PDA

View Full Version : Piston SBR suggestions

ColdSe7en
6 January 2010, 02:34
Hey all, first off, I've only recently registered but I've always poked my head around here looking for advice or all of stick's pretty pictures [:D] but sorry if this is in the wrong place. (not super keen on forums)

Anyhow, I'm trying to go about building a SBR with a barrel length of 10.5 (Sabre Defence 10.5 chrome lined to be exact) and a Vltor MUR reciever. However, I'd love for this to be my first gas piston rather than yet another DI...thing is, I want to build a look using rails past the gas block where the rail stops close to the muzzle but far enough to utilize a can (possibly half and inch from where the rail stops and the threads begin)

Problem here is finding a design that works. So far the following is all I can think of as far as close to my dream...Let me know what you guys think or if you know any alternatives.

Option 1 -
Daniel Defense 9.5 FSP with a PWS Piston kit or AA Piston Kit...altough theres more room than I'd like between the front of the rail and the back of the comp.

Option 2 -
Wait to see what handguards (not a fan of the 7" MI rails) are compatible with the Osprey Defense OPS416 piston kit then just use that with a pinned Low profile block

Option 3 -
Simply bite the bullet and purchase a PWS DC-10 and replace the reciever with the MUR...although it would make the sabre barrel feel unloved still.

I'm aware of the Ares and Bushy conversions but I've heard those only fit with a small amount of handguards. I'm also aware of the LWRC M6 but honestly don't care for the ARMR-M rail.

I know there's got to be more solutions out there....please help a piston newbie [BD]

Paulo_Santos
6 January 2010, 10:23
From what I can remember the DD 9.5 FSP is your only real option and I'm not sure it will work with the AA system, but I know it will work with the PWS.

Have you considered just getting a LWRCI 10.5" upper? In the long run, it might be just as cheap and it will look just like you want it. You can always sell you Saber barrel.

ColdSe7en
6 January 2010, 14:33
I've looked into the LWRC, like I said I'm just not a huge fan of this rails, but beyond that honestly don't know much about that setup...I'm probably wrong but are those rails not machined on the reciever so that I couldn't drop the system on a MUR reciever? Anyone have this weapon in 10.5 that can give their $0.02 on the matter?

EDIT: Just checked out their site...its a separate system, but the rail itself is only 9" long....bringing me back to one of my original issues of too much length between the end of the rails and the beginning of the comp threads

rcrandall
6 January 2010, 15:04
I've had an LWRC M6A1 10.5" in 5.56 since 2006 and love it. Super clean, reliable, and accurate (as far as I have tested to 50 yards).

Okay, you could by an M6 model (plastic handguards) and then buy a Daniel Defense rail made for piston uppers:

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=165

ColdSe7en
6 January 2010, 16:45
Again the problem there is DD's piston omega is only a 7" rail system, I'm looking for about a 10" rail that will extend past or cover the gas block

Paulo_Santos
6 January 2010, 17:53
Again the problem there is DD's piston omega is only a 7" rail system, I'm looking for about a 10" rail that will extend past or cover the gas block

The LWRC covers up the gas block and you can access the piston via the top. It is a nice setup. The rail is 9" long. Not exactly what you are looking for, but it is the closest. Check the picture link below with the 16" barrel. The 10.5" barrel is much shorter and will to the flash hider. If you get a 10.5" barrel with the 10" handguards, the flash hider wil be almost covered up.

http://www.lwrci.com/popup.aspx?src=images/Product/large/101.jpg

rcrandall
7 January 2010, 10:08
Yeah, the M6A2 has the low profile gas block anhd the rail is longer. There are guys running their 10.3" M6A2's suppressed.

eternal24k
8 January 2010, 14:04
for a piston SBR, I would have a hard time doing anything other than LWRC,
with the 12.5" LMT 2nd (but with FH you are so close to a pinned 14.5", which is a major con for me)

SDDuc996
8 January 2010, 22:13
I went with an LMT 10.5 with PWS conversion and DD 9.5FSP rail and deployed with it in 08. There were many envious buddies. It was solid and it worked. Talk to Todd at PWS and he might still have a pic.

OUTLAW-ONE
15 January 2010, 09:30
LWRC 10.5'' gets my vote.

CarlosDJackal
15 March 2010, 11:03
Another vote for an LWRC SBR. I have a 10.5" M6A1 and a 12.7" M6A3 (which is a mid-length system) uppers. I have over 10k through the 10.5" upper and jus went over 5k through the 12.7" upper.

YMMV.

miczero
15 March 2010, 13:23
From what I can remember the DD 9.5 FSP is your only real option and I'm not sure it will work with the AA system, but I know it will work with the PWS.

According to the FAQ on AA site (http://www.adamsarms.net/content.asp?content=3), the DD 9.5 FSP will work just fine.

d90king
16 March 2010, 06:09
The LWRC covers up the gas block and you can access the piston via the top. It is a nice setup. The rail is 9" long. Not exactly what you are looking for, but it is the closest. Check the picture link below with the 16" barrel. The 10.5" barrel is much shorter and will to the flash hider. If you get a 10.5" barrel with the 10" handguards, the flash hider wil be almost covered up.

http://www.lwrci.com/popup.aspx?src=images/Product/large/101.jpg

I have that rail on my A3 and like it a lot FWIW.