PDA

View Full Version : Takedown Pins

Gray
10 December 2007, 16:19
I have a Colt 6721 (LE Tac Carbine A3). I bought it new in 96 as an LEO private party purchase and thankfully the Billary Ban went away so I kept it upon retirement.

It has the screw type from takedown pin (which I destroyed by over-torquing the screw) and so I put a DPMS ball-pin in it. I am not satisfied with that product, it seems to easy to release.

Is there a better product, or a way to retro it to the standard mil style pushpins?

Eric
10 December 2007, 23:48
I have found that some Colt lowers actually have the hole for the detent and spring, so you can install a regular mil-spec pivot pin. Otherwise, you would have to get the hole drilled out. I don't know that most gunsmiths would have the experience to do this correctly. I know that www.specializedarmament.com can do it and I believe that ar15barrels.com does it as well, but is very backed up.

Gray
11 December 2007, 10:38
Thank you Eric. Do you know if KNS pins would be a secure alternative to one that requires smithing (I saw KNS pins on one of Stick's project photos.)

NvrenufRR
19 December 2007, 02:45
I have 6721 and mine came with mil-spec take down pins and detents.
I can't answer the KNS question, but if they offer mil-spec replacements it will work for you if you add the detent and spring.