PDA

View Full Version : Pre-SHOT SHOW 10 rumors, guesses, hopes, etc.

Army Chief
10 January 2010, 06:30
... carrying forward from the same topic last year, let it begin. =]

AC

Bushwacker4
10 January 2010, 06:46
... carrying forward from the same topic last year, let it begin. =]

AC

I for one would like to see a version of the Magpul Cheek Riser compatible with the AR-15. Or, does anybody know of an additional cheek rest for the MOE/CTR that doesn't include an old towel and duct tape?

caporider
10 January 2010, 07:10
ACR pricing and availability, along with shipping feature set;

HK MR556 and MR762 pricing and availability, along with working prototypes;

Several new Magpul products (I would love to see polymer mags for additional platforms and calibers, a Magpul light mounting solution that works with their AFG, a midlength MOE handguard, and the overmolded MOE pistol grip);

A Larue Tactical rifle sound suppressor (at least in prototype form);

New suppressor designs from Surefire and AAC, along with new muzzle devices;

First-article production units for the LMT MRP308;

New scope designs from IOR and Vortex;

A boatload of new or revised KAC 7.62 guns available for civilian purchase.

Army Chief
10 January 2010, 07:16
Since it is sure to make the list again this year, a bit of updated speculation on the Magpul/Bushmaster/Remington Masada/ACR is probably in order. I was recently discussing this with a member from Germany, and he reminded me that we've walked this path before (in our pre-SHOT 09 thread, for example). A year later, we're still trying to figure out a commercial release date, and we're really no closer to having an answer.

While I remain a proponent of the weapon in both conceptual and practical terms, the fact that we've yet to see a production variant fielded surely tells us something, and I can't believe that it is entirely related to military trials or anything of the sort. Given the amount of time that the rifle has been in development, the only logical reason for its market absence is that it simply isn't production-ready.

There could be any number of reasons for this, though I know -- and was recently reminded -- that under Remington's watch, the grip module in particular has become a significant point of interest. In this, we may yet see some substantive materiel/design changes before the weapon is released for full-scale production. Obviously, we all want Remington to do whatever takes to get it right the first time, so I wouldn't pretend to second-guess the status quo; that said, the underlying point here is that there is a very good reason that only one ACR has made it into private hands thus far (from the AAC Silencer Shoot raffle): the rifle is still in a development phase -- however "final" that might be.

Whatever the case, here we are a year later, still on hold, and still maintaining a cautious enthusiasm for the realization of Magpul's original vision. Here's hoping that 2010 is the year that things finally progress from pending to production. My guess? Whether this year or next, it will have been worth the wait.

AC

Army Chief
10 January 2010, 07:21
Good point on the suppressor/design issue. I'm curious if perhaps we might see something surprising come from AAC, given the recent ownership change, and presumably, an influx of new captial. I've no insider knowledge here; it just seems logical to elevate our expectations in view of these developments.

AC

Optimus Prime
10 January 2010, 10:15
A light mount from Magpul that works well with the AFG wouldn't surprise me since I ordered a light and mount for my carbine last week... would be par for the course for something better to come out after I dropped the cash. (Got a stubby Tango Down grip with no home now...)

Some news on the ACR would be nice... like how much money I need to stash for it...

.22lr semi-auto pistols along the lines of the full size rifles would be nice (I saw some mumbling of an M&P .22lr pistol on the interwebs yesterday... that could have potential). And ones that didn't cost $600+ like the Sig 226 .22lr. Mag cap. of more than 10 would be welcome as well in this category.

Uglyduck
10 January 2010, 10:34
.22lr semi-auto pistols along the lines of the full size rifles would be nice (I saw some mumbling of an M&P .22lr pistol on the interwebs yesterday... that could have potential). And ones that didn't cost $600+ like the Sig 226 .22lr. Mag cap. of more than 10 would be welcome as well in this category.

+1 on the M&P. I also hope that Spikes Tactical announces that their matching Billet receivers are available. And as always, still holding my breath for the ACR.

Stickman
10 January 2010, 11:01
My guesses...

ACR and HK release

minor can stuff

rumors of new mags (don't think only Magpul)

new AK components

new high end optic mount getting ready to emerge (more about this shortly)

pistol(s)

Continuation of .22 components and weapons due to ammo pricing

7.62x51 weapon(s)

new lights

new rails for AR15 and AK

more polymer components for AR from new sources

several redesigns as the military looks at optic mounts

a few new optics (as usual)

new stock(s)

more billet uppers and lowers for the AR15 crowd

bigcoastie
10 January 2010, 12:15
I'd personally love to see some more affordable offerings in the AR10 and bullpup category. I really just can't justify paying the 3k + price range that LaRue, KAC, and LWRCI are at the moment on the AR10 side. On the bullpup side the only thing I can justify purchasing is an MSAR E4, the FN PS90 and F2000 and the Keltec RFB seem overpriced (guess I need to make more money or stop complaining about prices)

As for plinking I love the new Keltec PMR30 http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/pmr-30.pdf, if they could only release something in a .22lr instead of .22wmr it'd be great.

