PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with experience with CMMG lower receivers?

niner
15 January 2010, 06:01
I bought a CMMG lower a while ago when forged lower receivers were in short supply that were not approaching $200. By that last statement I mean while looking at gunshows and the local gunshops; I didn't want to order one online since after fees and shipping the costs would still approach $200.

Anyway, that lower's magwell was always a little tight and would not drop freely any pmags and only a few of my USGI magazines. I talked to their customer service a few weeks ago and they told me to ship the out-of-spec lower back to them for a replacement. I finally received the replacement and this one seems to have an even tighter magwell. Is this normal for CMMG? I've looked online and CMMG seems to produce a quality mil-spec product and their magwells were actually looser than many other manufacturers. I can barely insert any magazine now without much effort, and they will definitely not drop free.

This lower was going to be the foundation of a build for my wife that I have been putting together and just about completed (except for the lower now), I only need a flash suppressor and rear iron sight.

Is this typical of CMMG lower receivers, and will the magwell begin to break-in and allow for magazines to insert easily and drop free.

Their customer service is pretty good by wanting to replace the first problematic lower, but I think their QC might be slipping some, I realize they probably get their lowers built by someone else and they put their name on it, but still their QC should inspect them before they send them off to the customer.

This is very frustrating.

Thanks.

-9r

Sudslinger
15 January 2010, 06:40
I have a CMMG complete. Pmags are all I have ever used and they have dropped free every single time. Perhaps you were unlucky twice?

5pins
15 January 2010, 08:29
I have a CMMG lower that I got about a year and a half ago and I have had no problems with it. It drops all mags I have tried. Pmags, Lancer, ARC, USGI, Guns and Ammo, News Week.

I have read on the interweb about their QC as being hit and miss, but their CS is good. While I appreciate good CS it's better not to use it in the first place.

At this point the only thing to do is call them up and make sure they know that this is the second bad one you've had.

niner
15 January 2010, 08:55
I have a CMMG lower that I got about a year and a half ago and I have had no problems with it. It drops all mags I have tried. Pmags, Lancer, ARC, USGI, Guns and Ammo, News Week.

I have read on the interweb about their QC as being hit and miss, but their CS is good. While I appreciate good CS it's better not to use it in the first place.

At this point the only thing to do is call them up and make sure they know that this is the second bad one you've had.

I am in contact with the guy who worked with me for the first replacement, he wants me to ship him my current lower and 6-8 mags to see what is going on, unfortunately it cost me $13 to ship the receiver to them in the first place and probably another $15 to ship this one back, I am trying to see if they can send me a prepaid box or slip something.

krinkle
15 January 2010, 13:33
That's a good idea. I can say that I have a CMMG lower and all my mags drop fine. 2 mags are C-products, the rest PMAGS. I have dealt with their CS recently for an upper and so far so good, very responsive.

103m 95g
15 January 2010, 15:40
I have 2 lowers purchased before the buying frenzy, no problem with either having tight Magwells.

niner
15 January 2010, 17:08
I got a UPS shipping slip in an email from them so that is good I will ship it back to them tomorrow or Monday. I guess I am just unlucky twice :(

PAGO
16 January 2010, 19:43
i have 2 lowers and no trouble with pmag or d&h.
sorry to hear about your troubles.
i hope they do right by you, good luck.

niner
25 January 2010, 17:22
Well third time is a charm, got a new receiver today (This one is teflon coated) and all my mags (including my pmags and my new CMMG mag) fall freely from it :)

I know what I am doing tonight :D

They have good CS too bad I had to use it though.