PDA

View Full Version : Quick range report - M&P15T w/ 14x mil-dot scope

Deaj
29 December 2009, 15:38
Hello all,

I haven't been to the range for a while due to an injury. My son received a new stainless steel Ruger 10/22 w/ polymer stock for Christmas. We decided to take a trip to the range today to get his iron sights dialed in. I recently bought another Primary Arms scope for my Smith & Wesson M&P15T (4.5-14X illuminated Mil-dot on a quick mount) and hadn't yet taken it to the range to dial it in so we brought it and 60 rounds of 55gr .223 ammo.

The 10/22 was on the money right out of the box - nice! We spent 75 or so rounds shooting at 25 and 50 yards - it's every bit as much fun as my old 10/22 was. Should bring him many years of enjoyable, trouble free shooting. I have a Primary Arms 1.5-4X scope I'd been using on my M&P15T - no longer needed with the 14X scope. I have a set of 1" see-through rings (to leave the iron sights visible) on the way so we can mount the 1.5-4X scope on my sons 10/22.

When I started with the 4.5-14x scope it wasnt even on the paper. I placed on shot to each corner and found that it was more than 8" high and to the right. I dialed it in closer to the center and then walked it in to the bullseye 3 rounds at a time. Once I had it sighted in properly I loosened the quick mount, removed the scope, and then remounted it. It held zero. I repeated this after we shot another 20 rounds - held zero.

Here's my last group of the day: 5 rounds at 100 yards, bench rested on Harris bipod, scope set to 14X - group is 5/8" in size.

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/PA14X-5rdGroup.jpg

I couldn't be happier with the M&P15T! I have about 1,000 rounds through it now and, as expected, it has run flawlessly from the first round. It has also proven to be very accurate, capable of sub MOA accuracy when I am.

I'm also exceedingly pleased with the Primary Arms optics! I have four different sights from them now: the 1.5-4X scope (soon to be mounted on my sons Ruger 10/22), the 4.5-14X Mil-dot scope, a M4 style 2MOA red dot (these two for the M&P15T), and an Aimpoint Micro style 4MOA red dot for my Browning Buckmark pistol. All are said to be weapons grade optics, nitrogen purged, coated glass, nie specs all around. All of them have performed flawlessly to date, the first three have proven to hold zero when removed and remounted. All of them were $150 or less shipped with mounts. What's not to like!

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/PA14X-02.jpg

Eric
30 December 2009, 18:33
Nice blaster. Proof that chrome-lined barrels can shoot.