PDA

View Full Version : VLTOR enters suppressor market

Dutch
20 January 2010, 16:00
VLTOR a company known for its new weapons innovations and military contracts has chosen to enter a new area of the AR15 market with the introduction of their VS-1 "Volks Suppressor". The initial run will be set to fire the 6x45 and 5.56 cartridges with a .30 and pistol sizes soon to follow.

VLTOR states they have reached their goal of making a suppressor which will be rugged and affordable allowing it to live up to its name as the People's Suppressor! K.L. Davis of VLTOR indicated this unit should be available for $300-$400.

Dutch

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/vltor-2010-cans/stck0143.jpg

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/vltor-2010-cans/stck0143.jpg

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/vltor-2010-cans/stck0195.jpg

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/vltor-2010-cans/stck0196.jpg

Paulo_Santos
20 January 2010, 17:01
Dutch, any news on the iMod Stock?

The suppressor looks nice, especially for the price. Does it just attach to an A2 flash hider or does it involve something else?

Dutch
20 January 2010, 23:23

The suppressor looks nice, especially for the price. Does it just attach to an A2 flash hider or does it involve something else?

Paulo,

Well I am sad to say I failed to ask the important question about the mounting device for the suppressor. The suppressor slides over the flash hider and ratchets into place tightly at the gas block. I will have to stop back by the booth and see if I can get you a more clear answer, just so much to see and try and remember.

I will go and check my notes and get back to you on the iMod Stock and get some more concrete answers for you.

Dutch

rob_s
21 January 2010, 03:30
Looks like there's threads on that collar behind the FH. Be curious to know how that mounts.

Optimus Prime
21 January 2010, 05:35
With that price, I'm going to be watching with much interest.

Paulo_Santos
21 January 2010, 05:42
Looks like there's threads on that collar behind the FH. Be curious to know how that mounts.

It almost looks like the OPS collar. But the barrel looks wierd and it is a little confusing on the pics.

SDDuc996
21 January 2010, 05:51
I am very interested as to the mounting as well. The pricing defintely doesn't hurt either. I wonder what kind of dB reduction the can is producing?

UDT
21 January 2010, 05:52
Thanks, for the update. Nice!

chem_guy
21 January 2010, 11:10
This entry by Vltor has got me very interested into finally very seriously considering jumping into the NFA world.

chenzzo
21 January 2010, 11:26
here's another picture of the mount, apparently it goes behind the FH and is held on by the FH

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs167.snc3/19479_264108678698_595683698_3183105_4266853_n.jpg

Paulo_Santos
21 January 2010, 11:50
I wonder if it is like a sleeve that goes over the barrel or if it is just an extension that is mounted to the threads.

5pins
21 January 2010, 12:28
Well if it is held on by the FH then I would think that is a sleeve. When I saw the first pic it looked like it was part of the gas block. However that would have limited the barrel length. This system looks promising.

caporider
21 January 2010, 12:54
I'm guessing the suppressor adapter is held between the crush washer on the A2 FH and the small shoulder on a typical M4 barrel (circled in red).

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/misc/m4_shoulder.jpg

Either that, or the entire thing is press fit and will require a gunsmith for installation.

ETA: Why 6x45? I wonder if this just means the 5.56 can will be clearanced to fit a 6mm bullet.

Dutch
21 January 2010, 18:15
OK

Here is the scoop on how the VS-1 mount attaches and works!

Step 1: Remove current flash hider from weapon

Step 2: Slide mount over the barrel and screw the mount in place and replace with ANY style flash hider or compensator desired.

Step 3: Attach suppressor and have fun shooting!

The mount will be included in the cost of the suppressor, which I re-inquired about today and once again I was told should retail at $400.

Hope this helps. Will look for product spec sheets soon.

Dutch

Policetacteam
21 January 2010, 19:26

I spoke with Vltor today and the word is the IMOD stock will replace the original MOD stock! This makes sense because the two are nearly identical other than the needed upgrades which it borrowed from the EMOD stock. Pictures and prices could be out as early as Tuesday on Vltors site. The IMOD should remain fairly close in price to the MOD stock too. That's great news for those of us slated to spend more than we make in a year.

As for the cans...I think if any company can make the transition to suppressors Vltor is it! Their reputation for continuously producing quality products has proven year after year. In a market that continues to grow and expand it seems Vltor has proven its ability to evolve!

Dutch
21 January 2010, 20:51
Paulo,

Here is what I was told and could figure out concerning the iMod stock which is set to eventually replace the Mod stock. The initial differences most will notice is its smaller, lighter and more streamlined shape, the IMod will also have a rolled toe on the bottom and a rubber butt pad. The iMod will have an NSN and will also be an OEM part for the Colt Tactical series of rifles and carbines.

Dutch

SDDuc996
21 January 2010, 23:51
I wonder if this collar will fit on the thicker Noveske barrels?

bigcoastie
22 January 2010, 04:18
$400 with the mount is definately going to get people into the supressor market that wouldn't have been before.

I think Vltor's overall reputation will make this a winner if the price stays where it's at currently. It's definately got me interested and if I wasn't looking at moving to a state that allows ownership but doesn't allow you to shoot with them I'd definately start saving.

Optimus Prime
22 January 2010, 11:21
A mount that lets you use ANY flash hider or comp you want that will fit inside should attract people, let alone the price.

markm
22 January 2010, 17:56
Wow! There is actually something interesting from SHOT this year.

Paulo_Santos
22 January 2010, 18:42
I spoke with Vltor today and the word is the IMOD stock will replace the original MOD stock! This makes sense because the two are nearly identical other than the needed upgrades which it borrowed from the EMOD stock. Pictures and prices could be out as early as Tuesday on Vltors site. The IMOD should remain fairly close in price to the MOD stock too. That's great news for those of us slated to spend more than we make in a year.

As for the cans...I think if any company can make the transition to suppressors Vltor is it! Their reputation for continuously producing quality products has proven year after year. In a market that continues to grow and expand it seems Vltor has proven its ability to evolve!

Paulo,

Here is what I was told and could figure out concerning the iMod stock which is set to eventually replace the Mod stock. The initial differences most will notice is its smaller, lighter and more streamlined shape, the IMod will also have a rolled toe on the bottom and a rubber butt pad. The iMod will have an NSN and will also be an OEM part for the Colt Tactical series of rifles and carbines.

Dutch

Thanks for the info guys. I'm a huge fan of the Vltor stocks.

gt_mule
25 January 2010, 18:09
I wonder if this collar will fit on the thicker Noveske barrels?

This is the big question for me. I run several non-m4 profile barrels. Will this system work on a light-weight barrel?

hank
1 September 2010, 13:47
Hey gang- not so sure why it took me so long to register for this site, but there you have it. Anyhoo, I have been trading emails back and forth with one of the reps from Vltor for the last several months, and there is not much update as of right now. Vltor has apparently been busy with mil projects, etc, so it has been slow going with the Volks project but it IS still being worked on as of last email I got from him a few weeks ago.

To confirm a few things- it IS being designed for 12.5" barrels and at least as of right now, the collar is being designed to fit barrels .75" and under.

m249saw
1 September 2010, 16:12
Yay 12.5" barrels. Thanks for the info Hank!

hank
1 September 2010, 19:15
No worries- if I get any more info (especially anything resembling ETA) I'll post it up.