PDA

View Full Version : highly polished

clayart
9 December 2009, 11:35
Is there any benefit to polishing the feed ramps on my new build? I actually heard that from somewhere but I can't remember where. I have not actually shot it yet but when I put in a clip and pull back the charge handle it does fine. But when I eject a couple of rounds about every third one does not load correctly. I can see where it looks like the bullet actually gets caught on the feed ramps. now to fix it I just have to pull back and let the bolt slam forward one more time. I can only imagine this is going to be a problem when I actually go shoot. I have a BCM BCG and am using pmags.

Optimus Prime
9 December 2009, 12:38
Smoother feed ramps = less friction, so it should be smoother feeding. It's definitely more common on auto-loading pistols.

rebelEMPIRE
9 December 2009, 13:18
When you let go of the charging handle as you rack, do you let go completely or do you sort of ride it forward? The speed at which a new round loads into the chamber is also a critical part in the system.

It doesn't hurt to polish your feed ramps, although it isn't necessary either--primarily because it will break in on its own with usage. What I find more important is to remove any rough edges or burrs within the chamber. This can be done with fine abrasive paper. Just make sure you clean out the debris thoroughly after you're finished.

It's possible your chamber is out of spec (rarely is). You can verify with a go-no-go tool.

If you have pictures you can upload, it would help us diagnose your problem much better.

-rebelEMPIRE

clayart
9 December 2009, 13:22
absolutely...I will get some pictures this evening so be sure to check back. When I pull it back I am just letting it slam forward. Once it hangs up I just pull it all the way back again and let it go and it closes. So it is not so much a true jam I guess becaue it will go. It doesn't get so binded that I can't get it out or have trouble getting it out. It will actually load....just sometimes have to pull it back a couple times. Let me get the pictures up so you can see. Thanks guys!

Quib
9 December 2009, 15:07
Don’t alter anything.

If this is a new, never before fired weapon, take it out and shoot it. Observe how the weapon cycles on its own. Don’t judge reliability or function solely off hand cycling via the charging handle.

If you are still having problems after the 1st range session, then come back here and we can attempt to troubleshoot the problem.

Lastrites
9 December 2009, 16:18
Take care in cycling the same ammo over and over as you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of a slam fire. Due to primers be hit over and over by the AR's floating pin. Murphy and his law is usually never nice.

Eric
9 December 2009, 21:39
Don’t alter anything.
Agreed. Live fire is the only way to really determine how your carbine will run. In the event that you do have issues and you have attacked it with a Dremel, good luck getting it replaced under warranty.

clayart
10 December 2009, 10:36
understood,...I plan on shooting this weekend. I hope it turns out well. I got good ammo and lots of gun lube....sounds like a great weekend [:D]

will let ya'll know what happens. no mods have been done yet. I took pics but did not post because i want to see what happens first. Thanks everyone.

clayart
26 December 2009, 22:31
got a chance to shoot my new build over the last week. It did incredible. It wanted to act up right at first but by the second, third, fourth, etc...clip, it did great!

Quib
26 December 2009, 23:27
Outstanding. [:)]

rebelEMPIRE
27 December 2009, 03:11
That's great to hear. Does it still cycle normally by hand? If so, I wonder what changed.

-rebelEMPIRE

Quib
27 December 2009, 03:27
That's great to hear. Does it still cycle normally by hand? If so, I wonder what changed.

-rebelEMPIRE

Parts wear into each other, tolerances loosen up......

And you just can’t fully replicate an actual weapon cycling while firing, when cycling it by hand. Especially a weapon that is new, where tolerances are tight, and newly finished parts are in contact with each other.....most likely lacking proper lubrication, which is even more critical during break-in.

Clayart,

If your weapon is still occasionally exhibiting feeding problems, you might want to take a look at the adjustment of the mag catch. Too tight, and it could hold the mag at an angle which hinders proper feeding.

A good base to start at when it comes to mag catch adjustment, is to thread the catch into the mag release button so that the threaded shaft of the mag catch, comes flush with the end of the threads within the release button.

If you feel the need to make this adjustment, and these instructions are not quite clear, I have a diagram that may help with further clarification.