More ACR news is always welcome as long as it isn't going to have the price or availability of the SCAR when it was released.

More true 1x-3,4,5 or 6x scopes that have daytime illumination and good reticles.

Finally I'd love to see Bobro come out w/ a T-1 mount, some light mounts, and a full line of ACOG mounts. I really think they are ahead of everyone when it comes to mounts at the moment and their only downfall is availability and that they don't offer mounts for everything yet.

Army Chief
10 January 2010, 12:34
Finally I'd love to see Bobro come out w/ a T-1 mount, some light mounts, and a full line of ACOG mounts. I really think they are ahead of everyone when it comes to mounts at the moment and their only downfall is availability and that they don't offer mounts for everything yet.

Hear, hear.

I realize that quality takes time, and that his present production capacity is limited, but Bobro is an innovator who seems destined for exponential growth.

AC

SilentType
10 January 2010, 13:36
I think it's important to look at the development progress of the ACR and compare it to other rifles.

The ACR was first presented to the public as the prototype Magpul Masada at the 2007 SHOT Show. The Bushmaster deal with Magpul wasn't announced until 2008. It hasn't even been two full years at Bushmaster yet for the ACR.

The FNH SCAR was in development for about five years. The Robinson Arms XCR was in development for about two years before its first release.

Stickman
10 January 2010, 14:04
Release of the ACR was sidetracked for development into military trials. I think we all understand that extends things a bit. I look forward to getting my ACR to keep this year.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4228652149_b3a798e698_o.jpg

Stickman
10 January 2010, 14:11
I'd personally love to see some more affordable offerings in the AR10 and bullpup category. I really just can't justify paying the 3k + price range that LaRue, KAC, and LWRCI are at the moment on the AR10 side.

I would like to see Remington license the Massoud, that weapon is impressive and has a great overall feel to it.

KAC is a battle proven weapon system with real world military contracts, I can see their quality and costs both being high.

wortman
10 January 2010, 15:52
I also would like to see some more happenings with the AR10 platform. I agree with bigcoastie on the price issues, hope to see something. I think if a manufacturer starts with a precision, commercial priced AR10 platform it will sell tremendously well

Stickman
10 January 2010, 16:12
I think there will always be a limitation on the .308 platforms because of ammo prices. With that in mind, I would still love to see a few decent options out there.

Army Chief
10 January 2010, 16:26
I would gladly deal with a couple of months on Mac & Cheese to realize the prospect of bringing home a Remington Massoud. The erstwhile emergence of the ACR could potentially start all kinds of brush fires, and it would be tremendous if this turned out to be one of them.

AC

Optimus Prime
10 January 2010, 19:49
One of my friends keeps mumbling about getting a SCAR-Heavy when they come out, and I keep telling him to wait for the Massoud...

Stickman
10 January 2010, 21:22
I've played with both, I like both, but the Massoud wins out for me.

OUTLAW-ONE
11 January 2010, 08:27
http://muzepix.com/ar/temp/ACRad.jpg

Uglyduck
11 January 2010, 10:53
I probably missed it somewhere. But it appears the integral flip front sight originally on the Masada has been removed in favor the standard "pick your favorite BUIS or matching MBUS". Correct?

Stickman
11 January 2010, 12:04
It may be something that is available on certain versions, later models, or it may be something that the aftermarket rail company(s) deal with.

Stickman
11 January 2010, 12:05
There are a few new pack designs coming out as well, for those people who live out of their bags, it should be nice.

rob_s
11 January 2010, 13:16
I think we'll see more in the .22 market, for the reasons stick mentions. If not at SHOT then shortly after.

I'm in a pretty good place myself. I have found what works for me on many, many levels, and have found a lot of over-hyped items that I have no use for through my own use.

