PDA

View Full Version : Planning my next build - a midlength

HeavyDuty
9 January 2010, 10:04
Now that I've made progress on existing AR projects I'd like to build a light, handy 14.5" or 16" midlength carbine for general use.

Most of the build is pretty easy to plan:

* AGP Arms lower receiver (I like their stuff)
* BCM A3 or Vltor MUR-1A upper receiver
* BCM BCG
* Magpul CTR, MOE PG and Enhanced TG

Some details still need to be determined. For one thing I haven't decided what to do for a FF rail - this is going to have a pinned FSB plus I want a contiguous top rail (but not a monolithic upper). I'm tempted to use a Troy MRF with the factory barrel nut; I've also been wanting to try a Daniel Defense Lite rail. I think a 9" DD Lite will win out.

The other thing I'm fighting with is the barrel - whether to go 14.5 with a permed FH or 16". I'd like top quality for this one but also want to keep it light and have a fixed FSB. I'd love a Noveske Afghan 14.5... but from what I can tell he doesn't offer it with a fixed pinned FSB so I'd have to go with an 11" rail and a fixed front BUIS (not the end of the world.) It's also a little heavier contour than I'd like but I'd put up with it for Noveske quality.

Any other lighter weight high quality 14.5" barrel suggestions that would let me keep a pinned FSB? I want to be sure I've considered what's out there before I start thinking about having a barrel reprofiled.

Doing this as a 16" would sure hell of a lot easier - "hello, Bravo Company?"

Stickman
9 January 2010, 11:49
I would go with a 16" midlength barrel, there is going to be more to choose from.

PS- I changed your thread title as requested.

HeavyDuty
9 January 2010, 11:53
Thanks Stick!

Yeah, that's one of the issues I've been wrestling with - when I composed this thread a few days ago in the word processor I was still leaning 14.5". A couple of days since searching for components has been enough to make me give 16" serious consideration.

Wasn't BCM talking about doing lightweight midlengths this year?

tac40
9 January 2010, 11:58
The 16 mid would be my choice as well. Good luck.

HeavyDuty
9 January 2010, 12:12
Other than the rumored upcoming BCM production, are there any 16" lightweight mids? I'm not finding much.

My ideal would be the same profile as my BM Superlight in a mid configuration.

Paulo_Santos
9 January 2010, 14:18
When you say lightweight, do you mean M4 profile or a true pencil profile barrel?

Mt absolute favorite setup is a 16" barrel with a low-profile gas block and a 10" barrel. I personally don't like the iron sights out of the way unless they are the primary optics. Just a personal thing.

HeavyDuty
9 January 2010, 14:51
I would prefer .625, or even better a pencil with .625 under the FSB and .590 or so fore and aft like the BM Superlight. In a mid it would definitely have to be a custom reprofile.

I've tried both folding and fixed fronts and much prefer fixed.

rob_s
9 January 2010, 16:27
Can you elaborate on "general use", and perhaps let us know the setup of your existing ARs?

I find that establishing an end-use and list of criteria typically makes the selection process of parts & accessories very easy.

HeavyDuty
9 January 2010, 18:02
Rob, "general use" as close as I can come. I'm not LE (close but not quite - volunteer reserve with limited powers), not .MIL, not an operator. It'll be used for home defense and general offhand field shooting out to 200M, much more than that my eyes can't handle without a magnified optic (which this one won't have.)

I currently have five ARs completed or in advanced construction:

* A featherweight 16" A1 carbine with irons only in 5.56;
* A lightweight 16" A3 carbine with an RDS (to be rebarreled in kind);
* A lightweight 16" A3 carbine with an RDS in .22LR;
* A 9mm carbine range toy; and
* A 20" A3 rifle set up as an optics-only bipod gun (under construction)

For background, I bought my first AR in 1980 or 81, a used POS SP-1 Carbine (6100?); I sold that one for a new Colt carbine (6420?) in the late 80s, then sold that one in the early 90s. I was without an AR until I built what is now after changes the featherweight A1 in 1999 during the Y2K rampup and haven't been without an AR since.

The proposed new build won't replace any of these, it'll an addition to stock. I want to build something closer to a best quality gun without breaking the bank. I enjoy wrenching these things together and am rather successful at it - all of my current guns were personal builds. After a few episodes of self-inflicted butthurt I've learned to avoid bottom-feeder components.

Why a midlength? I already have two decent guns with carbine gas and have been reading a lot about the pressure advantages of a mid, plus I'd like the additional handguard real estate. I don't expect to go into harm's way with it, but I don't plan on removing the fire extinguishers from my kitchen or cars either. It'll be a practical gun, not a range toy.

I'm an analyst and a PM, I know where I'm going with this one (at least I will once I make a final decision on the 14.5" v. 16" issue) but I could use help with part sourcing. The overall configuration is pretty much set.

rcrandall
9 January 2010, 18:07
Just get the BCM mid-length upper with the DD rail. Good quality, decent price. And I would go with the 16" middy, too, gives you another 50 to 80 fps.

HeavyDuty
9 January 2010, 18:38
Logic is pointing me to a 16"... less of a hassle for maintenance and future changes due to no permed FH. I think I need to ask Steve if he can turn a stripped BCM, DD or Sabre barrel down to the same profile as a BM Superlight including the .625 FSB seat - I think I found a source for pinned .625 F-height FSBs.

kombos
26 January 2010, 11:40
....I think I need to ask Steve if he can turn a stripped BCM, DD or Sabre barrel down to the same profile as a BM Superlight including the .625 FSB seat - I think I found a source for pinned .625 F-height FSBs.

This is exactly what I think I would like to build.

I'm really interested to see if you find a way to come up with this configuration.

iamjonscranium
27 January 2010, 13:04
Are you wanting a flip up front sight? If not, ADCO is coming out with another Cruiser barrel. It's chrome vandium, mid length gas, rifle length sight. It's HBAR but you could have them recontour it to LW and even cut and pin to 14.5. Only draw back is you'll need a full length rail, which is heavier.

Another rail option is the Mega upper with integrated rail. They make a good product.

Cameron
27 January 2010, 13:20
The 16" mid-length is the "sweet spot" in AR15s.

Cameron