PDA

View Full Version : has anyone bought anything from a website named "model1sales.com" ?

mxriderkev
7 January 2010, 23:00
Has anybody ever bought a complete kit from model 1 sales.com?I'm looking at their 24' varmit kit. At 520 dollars it seems like a steal. But I'm a little leary about the quality.

marko
8 January 2010, 07:34
They are about 10 minutes from were I live. They seem to have a good reputation around here. I tried to order from them but it was a 8 month backorder. Try M & A parts.

Army Chief
8 January 2010, 16:59
Model 1 Sales has done an excellent job of generating interest in AR building, and they have obviously found a business model that works well for them; that said, the predominate view among working professionals is that M1S-sourced components and/or assemblies are strictly "hobby grade." Parts quality and finish tends to be poor. Dimensionality is often suspect. QC and component testing are rudimentary at best.

What you get is a part that looks about right, fits about right, and might even work about right -- for a while -- but which is not at all built to a professional-use standard. For the money, that may strike some as a reasonable return, but I would not stake my life or my livelihood on any bargain/parts bin AR. If such rifles are not deserving of this level of confidence, the obvious question is this: why would a knowledgeable shooter wish to own one at all?

Quality costs money. Producing, finishing and inspecting quality parts is an expensive process. Building to a defined standard (whether that be TDP/MILSPEC or something else) takes time and experience. I understand the appeal of a low-cost look-alike, but such rifles will inevitably lead to disappointment and added expense. My advice to anyone serious about acquiring a rifle that they know they can depend upon is this: save your money and get it right the first time.

AC

Sudslinger
8 January 2010, 17:57
spend alot once, cry alot once.

rcrandall
8 January 2010, 19:20
Look at Bravocompanyusa.com. They have excellent products and make a 20" 5.56 upper. Their stuff is milspec, IMO the barrels are better than milspec since they are hammer forged.

SDDuc996
8 January 2010, 22:03
They've been around for awhile. I bought a kit from them many moons ago and sold the gun. As mentioned previously, great for beginners on the cheap, but I'd definitely spend the extra for good quality kit.

Buy once, cry once.

Army Chief
9 January 2010, 07:40
BCM would also get my vote for "best in class" components for a basic build.

For more advanced builds, I would also take a look at Rainier Arms, as they have recently released a number of excellent proprietary components.

AC

Quib
10 January 2010, 07:27
Can’t vouch for the current quality of M1S’s products. During the ban though, if I recall correctly sometime around 2000/2001, I purchased a flat-top upper that was advertised as being from M1S. The rails on this upper were out-of-spec and would not accept either my ARMS Swansleeve or #40 BUIS. To bring the upper into spec required filing down the top and sides of the rails, then refinishing.