PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safes?

jeeves915
13 December 2009, 17:18
Hey guys:
My dad is in the market for a new gun safe, and has asked me to look into it. This is SlIGHTLY outside of my lane. He wants a large one (40+ long guns), and of course, a good one. It also needs to be fire safe.

Any recommendations for brands/dealers I should look into? I had directed him initially to look into Liberty's FatBoy line, but wanted to get all of your opinions on the matter.
Thanks!
-Adam

reiswigt
13 December 2009, 17:54
If quality is the first consideration and price is second: http://www.graffundersafes.com/

federalist22
13 December 2009, 18:38
I have a Fort Knox and I love it--get it in any size, config, color, you want. http://www.ftknox.com/ -- call your local sales rep and get a quote.

Custom-X_Sponjah
13 December 2009, 20:12
Two words of advise.
1) Buy one larger than you think you need.
My 36 gun was good a year ago, now I need to buy a second safe.....
2) Make sure it has an electronic key pad.
I laugh watching my buddy fumble with the dial every time he goes into his safe.

I have a Centurion by Liberty Safes.
Bought it a week late though, had 3 guns stolen out of my closet.
That was the reason for buying the safe.
Don't let that be your deciding factor.

CXS

federalist22
14 December 2009, 02:43
Two words of advise.
1) Buy one larger than you think you need.
My 36 gun was good a year ago, now I need to buy a second safe.....
2) Make sure it has an electronic key pad.CXS

On #1, yes, yes, yes. Make sure you get one bigger than you need. AR rifles take up the space of 3 rifles (rifle, optic, and grip), and scoped rifles (long guns) take up the space of two.

On #2, there are two lines of thought here. First, electronic for ease. Second, a dial for reliability. I have been turning government safe dials for the last 12 years and I can have my safe open in seconds--that said, if you have to open your safe to protect yourself then you are too late anyway, so keep your home defense firearm hidden in a special place outside the safe. On the keypad versus dial debate, dials are more expensive, if cost is a factor, and the batteries run out faster than a dial gets out of tune. My safe dealer (I am located near DC) never got the question before 9/11, but since then it comes up in over 70% of his sales, and that's, "Will my dial work if there is an EMP?" The answer would be NO, it won't. Not that this is a common scenario, but if you experienced an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) from a nuclear, or a dirty bomb attack on the city you live near, putting you in range of the effects, you will not be able to access your firearms when you will need them most if you go with the electronic keypad.

Also, if you go with Fort Knox, get the external hinges so the door swings wide. Cutting the hinges off will take a while and it does not increase ease for entry, so get the external hinges for convenience.

aceat64
14 December 2009, 11:48
My safe dealer (I am located near DC) never got the question before 9/11, but since then it comes up in over 70% of his sales, and that's, "Will my dial work if there is an EMP?" The answer would be NO, it won't. Not that this is a common scenario, but if you experienced an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) from a nuclear, or a dirty bomb attack on the city you live near, putting you in range of the effects, you will not be able to access your firearms when you will need them most if you go with the electronic keypad.

Just an fyi, from what I've researched on EMPs (I have a lot of free time lately) the only realistic current method of generating an EMP is a high altitude nuke, since the EMP is an effect generated by the blast interacting with the magnetosphere.

That said, I plan on getting a safe with a dial rather then the keypad, because I want something reliable and I don't really trust the electronic locks because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Q3aDy-BUc

federalist22
14 December 2009, 14:09
Just an fyi, from what I've researched on EMPs (I have a lot of free time lately) the only realistic current method of generating an EMP is a high altitude nuke, since the EMP is an effect generated by the blast interacting with the magnetosphere.

That said, and I stand corrected, it's still reason enough to go with the dial.

Shooter
26 January 2010, 20:47
Saw this setup at SHOT. It's a nice concept. The safe is round and has a powered rotary shelf. Just open the door and hit the button until the rifle you need shows up...

http://www.pendletonsafes.com/

Dutch
26 January 2010, 21:13
I went with one safe many years ago and bought a second a few years back. I went with a dial on both and same combo. To move either safe is going to be almost impossible, unless you want to drop it thorugh the foor and that is not going to help any. BIG SAFE with DIAL S&G locks are the industry standard for one reason....they do exactly what they are supposed to every time.

Go small and you will go again.

Dutch

federalist22
27 January 2010, 15:50
Dutch,

Good points and words to live by.

The government also uses S&G locks on many of its safes (I work for DoD and see them a lot). I have an S&G dial on on 36-gun Fort Knox (930+ lbs. when empty).

Electronics (dial or rotary shelves) means too many moving parts, which spells maintenance and problems later.

agc
31 January 2010, 04:28
One of the best gun safes on the market is the Original platinum vault that is the only gun safe I know that has a UL rating of TL30X6. If you were a diamond dealer that safe would allow you to insure up to $1,000,000.

A possible down side for some is they weigh a few thousand pounds empty. The prices are actually quite reasonable.

Here is a URL http://www.lackasafe.com/products/gun-safes/tl30x6-gun-safes-high-security-platinum-vault-original