PDA

View Full Version : Magpul CTR commercial stock question???

DK9mm
30 December 2009, 18:52
I noticed that the info on this stock says M4/carbine.

Does this mean it should only be used on carbine length AR's or can it used with a midlength system? :confused:

Thank you for your input.

alt154shiver
30 December 2009, 18:59
Unless I'm WAY off, they are referring to the receiver extension (buffer tube) not the gas system. The CTR is meant for carbine length extensions and will not work with a rifle length extension.

Your gas system, however, will effect the buffer that you use.

Paulo_Santos
30 December 2009, 19:16
It is referring to the buffer tube. Commercial and Mil-Spec

DK9mm
30 December 2009, 19:25
So can I use this with my midlength RRA upper?

Paulo_Santos
30 December 2009, 19:29
Yes, as long as the RRA uses commercial buffer tubes, which I'm sure they do.

DK9mm
30 December 2009, 19:32
Yes, as long as the RRA uses commercial buffer tubes, which I'm sure they do.

How/where can I confirm this?

Optimus Prime
30 December 2009, 20:07
I have a mil-spec CTR on my last build, with a Del-ton middy upper. So long as you have a carbine buffer and tube you should be fine.

DK9mm
30 December 2009, 20:17
I purchased my RRA middy upper seperate from everything else. I purchased the Magpul CTR commercial stock kit. Does this come with a carbine buffer and tube?

Their site doesnt provide much info.......

Paulo_Santos
30 December 2009, 20:32
What lower do you have? What stock do you currently have on your AR? Usually when you buy the CTR, you usually only get the stock with no buffer tube.

DK9mm
30 December 2009, 20:40
I have a C3 Defense billet lower with intergral trigger guard.

First and only stock - Magpul CTR commercial kit ( with tube, spring and buffer )

Am I understanding that rifle length does not matter as long as stock and tube match? ( mil-spec vs. comm )

What lower do you have? What stock do you currently have on your AR? Usually when you buy the CTR, you usually only get the stock with no buffer tube.

Paulo_Santos
30 December 2009, 21:56
Am I understanding that rifle length does not matter as long as stock and tube match? ( mil-spec vs. comm )

Correct, the length of the gas system is irrelivant.

DK9mm
30 December 2009, 22:17
Thanks everyone for your input and information.

Have a safe New Years!

[:)]

Eric
30 December 2009, 23:35
Magpul has a nice tech bulletin HERE (http://magpul.com/pdfs/technotes/ctr/buffertubeid.pdf), which covers the specs of the two types of receiver extensions.

federalist22
31 December 2009, 02:31
Two things: first, look at the back of the tube and determine if it is slanted (angled) across the back from top to bottom (ever so slightly), or if it is flat--flat is mil-spec, slanted is commercial. Second, take out a measuring tape and measure across the width of the back of the tube. Your measuring tape will not be fine enough to give you the markings you are looking for, but you can do some math with the fractions you get and be close enough to determine the difference between 1.14 and 1.17 inches using a calculator to convert the fractions to decimal. I'll be you have a commercial tube. One way to find out is by installing the stock on the tube. If you have a commercial stock it will fit a mil-spec tube pretty loosely. If you have a mil-spec stock it will fit a commercial tube way too snugly--almost not fitting at all unless you use force--BAD.

DK9mm
31 December 2009, 21:13
I found out that I have a commercial set up. It is a little loose with the friction lock on so I e-mailed Magpul about it and the sugested that it may be that the tube is slightly out of spec. Its not really loose but a little more than I would like.

Any way to remedy this without changing out the tube? Shims etc?

federalist22
1 January 2010, 07:12
So, you checked the tube and it's commercial--slanted back end and diameter.

Your CTR is loose on the tube, so we are pretty sure you have the commercial CTR too, so commercial/commercial on the whole setup--good.

Even though they say the CTR locks tight (same for their milspec ACS), there is undoubtedly going to be a minute amount of wiggle. That's my experience. When I shake my rifle, the only things that make noise are the ACS and sling swivels.