PDA

View Full Version : AR newb interested in red dot sight

skyjerk
15 January 2010, 22:35
Looking for something to put on top of my new
Armalite LEC M15A4 5.56/.223 carbine.

I dont know squat about what I should be looking for. :)

I dont want to spend a fortune. Something half decent to get started with
hopefully under $200.00

Is there such a thing?

Paulo_Santos
16 January 2010, 06:59
For that price, You won't be able to get an aimpoint or an EOTech. There are some cheaper red dots for your price range, but they arentgenerally that durable and you'll probably wind up buying twice. If it were ms, I'd just use iron sights for now and save up for an aimpoint or eotech.

Quib
16 January 2010, 07:27
I have to agree with Paulo.

Save up and buy a good quality optic. I had two weapons equipped with Aimpoint ML2’s at one point, but regrettably sold them both. Now I’m longing to equip my carbine once again with an Aimpoint but can’t due to other financial obligations.

I know it’s tempting to purchase one of the lower priced optics, it is for me. Especially when some come equipped from the mfgr with a mount. But I have to stress, save your money, buy quality and buy once.

I own one Aimpoint clone that I purchased for my son a few years ago. This was done strictly to mount on his carbine for training, and as a cost savings measure which gave him as a teenager an introduction to red dot optics.

I would never consider mounting such a lower quality optic on anything other than a range/plinking weapon.

bigcoastie
16 January 2010, 07:34
I would recommend a primary arms micro dot, they're only 59$ I run one on my S&W MP15-22 and it's been flawless I also ran about 200 rounds of 12ga through my benelli with one on it and it held up fine.

Alot of people will tell you buy once and buy quality but to me I am just not in the position to buy T-1 micros for every weapon I have, I'm willing to accept that if I spend 59$ on an optic is has a higher probability of failing. As long as you're shooting at the range I see no problem with it.

Eric
16 January 2010, 07:40
I agree with what's already posted. I would save up a few more bucks and work with the irons until then. I've picked up a few good deals buying used optics. A lot of folks have to have the most recent optic and sell off their lightly used version that is a year or two old. The Aimpoint ML2 or C3 are a great choice, or in the EOTech department a 512, rev F.

Quib
16 January 2010, 07:49
.....work with the irons until then.

This should be stressed, especially for someone completely new to the AR.

It’s very tempting to want to equip a new weapon with all the latest in accessories. But if you’re not familiar with the basics of rifle marksmanship with iron sights, this would be a good opportunity to do so.

ETA: Skyjerk, if you are in need of info covering the basics of marksmanship, IM me and I’ll try to square you away.

federalist22
16 January 2010, 09:29
I own one Aimpoint clone that I purchased for my son a few years ago. This was done strictly to mount on his carbine for training, and as a cost savings measure which gave him as a teenager an introduction to red dot optics.

I would never consider mounting such a lower quality optic on anything other than a range/plinking weapon.

From experience with buying Aimpoint clones, stay away from them if you can help it, not just from a no knock-off standpoint, but from a "real" quality standpoint. I have only ever purchased one--about three years ago.

"Fakepoints" tend to have weak mounts (if included--the screw strips out); they have dots that do not stay zeroed; and they kill batteries like they are going out of style, which gets expensive. Also, if you ever have a need/want for an anti-reflection device (ARD), i.e. the device that prevents the sun from glinting off your objective lens, don't bother with a Fakepoint because the Aimpoint ARD will not thread into them. I threw one away and refitted my rifles with real Aimpoints (C3 and ML2).

I also use ADM and LaRue mounts, although I am probably going to stay LaRue after reading some write-ups by Eric on the ADM mount screws coming loose in the rings. I checked one of my ADMs recently and it is loose; tried to tighten the screw and it just turns--stripped, damn.

The Aimpoint CompC3 is a great value--look around for an OpticsPlanet, or SWFA online coupon code before you order. It's an easy way to save on shipping and/or sometimes 10% on price.

Quib
16 January 2010, 10:31
From experience with buying Aimpoint clones, stay away from them if you can help it, not just from a no knock-off standpoint, but from a "real" quality standpoint. I have only ever purchased one--about three years ago.

"Fakepoints" tend to have weak mounts (if included--the screw strips out); they have dots that do not stay zeroed; and they kill batteries like they are going out of style, which gets expensive. Also, if you ever have a need/want for an anti-reflection device (ARD), i.e. the device that prevents the sun from glinting off your objective lens, don't bother with a Fakepoint because the Aimpoint ARD will not thread into them. I threw one away and refitted my rifles with real Aimpoints (C3 and ML2).

I also use ADM and LaRue mounts, although I am probably going to stay LaRue after reading some write-ups by Eric on the ADM mount screws coming loose in the rings. I checked one of my ADMs recently and it is loose; tried to tighten the screw and it just turns--stripped, damn.

The Aimpoint CompC3 is a great value--look around for an OpticsPlanet, or SWFA online coupon code before you order. It's an easy way to save on shipping and/or sometimes 10% on price.

As I stated:

This was strictly for a teenagers carbine as a low cost introductory to red dot optics. LOL....I wasn’t about to shell out hundreds of dollars on a real Aimpoint for a kid. If he wanted to shoot a weapon with a real Aimpoint he had free access to two of mine at any time.

