PDA

View Full Version : Spikes Tactical Brown Recluse

Narco
7 January 2010, 19:53
Let me first start out, by saying… Tom Miller aka badazzar15, is the coolest dude to deal with. While not only being hands on with from start to end of the projects requested of his company, he takes a personal interest in the shooters who operate his weapon systems.

I first came to know of Spikes Tactical via another member on this board, Zack3g, when .22lr kits became the craze. My relationship with Spikes via my MasterCard became very intimate in a dirty sexy way. As LE Officer/3 Gun Competitor/ Shooting sports enthusiast, I have bought all the Kool-Aid gear, and ran it hard, until I found what works and trashed the rest.

As any good AR15 shooter should do with their rifle, I sought outside sources for training, to add to my skill set, but you have to agree there are those who try to buy their skill. This is not one of those occasions.

I received the rifle depicted below, neatly packaged in the customary Spike’s box, in their anodize FDE, I would really call it a chameleon, due to its nature to blend with many darker shades, given the amount of ambient light.

This week was a torture test for Spikes –– rain, mud and all. I had the privilege to run this rifle, through a Magpul Dynamics Hyper Violent Weapons Manipulation class, that was hosted by Nolatac Firearms Training, with Chris Costa as the lead instructor.

Spike’s Brown Recluse ran 2000 rounds (TAP Training, Federal XM193, Winchester Q3131/Q3131A, Wolf) without any FTF, FTE, double feeds –– Flawless.
Testing included semi and full auto fire. The rifle was not cleaned during the entire 3 day training evolution. The only lubrication that was added was at the beginning of the training days, with several drops of Slip 2000 on the Bolt, and BCG.

Weapon Specs are as follows:
Spikes Tactical 16” Mid-length Direct Impingement Gas System
Daniel Defense 12” Omega Lite Rail
Spikes ST-T2 Buffer
PWS FNC556 Brake
JP Precision Fire Control Group
Magpul CTR, MOE, AFG, MBUS (Front and Rear), MS2, ASAP
Aim-Point T-1 with Larue Tactical Mount

I also run a Spikes Barking Spider 10.5” with Warthog on my SBR.. The new brake has clean lines, does it job superbly, and performs just like this 16”…

In closing let me add this.. After having the ability to train with Magpul Dynamics, on several occasions, I have seen, a lot of gear fail, weapon systems explode, waking me up to what really works… On all occasions, Spikes Tactical runs a lot of other big box guns into to the ground…

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4255901552_8d15710be8_o.jpg

Keebsley
8 January 2010, 13:23
That there is a sexy rifle. I might have to figure out some coin to drop...might have to check out Spike's Tactical since it's been awhile.

Stickman
10 January 2010, 14:13
Needs more pictures....

Slippers
10 January 2010, 15:34
Call me vain, but I simply cannot get past the huge spider logo on everything (and I'm not one of those nutty fit/finish people. My rifles are dinged, worn, have mismatched anodizing, etc). I see people complain about BCM logos, but at least it's only text.

Is it just me, or does the spike's spider look like a darth vader helmet? [crazy]

NOLACOPUSMC
10 January 2010, 18:09
i had the pleasure of shooting this rifle for a few hundred rounds , and it is in fact a Cadillac--I mean with the top down, curb feelers, and 28" spinna's, ya dig?

It is extremely light and ran like a Champ no matter what we fed it. A brother to it is already in the works with Tom at Spikes.

I have seen nothing but great things and service come out of Spikes so far.

103m 95g
10 January 2010, 19:20
Because Narco bought the spikes I now own his M&P lower, I saw it the day he picked it up at the FFL. I sure wish I didnt have to Bail on the HVWM class, maybe next time around.

Narco
11 January 2010, 05:01
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2728/4265239655_578e75564b_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4265984634_abf70b0c9e_o.jpg