PDA

View Full Version : automatic receivers

marko
30 December 2009, 00:01
Planning my second build and was curious if I could use a receiver that was marked with the "SAFE/FIRE/AUTO". I'm not planning on making a automatic rifle, just would like the look.

Army Chief
30 December 2009, 04:42
There are no relevant restrictions on selector markings, so yes -- this can be done. In the eyes of the law, the receiver isn't truly a machinegun receiver unless it is actually drilled for the auto sear.

Of course, a word of warning is probably in order here too, since "the look" you're after may mark you as a poseur in the eyes of some, and it will surely invite questions from others. Self-appointed do-gooders will likely harrass you for NFA paperwork, while average Joes at the range will inevitably ask why your rifle is marked for full auto when it isn't a full auto. While I see no real harm in this, I really wouldn't feel like dealing with the hassles, either.

To each his own, but I would definitely pass on an AUTO-marked semi receiver.

AC

HeavyDuty
30 December 2009, 05:42
Here in IL a Safe-Semi-Auto attracts w-a-y too much LE attention. I wouldn't have one.

Eric
30 December 2009, 18:28
While interesting and not specifically restricted, for me it would accomplish nothing and increase the likelihood of negative issues.

Stickman
31 December 2009, 11:41
Planning my second build and was curious if I could use a receiver that was marked with the "SAFE/FIRE/AUTO". I'm not planning on making a automatic rifle, just would like the look.

You certainly can, there are plenty of them available, and it certainly gets more attention from people.

HeavyDuty
31 December 2009, 12:09
I'd be willing to overcome my resistance to SFA markings if I could find one of those "pirate" lowers that are marked "Parley/Aaargh!/Plunder" or the original smartass ones marked "Safe/Semi/Hide the Dog". [:D]

marko
1 January 2010, 00:58
Lots of good points and all will be taken into consideration (Poser or not, I still think it would be cool).

SDDuc996
1 January 2010, 01:11
If that's what you want, do so. As long as you're not drilling for an auto sear, and following ATF regs, who cares. Just keep in mind it will draw attention. I personally prefer to be discreet, but if you don't mind the questions then have at it.

Regardless, if I remember correctly the only authority that can officially ask to see your Tax Stamp is an ATF agent. All others would be shown merely out of courtesy.

titus7
23 March 2010, 14:22
So a POF 416 lower is completely legal to own as long as you dont have the full auto LPK??

5pins
23 March 2010, 14:29
So a POF 416 lower is completely legal to own as long as you dont have the full auto LPK??

No, it can’t be capable of having full auto parts installed.

titus7
23 March 2010, 14:42
so what is needed to accept a FA parts kit??

5pins
23 March 2010, 18:24
A hole needs to be drilled for the auto sear. Some machining may need to be done inside depending on the manufacture of the lower.

Stickman
23 March 2010, 23:47
so what is needed to accept a FA parts kit??

A lot of federal paperwork.

Ryo
24 March 2010, 00:51
A lot of federal paperwork.

That's also assuming that it's legal to own in the state your in.