PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 Forum

ScatterShot
2 December 2009, 18:49
Hey guys, I'm really new here and frankly only because of m24's excellent product review of the Mossberg 930 SPX which I have recently purchased. However I have not had much luck in finding a general Q/A thread on this gun and would like to either start one or be re-directed to something I've missed.

So for starters, I would like to install a barrel/tube clamp such as the Nordic set-up. However I do not know for sure whether this will fit a stock Mossberg SPX tube extension which is 1.000" diameter (and marked Choate Tool Co). Does anyone have a Nordic extension tube they could measure with some calipers or micrometer?

It does not appear that the Nordic clamp is manufacturer specific so I am left to wonder whether all manufacturers use the same Centerline-to-Centerline dimension between the barrel and extension tube.

Doing a little math on the Mossberg, I get the CL-CL dimension to be 1.170". (Barrel OD = .860, tube OD = 1.000, outside barrel-outside tube = 2.100.) Can anyone confirm the 1.170 for say the Remington 870 or other model. Just curious as well as ignorant.

TIA, and if we can solve this little mystery, I have a few more to feed the thread. [:D]

m24shooter
2 December 2009, 19:38
Shot:
Glad you found the review helpful.
As for a board dedicated to the SPX here, I think that might be a little outside the norm and too specialized. However, you may want to check out the HD/Tactical Board at http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=7. Lots of 930 SPX shooters and topics over there.
As for the clamp, I know it has been used on a variety of shotguns. I don't think there is a standard barrel/mag tube spacing. I do believe that there are some variances as there are some mag tube clamps that are manufacturer specific.
I've used the Nordic clamp on the S&J Hardware extension and the Nordic extension. The Nordic extension OD is 1.07" and the Choate unit is right at 1.0" OD.

ScatterShot
4 December 2009, 12:18
Shot:
Glad you found the review helpful.
As for a board dedicated to the SPX here, I think that might be a little outside the norm and too specialized. However, you may want to check out the HD/Tactical Board at http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=7. Lots of 930 SPX shooters and topics over there.
As for the clamp, I know it has been used on a variety of shotguns. I don't think there is a standard barrel/mag tube spacing. I do believe that there are some variances as there are some mag tube clamps that are manufacturer specific.
I've used the Nordic clamp on the S&J Hardware extension and the Nordic extension. The Nordic extension OD is 1.07" and the Choate unit is right at 1.0" OD.

Thanks, m24. I posed the following question to candewman@candewman.com

"Will the BMT fit a 930 SPX? The barrel OD is .860", tube OD is 1.000" and measuring from top of barrel to bottom of tube gives 2.100" for a calculated CL-CL of 1.170"."

and got the following prompt reply:

"Hi John.

Unfortunately the CL of the clamps is 1.214 so the web between would be too fat for the 930 SPX. There will be one out early next year that should work for you.

Scott"

So I think I'll wait to see what they come up with. Seems to me it's an obviously needed product and am looking forward to trying it out. I like the looks of the BMT more than the Nordic. Forgot to ask him about MOD-C clamps on the 930. http://candewman.com/clamps.html

Otony
14 January 2010, 19:21
S&J Hardware has recently begun manufature of a bayonet lug to fit their very nice mag tube extension. I have one ordered that should be here within a week or so.

While I realize you are asking about a clamp and not a bayo lug per se, the S&J part does work in conjuction with the S&J tube as such. Whether or not it fits the Choate tube is another question but frankly I am of the opinion that the quality of the S&J is light years ahead of the Choate part. The price is, of course, a fair amount higher as well but that old adage you get what you pay for seems to come to mind strongly here.

For what it is worth, I will post a few pics (with help?) of the 930 lug set-up wearing a bayonet along with a user review. IMy intention when I ordered it was mostly for a strong mag tube extension (and grins [:D] ) at 3-gun matches but I rather imagine a bayonet is a useful item should I ever be involved in trench warfare. [:D]

Otony

ScatterShot
14 January 2010, 20:50
S&J Hardware has recently begun manufature of a bayonet lug to fit their very nice mag tube extension. I have one ordered that should be here within a week or so.

While I realize you are asking about a clamp and not a bayo lug per se, the S&J part does work in conjuction with the S&J tube as such. Whether or not it fits the Choate tube is another question but frankly I am of the opinion that the quality of the S&J is light years ahead of the Choate part. The price is, of course, a fair amount higher as well but that old adage you get what you pay for seems to come to mind strongly here.

For what it is worth, I will post a few pics (with help?) of the 930 lug set-up wearing a bayonet along with a user review. IMy intention when I ordered it was mostly for a strong mag tube extension (and grins [:D] ) at 3-gun matches but I rather imagine a bayonet is a useful item should I ever be involved in trench warfare. [:D]

Otony

Thanks, Otony, that's a good looking piece: http://sjhardware.com/OLS/default/sjhardware/mossberg-930-bayo-mounting-kit.html

I especially like the bayonet they used in the illustration: http://sjhardware.com/OLS/default/catalog/product/gallery/id/281/image/594/

Too bad the price doesn't get you the knife, too