PDA

View Full Version : Barrel cut down

newblood
3 December 2009, 16:04
I'm still a little new at the AR platform so here we go. First question, would you trust a barrel that has been shortned?
Second (If answer to first is no then disregard 2) is it possible to have a middy 16.1 cut to a 12.5"? I think I saw that LWRC was offering one like this.

So be gentle with me. What say ye WEVO?

Quib
3 December 2009, 16:16
I would contact ADCO and ask them. You'll find the link to their site on the right side of the page.

chem_guy
3 December 2009, 16:19
Newblood,
I am no expert, but the question that popped into my head with your first question was "how was the barrel shortened?" As for question two, there are concerns about properly "gassing the operating system" which basically means the gas port needs to be a certain distance from the muzzle for the rifle to function properly or optimally.

However, there are folks here that are much more experienced in the esoterica of barrel lengths and gas port positions.

Paulo_Santos
3 December 2009, 16:28
I've had a couple of barrels cut down from 16" to 14" and had no issues. But since your 16" barrel has the midlength gas system, the shortest I would cut it is 14.5". I'd send a message to Dave@adcofirearms.com and see if he recommends cutting it that short.

newblood
3 December 2009, 17:17
Thank you for the response. These were the thoughts that were rolling around in my head. If I have it cut down I was going to enlist Addco because I have looked into it and they seem to have a great reputation and I'm sold on them doing the work. The barrel in question is a Centurion. I will shoot them an email and see what they have to say. I think I might just end up with a Noveske 12.5. I just want to insure that it will be reliable.