the years with respect to 1:1 optics/RDS solutions, sling configurations, rail systems and weapon lights.

I'm not suggesting that we let hardware drive the configuration (as opposed to the mission), but I am saying that, if you've had any inclination to give some of the new hold techniques a shot, the AFG may be just what the doctor ordered.

AC

I'm definitely willing to try new things as I pretty much always try every new toy that comes out. No matter what I have tried, I've always come back to the Grip Pod setp up with the alternate hold like below:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/100_6122.jpg

Army Chief
5 December 2009, 10:46
What I like about Paulo's response is simply this: it serve to underscore that there is no right way or wrong way -- there is simply what works for a given person, with a specific job to do, at a particular point in time. It takes hard work and repetitions to get to that point, of course, and all-too-often shooters have a tendency to hang whatever is making a ripple in the market without much regard for the associated software requirements.

Experimentation is good. Knowing that you've found a recipe that will consistently work for your applications is far, far better.

... even if it includes Grip Pods. =]

AC

Paulo_Santos
5 December 2009, 12:39
This is AC's set-up. [BD][:D]:P
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/picb.jpg

This is AC in Basic Training. He's lost a lot of weight now. [BD][:D]:P
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/pica.jpg

Army Chief
5 December 2009, 13:49
No way I looked that cool in Basic. =]

AC

Sudslinger
5 December 2009, 14:04
Paul, Chief, great points. I think it is really positive to see new techniques and the evolution of weapon manipulation in regard to the ar15. Having more choices and options is never a bad idea. Having this competition between manufacturers is great. It gives every single shooter the option to find what truly works for them.