PDA

View Full Version : free float?

Creeky73
12 December 2009, 15:22
So I know that free floating the barrel removes any pressure that might exist from the handguard, slings, or any other devices which may be making contact with the barrel, which should improve accuracy. My question is, will the average person really see this improvement? If you are not shooting competitively, or planning on using the gun for anything further out than about 200 yards (and even that might be a stretch for me) is there any point in spending the money to buy and install a free float handguard? I realize that you can also hang a whole bunch of stuff off them, but the only things I plan on putting on mine is a vfg and a flashlight, and there are other options for mounting those. Any thoughts?

Paulo_Santos
12 December 2009, 16:11
If that is all you are adding, you are fine. If you plan on using a bipod, then free floating it makes sense.

Optimus Prime
12 December 2009, 17:58
The VFG will put even more force on the barrel (more torque) than not using one if you're not using a FF tube.
I have noticed improved accuracy even at relatively shorter ranges with a FF compared to a standard handguard setup, but no more than 1moa really. It depends on what you plan on using the rifle for as far as how important it is for you.

rebelEMPIRE
12 December 2009, 22:47
Personally, I prefer the freefloat for reasons other than accuracy. There's something very reassuring when your weapon is highly modular; being able to quickly adapt and reconfigure is something I desire greatly. Additionally, I prefer to have a flip-up BUIS to get the front sight post out of my field of view when looking through the optic.

It's strange though--whenever I pick up a 100% unmodified M4, I really like it a lot, too. So, honestly, I like both systems. It depends on what I want to do with it that dictates which rifle setup I utilize.

If you find that you need, or even just want, a free float system, then I say go for it. If you just want rails to mount things on, then get some drop in rails. And if you like your M4 just the way it is, then keep it like that. There's no need to follow others if you're completely happy with what you have. But it doesn't hurt to experiment to find what else might make you more efficient.

-rebelEMPIRE

Eric
13 December 2009, 07:58
It will certainly be dependent on your particular application, but I think that most folks are going to realize minimal improvements. If shooting match ammo from a prone position or bench, the accuracy gain should be observable. The rail can make mounting a light and VFG easier, but there are other options. I'm not much of a fan on mounting the VFG on a rail section affixed to the handguards, but it can be done.

Creeky73
13 December 2009, 11:26
the other option I have been specifically looking at is the Magpul MOE handguard, which allows for rails to be attached. I am a bit surprised to hear that the vfg puts additional pressure on the barrel, I would have thought that, since you would have to have your hand on the handguard anyway if you didn't have a vfg, that the pressure would be about the same. I know some people have mentioned that they don't care for the MOE for mounting a light on, as carbines are too short to get the light appropriately forward for tactical situations. I am not necessarily trying to make my rifle tactically perfect, if there is such a thing, so this isn't such a concern for me.

Optimus Prime
13 December 2009, 14:28
The VFG is like the handle on a ratchet, and the handguard is the socket. However, like it's been said, the effect isn't anywhere near that extreme under normal use.
I've seen nothing but good stuff about the MOAs. If I had a carbine length setup I'd consider it. There is a light mount that clamps on to the front sight triangle and puts the light at 6 o'clock and forward of the handguard as well that looks pretty good with the MOA.

lmtrocks
24 December 2009, 09:40
Be careful about adding things to the FSB because you are putting weight toward the muzzle. No matter how light an accessory is, gravity still works on it. The further out something is the more force it exacts upon the barrel. Just get a Daniel Defense Omega X handguard from Bravo right now for $179 and that'll give you "rail" estate you're looking for to mount a light and it's a freefloat.

SDDuc996
24 December 2009, 19:44
Why not do it? Every little bit helps. Depending on the application, you really might need that accuracy when it matters. I also hate the feeling of the rails moving around with the slightest pressure. It feels cheap and unreliable.
Last year I deployed with an LMT 10" upper w/ PWS piston mod (Thanks Todd) and DD FSP rail. Not only did it look awesome, it shot well and felt solid as hell! I had an Atpial mounted and never had to worry about POA/POI shift. FF is definitely worth it in my opinion.

jmart
28 December 2009, 08:09
Free float has secondary benefit of serving as heat sink, pulling heat away from barrel nut. As a result, free floats will get hot so you'll need to factor in rail covers as well.

I'd look at what accessories you are looking to add, if just a sling and white light there are options for mounting small bolt-on rail sections to compositie HGs, for various sling mounts for the FSB (GGG, Ned Christiansen's loop, etc.). Also, you'll need to determine where you want your front sling attachment, if you want it around the delta ring, then rails simplify that setup but if you are OK with mounting at front of HGs/FSB, then simpler options exist.

If VFG is in picture I'd think you'd need the sturdiness of a rail. I don't believe the bolt-on rail sections would hold up to the torque.

If using any laser illuminator, a solid rail is a must.