PDA

View Full Version : SI Defense upper came today...

Flatlander.54
30 December 2009, 21:06
I ordered one of SI Defenses' stripped uppers on the 17th. To make a long story short, the upper never got shipped so they contacted me after me e-mailing them several times and told me I would get the upper and a full refund on the price AND shipping charges.
While I commend their willingness to make good on the problem, I have to say I will not deal with them again. The upper I received today has several scratches and handling marks on both sides, the threads are dinged up but I think will still work, and the hole in the rear takedown lug is actually oblong.
If it werent for the fact that they are reimbursing me for cost and shipping it would go back. Anyone else have an experience like this with SI?

Slippers
31 December 2009, 00:30
Just FYI, the hole in the rear take down lug is supposed to be oblong. This allows it to account for any tolerance stacking in the lower, in case the spacing between the two take down pins is not exactly the same as with the upper.

Flatlander.54
31 December 2009, 03:22
The hole in my DPMS upper is round. No printed info I have read anywhere indicates that the take down pin lug hole is oblong so I was curious about that, thanks for the info.

Stickman
31 December 2009, 11:37
You got it for free...?

Flatlander.54
31 December 2009, 21:07
Yes, when I ordered it I paid for 3 day shipping. Got order confirmation e-mail, and two e-mails saying it had shipped...but it never arrived. I contacted them by e-mail and they said it had not shipped out afterall, and I would recieve the item for free and be reimbursed the shipping cost also.
Finally, two weeks later I get it, and it looks like it was kicked around on the floor before shipping. The money was credited to my account, so yes I got it for free, but, due to the condition of the upper, I will not give them anymore business in the future. I dont care if they send a whole crate of free stuff. Theres no way in hell that upper would have been passed to ship out by any QC person who gave half a rats butt looking the way it does. To me that just shows how poor their quality control is.
Im sure there are those that will say...but you got it for free...ok, so I did, but you would think a company trying to make a good name for itself wouldnt send out products that look like something from a used gun rack in a gun shop.

Stickman
31 December 2009, 22:28
It sounds to me like they made it right by giving you one and refunding your money. I'm interested in seeing the pictures of what the upper looks like. Its hard to make a call without that part.

Flatlander.54
1 January 2010, 11:22
Yes, I agree that they did try to make the situation right, and I commend them for the length that they went to in order to do so. But, I dont think that makes it ok for them to send me a product that looks like a second hand item. Im sorry, but it just speaks poorly of their QC.
I decided to just keep it rather than deal with the aggravation anymore. Although there is damage to the threads, I dont believe its anything that will affect future assembly so I just touched the whole thing up with black Krylon and considered it a lesson learned.
I didnt ask or demand to get the item for free, I was still willing to pay for what I ordered. But, if I HAD paid for the item it most certainly would have went back due to the condition upon arrival.