PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Ring Sight: Better Forward or Rearword?

agksimon
3 January 2010, 12:22
I have a Mossberg 930SPX with a ghost ring sight mounted on a rail. I tried moving the sight all the way forward, rearword and in between. Because of my ageing eyesight, I ended up mounting it all the way forward, as the ghost ring is clearest to me up there. It also makes the ring look smaller and I can center it up better that way. The advantages above far outweigh the 2 inches I lose in sight radius and doesn't seem to hinder me a bit in accuracy.

Paulo_Santos
3 January 2010, 12:40
As long as it works for you, use it.

Mike
3 January 2010, 13:14
As he said. What works for you and your application is best for you.

But here a few things to think about:

A ghost ring sight is called that way for a reason. You are not supposed to see it clear or to have it small. It is no diopter sight and not intended for precision shooting. It is designed for fast short to mid range shots with a minimum time needed to pick it up.

Thus it needs to be "big" and that means close(r) to the eye, or at least bigger than a normal diopter / peep sight used on a rifle (remember the bigger apertures for rifles are used for close range work). And because it is so close, it will be fuzzy. When shouldering the gun you should have the sight instantly in front of your eyes and be able to look through (in the best case without even having to adjust to it) so that it is a good approximation that where the front sight is the shot will hit.

If you are cool with a certain amount of loss of speed while trading for better accuracy - then this is your way.

If you want a fast pick up of sights and target for reaction type shooting and or self defense, better utilize the ghost ring sight the way it was conceived.

So, we're back at the beginning: What works for you and your application is best for you.

agksimon
3 January 2010, 18:01
I forgot to mention that it's not just a focus problem up close, it's also a double image problem. I don't know which one is the real one. Farther out, it comes in focus and only one image.