PDA

View Full Version : Magpul VFG

Stickman
18 January 2010, 06:20
Shots of the Magpul VFG.

Army Chief
18 January 2010, 07:47
Long overdue.

Very interesting profile, though -- thicker than I might have envisioned. Hollow core?

AC

Stickman
19 January 2010, 19:46
A few new pictures for people aside from the typical SHOT pics.

Gator
20 January 2010, 01:52
I agree. People have been waiting for quite some time now for Magpul to come out with their own.
I wonder if this is simply going to be a predecessor of a non-MOE, perhaps even MIAD type grip with length options, thickness or angled inserts, with or without finger grooves and specific palm swell options and maybe even the Magpul logo surface like that on the MIAD.
I see possible potential for having these options to accommodate different shooting styles, from the broomstick grip to the thumb break style and primarily, the "in between" grip styles.

Stickman
20 January 2010, 07:18
Interesting possibility, I would guess it depends on how well this one does.

Dos Cylindros
20 January 2010, 08:12
Stick;

I am interested in this for my carbine length MOE handgaurd. Have you handled it? How sturdy does it feel or appear to be when attached directly to an MOE handgaurd? I am trying to keep my HD carbine fairly light compared with my issue carbine so I don't really want to go with a rail up front.

Go4broke
20 January 2010, 13:27
Interesting...after the recent release of their AFG .

S391
20 January 2010, 21:07
Stick,

Any idea when they will hit the streets?

rugbymike
22 January 2010, 09:40
Where the devil does Travis Haley get his custom camo jobs?!?

Mike
22 January 2010, 12:15
This is a technique that is out for a while, called water transfer printing.

It is centered around a printed film which is based on a water soluble substrate (PVA) that needs an activator to dissolve.
You put the substrate on the surface of the water in a (special) tank, let it dissolve by adding the activator, then dip the item you want to be "painted" (coated would be more correct) into the water so that the now floating film including printed pattern settles on the outer side of the item.

Using this technique you can coat stuff with pretty much every pattern and color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDf5CNHXO0s&feature=related

Also look for related videos at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxnzJIzjtfg&feature=related

Here is a manufacturers website who make camoflage films of some kinds (including multicam and some digital patterns):

http://www.watertransferprinting.com/

There you can even find a desert pattern similar to the desert marpat that Travis uses on his components:

http://twnindustries.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=49&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9#

/edited for clarity

Mike
22 January 2010, 15:22
Found this post on M4C:

Travis Haley's MARPAT camo accessories are all custom jobs, man. Sorry. I asked him the same thing in my carbine class and he told me he shipped them off to another company and personally paid to have it all done. I wish I would've asked him who painted them for him and how much it cost him, but I forgot to.

JadeRaven
27 January 2010, 06:34
When will it be available. . . . in all of the colors. . . . :)

Been searching for a couple months for a nice simple vertical grip that'll match all my other OD green magpul stuff. Luckily the ultra fancy schmansy tango down et al grips don't come in OD green else I probably would have shelled out the dough for one.

JadeRaven
27 January 2010, 06:39
OooOoooo. . . I think I found my answer in the PMAG-40 thread. . . if it's legit. . .

Someone somehow managed to take this picture. Don't know how genuine it is, but it matches at least with some dates I recieved from someone involved:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2531/4290112055_5bdbea1e9a.jpg

Probably this answers a couple of questions... [pop]

March '10 doesn't sound so bad :) Might be a couple more months for all the colors to hit, though :(

Stickman
27 January 2010, 08:46
Stick;

I am interested in this for my carbine length MOE handgaurd. Have you handled it? How sturdy does it feel or appear to be when attached directly to an MOE handgaurd? I am trying to keep my HD carbine fairly light compared with my issue carbine so I don't really want to go with a rail up front.

Yes, they are sitting next to my keyboard right now. They are typical Magpul, meaning that they are sturdy and work well.

iamjonscranium
27 January 2010, 12:57
Thanks for the pics.

Any shots from the front, so we can see the thickness of it?

Stickman
27 January 2010, 17:42
When will it be available. . . . in all of the colors. . . . :)

In typical Magpul fashion, it should be out in black first, then FDE, then FG and OD. That is the listing of most popular colors in order of purchases.

JadeRaven
27 January 2010, 19:25
Yeah I don't blame them.

For half of Magpul's products Brownells doesn't even carry or backorder OD.

Dos Cylindros
28 January 2010, 08:36
Yes, they are sitting next to my keyboard right now. They are typical Magpul, meaning that they are sturdy and work well.

Thanks stick. At the price I am deffinately going to give this a try on the MOE! I like the VFG on my duty gun, but don't want (or even need) the weight of a rail system on my HD carbine.