PDA

View Full Version : Army Regulations pertinaing to the M16 platform

alt154shiver
3 January 2010, 00:57
I've noticed there are a lot of current and/or former army personnel around these parts, and this is the closest forum I figured this would fall into.

As I have been issued a US Army property firearm, I was wondering what regs I can refer to in regards to what can be done with it. As far as the Navy is concerned, they don't even like letting us deviate from the issued sling. From what I have observed, the army deviates from this hard and fast doctrine, but I'd like to know in black and white just how far one can go and what back and white I can refer my chain of command to in order to stay in accordance with the regs.

Removal of handguards is a 10 level task, but what about replacing them with another NSN numbered 10 level piece of equipment such as drop in rails? How about adding a flashlight? VFGs?

I know that commanders discretion comes into play with a lot of these decisions. My previous active duty command was a little more flexible with gear, and I know that depending on command climate and a lot of other factors the areas where one will encounter an anal retentive nature for regulations can vary greatly. I'd just like to know where I stand, and what regs I can use to back me up.

-alt

SDDuc996
3 January 2010, 01:10
If available, I'd check with someone else in your group that has already done the same. It's definitely going to vary unit by unit. There's a guy here (a FOB in Afghanistan) that bought and installed an 18" Stealth Tactical LaRue upper and mounted it to his M4 lower.

If you ask your chain, I have a feeling they would err on the side of covering their own ass and prevent you from doing ANY mod, legal or not.

As it stands, officially you CANNOT fire militray issue ammo through a civilian gun. However, on my last two deployments I deployed with a Mike Rock 7.5", and an LMT 10" w/PWS conversion. As long as I didn't flaunt it, no one cared.

Maybe not the answer you were looking for but hey, I don't know Army regs for squat. I'm Navy.

Quib
3 January 2010, 01:12
This might help.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2718/4240303754_b9231106e2_o.png

Army Chief
3 January 2010, 06:02
I understand your rationale and purpose in asking, but would caution against taking any shortcuts here. Installing a component and presuming it is OK because the chain of command "saw it and didn't say anything" is a sure recipe for trouble. I'm not suggesting that this is (or was) your plan, but I've been a Soldier long enough to know how such things work.

As a minimum, you need to clear two significant hurdles here: (1) make sure that whatever you're seeking to add has a valid NSN, since this implies type-standardization and official approval, and (2) be up front about this with your commander, and get his buy-in, since he is ultimately responsible for both the weapon in question and the person operating it.

As stated, if a particular rail or light has a National Stock Number, then at least you can point out that the component has been accepted for use somewhere within DoD. Granted, the ORARNG (or wherever) isn't going to have the same equipment needs as SEAL Team 6, but if you can clearly state the need and show that your proposed solution meets a basic adoption standard, you will be more likely to get some kind of conditional approval.

There are still issues associated with hanging personal gear on a government issue weapon, but again, these are less likely to be problematic if the part or component is something that can be had through the supply system. I would probably take my cues from the part classification itself. If a light, VFG or a sling is considered an "expendable" non-durable end item, then it probably isn't going to be a big deal to install one of your own. If it is a durable, accountable, major end item or requires intermediate level maintenance support to install (like many rail systems), then you're asking for trouble.

Finally, you need to take a sounding within your unit to see who, if anyone, supports making these kinds of changes. Have others done this? To what extent? The last thing you want is to become known as the toolbag that is rigging his battlestick like a Special Forces assaulter in combat when in fact you may be a clerk typist or somesuch in the rear. Go too far, and the training implications alone would likely be a show stopper.

There is one other thing to consider here: if you can build a concensus of your peers, demonstate the need/advantage of a particular piece of kit, and gain the support of your superiors, you can often solve your problem entirely by getting unit authorization to field the item at government expense. Then everybody gets one, and to borrow a line from an old Johnny Cash tune, "it didn't cost [you] a dime ..."

AC

Army Chief
3 January 2010, 06:30
... on my last two deployments I deployed with a Mike Rock 7.5", and an LMT 10" w/PWS conversion. As long as I didn't flaunt it, no one cared.

Not passing judgment on your situation, but in the interest of clarity, it should probably be pointed out that taking an otherwise-restricted upper receiver into a combat zone is a dicey proposition at best, and not something that I would encourage any U.S. Army Soldier to do. You can't legally install such an upper on a Government Issued weapon, and you can't take your own SBR lower outside of the country without commiting a half-dozen separate felonies, so I'm kind of at a loss to figure out what exactly would be the point of doing this.

I can't speak to USN policies, but in the conventional forces, Soldiers are not permitted to bring Privately Owned Weapons with them downrange, and although a detached upper is technically not a weapon, I wouldn't expect to get too far with that argument when dealing with a MP Customs inspector downrange. It's one of those classic cases where you could technically be right, and still end up taking a needless beating.

AC

SDDuc996
3 January 2010, 22:29
You are exactly right. Absolutely against regs.

Fortunately for me, the chain turned a blind eye to what we brought. Not to mention, I controlled what our inventories reflected in our loadout.

I wouldn't dream of bringing my SBR'd lower. No need.

We also didn't deal with MP Custom's inspectors thank God.