I have to admit, for an $80.00 clone mounted in an Aimpoint x-wide low ring mount:

- The optic has held zero through thousands of rounds of .22lr.
- The optic has held zero through at least one thousand plus rounds of .223/5.56mm.
- Accepts the standard Aimpoint battery with no battery drain problems.
- Has zero parallax problems.

But again, as I stressed above, I would NEVER consider this clone as an acceptable alternative to a genuine Aimpoint.

Stickman
16 January 2010, 10:35
The cheapest one I would even consider is the Vortex Strikefire, it seems to be above the regular clones, with the largest downside being battery life.

Quib
16 January 2010, 11:19
The cheapest one I would even consider is the Vortex Strikefire, it seems to be above the regular clones, with the largest downside being battery life.

That was the optic I had in mind above, when I mentioned optics that are tempting to purchase which also come from the mfgr with their own mount.

I was considering purchasing a Strikefire at one point, but heard mixed reviews on their performance in bright sunlight.

DK9mm
16 January 2010, 11:20
Looking for something to put on top of my new
Armalite LEC M15A4 5.56/.223 carbine.

I dont know squat about what I should be looking for. :)

I dont want to spend a fortune. Something half decent to get started with
hopefully under $200.00

Is there such a thing?

This has received lots of good reviews from AR15.com - http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=447314

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=299&categoryId=5

Stickman
16 January 2010, 11:37
I was considering purchasing a Strikefire at one point, but heard mixed reviews on their performance in bright sunlight.

I know a PD that did testing on them, and that was the only issue they found. In bright light the dot may wash.

Quib
16 January 2010, 12:12
I know a PD that did testing on them, and that was the only issue they found. In bright light the dot may wash.

Did that PD end up going with the Strikefire, or did the wash-out issue kill their decision?

If the Strikefire is being considered by PD’s and being put to the test with good results, with the exception of occasional wash-out, I may reconsider.

federalist22
16 January 2010, 14:18
I have to admit, for an $80.00 clone mounted in an Aimpoint x-wide low ring mount

Quib,

You got me beat--I bought a cheaper one than you via eBay ($30+shipping)--LOL. I got what I paid for, now I buy once, cry once as the saying goes.

Stickman
16 January 2010, 14:45
Did that PD end up going with the Strikefire, or did the wash-out issue kill their decision?

The department is not purchasing them, but will allow them to be used on patrol rifles from what I understand.

Quib
16 January 2010, 16:03
The department is not purchasing them, but will allow them to be used on patrol rifles from what I understand.

Interesting……thank you Sir. [:)]

iamjonscranium
18 January 2010, 11:36

I've seen reviews where the Primary Arms beat the Vortex. It had a brighter dot - Vortex wasn't visible in bright sunlight. I've also seen reviews of the PA micro being tossed around on pavement and holding zero.

I think you can't go wrong with a Primary Arms optic. Even if for some reason it didn't hold up, Marshal at PA will give you a full refund.

They are perfect for civilian home defense and Mil/LE training.

And they are LEGAL clones of aimpoints.

Edit: As Quib said, get used to your irons first. Then you can figure out what type of optic you want - variable scope, fixed wide view scope (ACOG), red dot (Aimpoint). Primary Arms has affordable versions of all of these.

skyjerk
18 January 2010, 20:47
ETA: Skyjerk, if you are in need of info covering the basics of marksmanship, IM me and I’ll try to square you away.

Offer much appreciated. Actually I qualified expert with M-16 in the Army (circa 1982) and previously owned (much more recently) a DPMS LR-308 and shot well with those iron sights and also with a 6.5-20x50mm scope.

This is my first 5.56mm carbine, and I'm just totally unfamiliar with the type of optics that are commonly used for this type of weapon.

Quib
18 January 2010, 21:04
Offer much appreciated. Actually I qualified expert with M-16 in the Army (circa 1982).....

No problem, always glad to help if I can.

Prior service Army here myself, and a TM/FM tech info junky to boot. So I enjoy occasionally cracking open a TM or FM in an attempt at some recurrent training....LOL.

[:)]

Quib
21 February 2010, 05:35
Well, an update from my last entry on this post:

I have an Aimpoint ML2 on order, along with an American Defense AD-68H mount. This will be my third Aimpoint, and I have no doubt that it will not be of the quality and high standards that the others have been.

Look for an update from myself, to the current American Defense AD-68 series review thread. This will be my first introduction to this series of mount and I’ll be adding my initial review as well as updates as time goes on.

m24shooter
22 February 2010, 07:24
I like the Aimpoints, and I have a 512. I like the reticle in the 512 for close in stuff. I've got a Trijicon MRDS. But without a doubt my favorite is the Micro. For a small dot it beats pretty much everything else I've used.
The MRDS is nice, but the reticle washes out in the dark with a weapon light on a light colored target. I double stacked the batteries, and it is quite visibile in bright sunlight. But the automatic photosensor doesn't cut it in the described situation. That may be a similar issue to what the PD had.
An Aimpoint M2 or M3 can be gotten for a little above the OP's budget if he watches for sales. I think someone just ran a sale for the M3 that was about $350, but I don't remember who. Used models can be gotten as well, often still in very good condition.