I don't even have any firearm purchases planned for all of 2010 outside of an M&P15-22. Can't think of anything anyone would be able to produce that would knock my current selections off their perches either.

joffe
11 January 2010, 14:02
I don't have any rumors and guesses, only lists for Santa Claus. :P

*white PMAGs (EMAGs actually) for winter ops and appropriately painted rifles
*Vltor Bren Ten release of currently anticipated .45 and 10mm models, and showcase of future 9mm models.
*ACR release date and an MSRP below $1700 for the 'basic' model
*Magpul PDR not being permanently mothballed. I love that thing.

edit - oh there is something.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2010/01/11/new-sig-sauer-p226-and-p229-e2/

Look at that grip! BHP style. Might be nice for midget hands like me. Hope they'll make in DAK, don't like that DA/SA idea.

Stickman
11 January 2010, 15:42
joffe,

Looks like Sig is trying to beat Glock for the SHOT release info.

Stickman
12 January 2010, 11:25
More .22 rumors overheard last night....

Optimus Prime
12 January 2010, 13:53

Go on....

Uglyduck
12 January 2010, 14:23

Although it doesn't have quite the same ring to it, you should change your name to "Teaseman"

chem_guy
13 January 2010, 09:10
Bushmaster has updated their webpage. When you click on the ACR update it now takes you to a countdown timer.

Also, it looks like Magpul is releasing two new video sets: Art of the Dynamic Handgun and Aerial Platform Operations. Good thing tax return time is getting close. My wallet is already pinching itself in anticipation.

chem_guy
15 January 2010, 15:58
Wow. I guess that I am a thread killer. Sorry about that AC.

Army Chief
15 January 2010, 16:13
Not at all -- Stick just started another SHOT 10 thread that has picked up the balance of this discussion for the most part.

AC

tac40
15 January 2010, 21:12
A Glock rifle 556/6.8 cailber, Magpul FMG 9, S&B scope or RDS that is affordable. HK or ACR wins contract for new US military rifles,
& DSA making a copy of the British L1A1 7.62

Policetacteam
17 January 2010, 05:27
Vltor will be releasing a new stock, some different buffer systems, possibly a new handguard or two and some other items not officially out for the public just yet! Should be an exciting year for several cmpanies. We will see. [pop]

Stickman
18 January 2010, 06:34
Wow. I guess that I am a thread killer. Sorry about that AC.

My thread asking what people want me to check out at SHOT turned into another SHOT thread on accident. [BD]

Stickman
18 January 2010, 06:35
Vltor will be releasing a new stock, some different buffer systems, possibly a new handguard or two and some other items not officially out for the public just yet! Should be an exciting year for several cmpanies. We will see. [pop]

Vltor iMod stock pictures are out, it looks good.

Army Chief
18 January 2010, 08:18
I definitely hear the calls for "affordable Schmidt & Bender" glass, but I won't be holding my breath. If anything, S&B is even more expensive in Germany than it is here in the States, and cost-cutting isn't a major priority -- even if it costs market share.

You have to keep in mind that what put S&B on the map was their hunting glass in a country where Swarovski and Zeiss are peer competitors in the $2,000 and up optics category. True, the other two companies do have more budget-minded lines, but they also are more diversified -- not to mention much larger firms.

S&B seems likely to remain on glide slope with a premium product at a price to match, and given the current Dollar/Euro exchange rate, I'm just glad that they aren't even more out of reach.

AC

Policetacteam
19 January 2010, 17:46
Stick,
Just saw the pics of the Vltor iMod stock! Love it! Everything I LOVED about my old stock coupled with everything I love about my newer EMOD = stock love all over again! By adding the nicer butt pad and angling the lower portion to better suit those of us using tactical vests it has just what it needs and still retains the qualities I came to love in the original! Nice work Vltor!!!

Where are the 2010SHOT show pics!?! Lets start getting those up! I'm jonesing for some new products to drool over!

Dutch
19 January 2010, 23:20
Stick,
Just saw the pics of the Vltor iMod stock! Love it! Everything I LOVED about my old stock coupled with everything I love about my newer EMOD = stock love all over again! By adding the nicer butt pad and angling the lower portion to better suit those of us using tactical vests it has just what it needs and still retains the qualities I came to love in the original! Nice work Vltor!!!

Where are the 2010SHOT show pics!?! Lets start getting those up! I'm jonesing for some new products to drool over!

Policetacteam,

I will answer this one for Stick....Photos will be posted very quickly. We left the Show at about 1730hrs and are working a bit of OT to get thoughts and photos posted. If you haven't been to SHOT before the first day is spent getting in touch with vendors and setting up times to see what the have to debut so as to give proper credit where it's due. Be patient and you will be justly rewarded for your patience.

I have heard some photos might show at militarytimes.com

Click on Gear Scout Photo

Just a thought[:D]

Dutch

Policetacteam
19 January 2010, 23:56
Roger that!